BBC Pay - Please Sir I want some more

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Re: BBC Pay - Please Sir I want some more

Post by Psamathe »

irc wrote:
meic wrote:They will also be showing the latest Matt Damon movie. Do we need to know the wages breakdown of everything that comes out of that particular studio? Hollywood will not be providing that movie for free, they will be expecting "tax payers" money too.

Paying Hollywood isn't a legal requirement to watch TV though. The BBC can't have it both ways. State enforced income collection but no disclosure of pay.

I would agree. Hollywood studios are private operations so can pay their "stars" as much or as little as they want. BBC is effectively a tax funded operation so the ludicrous amounts they are paying their "talent" has to come from our pockets.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Unbelievable many of the names they are paying big bucks to! The footie crowd can take a running one, it's actually a minority interest. Americans often remark about the same old actors turning up in everything British. There are plenty of talented young people out there, give them a chance. Personally I wouldn't pay anyone more than £200k, that's top dollar. If they want to go off to other channels just go just like Wossy and Brand, good riddance.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

al_yrpal wrote:Unbelievable many of the names they are paying big bucks to! The footie crowd can take a running one, it's actually a minority interest. Americans often remark about the same old actors turning up in everything British. There are plenty of talented young people out there, give them a chance. Personally I wouldn't pay anyone more than £200k, that's top dollar. If they want to go off to other channels just go just like Wossy and Brand, good riddance.

Al

yes as I said earlier - since its a public company it should give new talent their first jobs from actor to presenter. Then the company would be doing a public service - I might even buy a tv licence to support them :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

We should try to say and think and write:

*They get paid GBP so and so*

not: *they earn..*
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

and so the story rumbles on

"In an email to Bectu, a BBC representative said: “The actual number of UK employees grades 2-11 who are paid under £20k is 400.” Some employees earning under £20,000 were on less than £16,000, according to the Bectu general secretary, Gerry Morrissey...

The corporation was forced to publish the salaries of its top creative talent by the government, which demanded more transparency on pay. But the exercise has been criticised for raising more questions than it answered.

Those paid by BBC Worldwide, its commercial arm, are not included. And from next year those paid by BBC Studios, its production arm, will also be exempt. In addition, BBC stars do not have to declare their salaries paid by private production companies. For example, BBC Question Time presenter, David Dimbleby, is paid by a production company, Mentorn, so did not appear in last week’s disclosures.

After the publication of what it pays its top talent, former Top Gear presenter and Radio 2 DJ Evans was thought to be the highest-paid BBC star. But, while the corporation confirmed that Graham Norton was paid more than £850,000 from the licence fee, this was not the full picture.

Scrutiny of the accounts of So Television, a production company co-founded by Graham Norton which makes the BBC’s Graham Norton Show, reveals that it also paid the chatshow host more than £2.6m last year."

presumably paid from the licence fee? and I bet tax not paid. no wonder he is so full of mirth laughing at us suckers?

https://www.theguardian.com/media/2017/jul/22/bbc-massive-pay-gap-hundreds-of-workers-and-top-stars?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=236194&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

If all salaries were made public, I think there would be far more to be upset about than the BBC :x

BP investors, for example revolted over an increase to the £15 million in remuneration the the BP top executive gets. I guess the investors wanted a bit more in return for their investment? http://www.telegraph.co.uk/business/201 ... utive-pay/

HSBC must have faced something similar, as their top executive received considerably less remuneration last year over previous years http://insiders.morningstar.com/trading ... ion?t=HSBC Although his pay increased somewhat (to 9.7 million pounds) when they weren't allowed to hand out such large bonuses :roll:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

mercalia wrote:a production company co-founded by Graham Norton which makes the BBC’s Graham Norton Show, reveals that it also paid the chatshow host more than £2.6m last year."

I've been telling you that from the start.

Vorpal wrote:If all salaries were made public, I think there would be far more to be upset about than the BBC

I think Norway do so( you'll know the full detail ) but I think it is logged when you make an enquiry about a salary...... so still not very transparent. A bit like google tracking your viewing of websites, you want to see a colleagues salary without announcing it. There is too much secrecy where remuneration is concerned and that falls into the lap of those who play games to increase their lot rather than just do a good days honest work. There are still many who just go to work, complete all thats expected of them in an acceptable time and don't play the office politics. I found them often to be those on the lowest incomes( but that speaks volumes ), but good people who'd always muck in to solve a problem. Sadly I couldn't say that about those I worked with in senior roles+management, every opportunity to dodge responsibility was the attitude, early finishes, "working from home", sickness that always followed a pattern... school holidays etc. The system works in their favour.

Many years ago I was thinking how we could redress the extremes of directors pay. My solution was to bring in rules whereby no-one in a company could earn more than a multiple of the mean of the workforce. It would take fine tuning but I felt it would work. Many years later I found out that John Lewis the founder of that retailer built such a rule into his organisation. I think I'm just a person who believes in a more balanced capitalism and also in the positive aspects of workers co-operatives and egalitarianism. Oftn people cite how many they employ as if it's a charitable altruistic deed. It isn't, if those staff are needed to meet increased demand and hence increase profits then thats the choice. To not employ would simply mean lost work and a decreased opportunity to increase ones wealth... potentially closing it down. It's a balancing act but your success depends on those you employ and they should be treated in a fair manner not solely as menial individuals to maximise your own income. But we know this is not an uncommon attitude.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

old_windbag wrote:
Vorpal wrote:If all salaries were made public, I think there would be far more to be upset about than the BBC

I think Norway do so( you'll know the full detail ) but I think it is logged when you make an enquiry about a salary...... so still not very transparent.

It is logged when you make an inquiry about a specific person's salary, but what most people do to see how their pay compares is look at statistics, which people can access without logging an enquiry.

I can get the data from my union for other members of my union according to education, gender, years in work, job sector, and type of job. I can also get similar data, though with less detail about job type, from national statistics. I have no reason to know how much Nils Jensen gets paid, if I know that I am paid at median for my education, years of experience, etc. and that my company tends to pay slightly below median. If the opposite were true (I got paid less than median, while the company tends to pay at median), then I might ask how much Nils Jensen makes, so I can use it to talk my boss out of a raise.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I think if we were to publish everyone's salary plus also how much pension people were in receipt of and benefits too it'd make interesting reading. It would certainly show the people who have as a percentage of earnings contributed most into society. I'm growing tired of seeing people on television saying "we pay our taxes" when they are often the ones getting most given back in allowances/tax credits or pension contributions. We could be funding much more essential infrastructure and healthcare/residential care rather than personal lifestyles for individuals. But the uk will continue as it is blundering from crisis to crisis with never a long term plan and handing out money that can be put to better use.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Maybe we should remind some here that its the BBC, like councils etc, they are NOT for profit so there is no measure of performance :!:

For many people like myself who do not watch that much, or put that much value on up to date films and prime programs first shown on sky etc, paying the licence fee is a cheap option, that does not mean that because it seems value for money we should not have some input on how much they employees and so called free lancers are paid.

We don't.

If you look at some of the top paid presenters they have no skill at all............they just appear one day.
What's worse is some of these unskilled lot describe themselves on the net as complete airheads.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:If you look at some of the top paid presenters they have no skill at all............they just appear one day.
What's worse is some of these unskilled lot describe themselves on the net as complete airheads.

They have a skill in the sense they can stand in front of an audience and do stand-up, or read an autocue while the gallery feed instructions into their ear. A bit like patting your head and stroking your stomach. I think it's something many of us may not have, or if not naturals we could be trained to do or not. But the skills they have in that sense are probably within a high percentage of the general public but who haven't craved going to drama school etc when growing up. Also many of the presenters( breakfast tv, news ) across the board have come through public school, oxbridge etc.....

It is very galling as you say some people on TV bragging about how "thick" they are, or how they dropped out of school, whilst now receiving very high remuneration. It's not really a good advert for the next generation.
Boyd

Post by Boyd »

Personally I don't care what they earn? BUT as you are paying them you are entitled to know what you are paying them. One reason I don't care is I am not paying them. I struggle with their belief that I should pay them wherever I watch them or not. As they are also blatantly biased I will never pay them. It's cheaper not to.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like Evans has lost 1/2million listeners

may cut his pay by the same amount?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40806527

I dont understand why a radio star should be paid so much? the BBC hs a dominant position in radio?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:seems like Evans has lost 1/2million listeners

may cut his pay by the same amount?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-40806527

I dont understand why a radio star should be paid so much? the BBC hs a dominant position in radio?

Don't forget he isn't just a radio "star". He also managed to los Top Gear a lot of its audience as well (which maybe does warrant a higher salary ?).

And he's had to spend all that extra unpaid overtime justifying e.g.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2016/05/30/top-gears-first-episode-branded-boring-and-badly-presented-by-fa/ wrote:Top Gear opens with lowest audience in a decade as first episode with Chris Evans branded 'boring' by fans

Ian