low £ value against the euro

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Re: low £ value against the euro

Post by PH »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
I have never seen a Euro....................or a foreign shore so have many others who live in the uk................foreign holidays are for those who can afford them...........................

There's many reasons people may choose not to go abroad, but really there are not many people who can't afford to.
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
661-Pete wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:shock horror........they vote too..and believe / led by their device dribble.
As happened on a certain day in June 2016 I believe.... :evil:

"And never the twain shall meet" :)

"Oh, East is East and West is West, and never the twain shall meet,
Till Earth and Sky stand presently at God's great Judgment Seat;
But there is neither East nor West, Border, nor Breed, nor Birth,
When two strong men stand face to face, though they come from the ends of the earth!"
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
tatanab

Post by tatanab »

PH wrote:
I have never seen a Euro....................or a foreign shore so have many others who live in the uk................foreign holidays are for those who can afford them...........................

There's many reasons people may choose not to go abroad, but really there are not many people who can't afford to.
Indeed. For many years I lived on the south coast. It was quicker, easier and cheaper to hop a ferry to France than to travel to many areas of the UK. More recently, cycle camping in France I spent £600 in 4 weeks including ferry costs. Camping in France is usually cheaper than in the UK so I doubt I'd have done it more cheaply.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

PDQ Mobile wrote:
661-Pete wrote:The Euro is about more than foreign holidays - ...

So very true.

Not about the food and energy, etc. we buy from the EU ?

Collapsing £ means higher costs of imports and we import more than we export (e.g. food) so further feeding inflation. We might not see those € as € but they need to be paid.

Ian
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Plymouth to Roscoff return with your bike is about £115. Municipal campsites are very cheap. Surely that's something that practically everyone can afford?

Foreign currencies do go up and down at the whim of the currency markets. Last time I was over here it was €1.35, so an 18% drop. The expats must be hurting and those touring the UK must be chuffed. The UK supermarkets seem to be doing a great job at holding their prices, hard to see how they are doing it? There's 'Soldes' everywhere here in Brittany, picked up a really nice pair of slip ons for €25 (50% off) this afternoon.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:....
Foreign currencies do go up and down at the whim of the currency markets....

I think the current drop is not a "whim" but concern over the future of the UK economy due to the state of the "negotiations". Sometimes there is no real apparent reason and those movements tend to return back fairly quickly. The current drops are in response to specific events so rates are unlikely to return spontaneously in the short term.

Ian
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I think specific events are just an excuse to play the currency markets. This is the big players/speculators messing around to line their pockets. The real world does not move that fast to make such a big overnight difference.
Three hours ago the son in law, just back from Italy went to the Post Office to sell back his unused Euros. He ad €200. They offered him £155. He held onto them.
Travelex often do good online deals where you pick up from the airport.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

That's all the media ever talk about....................holidays are more important than looking after welfare of us............

That is an interesting comment. Do you actually choose to stay in the UK or is it just the financial situation that keeps you holidaying here? We have a few club members that never bother holidaying abroad and one who has never been out of the country. They seem quite happy about it. I think if I lived in somewhere as vast as the USA I may be the same, but the Uk is far too crowded for me and I'm glad to hit the quiet roads of Europe for a break.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

bigjim wrote:

That's all the media ever talk about....................holidays are more important than looking after welfare of us............

That is an interesting comment. Do you actually choose to stay in the UK or is it just the financial situation that keeps you holidaying here? We have a few club members that never bother holidaying abroad and one who has never been out of the country. They seem quite happy about it. I think if I lived in somewhere as vast as the USA I may be the same, but the Uk is far too crowded for me and I'm glad to hit the quiet roads of Europe for a break.

I'm another who has no wish to go abroad although I did go to Paris on a school trip and again to France while at agricultural college. That was 44 years ago!
My reasons are
Longest break I ever had from work was 10 days and believe a day to get somewhere and a day to get back a complete waste of precious leisure time.
Flew to France and swore never again would I fly, flying seems such a waste of fuel and an investment with very little return for it.
People I meet who regularly holiday abroad so often know little of their own country. They are happy with that but I prefer to learn about the UK and spend my money in the UK.
I disagree that the UK is 'far too crowded' living in D&G may colour that judgement. Only recently, when I made it as far south as Dorset, I've discovered that the South of England might be far too crowded especially if judged by traffic, but even then I found idyllic quiet places.
I'm content with viewing places on 'Streetview' thinking it's far less stress and bother than trying to get to the world wonder in realtime.
I'm content viewing countries while watching racing cycle tours on TV. The only area that continually looks attractive , to me, are the Dolomites.
The other thing I've noticed while watching cycle racing is that it rains in other countries too.

Im retired now so my argument of loosing precious days travelling is no longer relevant so will I go abroad now? Not at the moment as I've still a lot of UK to discover and revisit. If I get bored I think my only possible option will be a European train journey. Reason being you can see a lot from a train window so not exactly a waste of time.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

I tour in the UK and Europe. IMO the UK is overcrowded and I mean traffic. To ride down a smooth tarmaced road and only see a vehicle maybe every 10 or 15 mins is paradise to me. And that vehicle will still give you as much room as possible to overtake. I agree on the flying thing. It is a waste of valuable time and resources I suppose. Somebody once said something about the travelling to the destination to be part of the joy of the holiday. No more it seems.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The UK is part of Europe
Britain is part of Europe

Maybe one might use the phrase *visiting the mainland*. *RoE*, Rest of Europe is maybe not so useful, includes Eire etc

I have never *travelled to Europe* because I have never visited another continent :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Paulatic wrote:
bigjim wrote:

I'm another who has no wish to go abroad although I did go to Paris on a school trip and again to France while at agricultural college. That was 44 years ago!
My reasons are
Longest break I ever had from work was 10 days and believe a day to get somewhere and a day to get back a complete waste of precious leisure time.
Flew to France and swore never again would I fly, flying seems such a waste of fuel and an investment with very little return for it.
People I meet who regularly holiday abroad so often know little of their own country. They are happy with that but I prefer to learn about the UK and spend my money in the UK.
I disagree that the UK is 'far too crowded' living in D&G may colour that judgement. Only recently, when I made it as far south as Dorset, I've discovered that the South of England might be far too crowded especially if judged by traffic, but even then I found idyllic quiet places.
I'm content with viewing places on 'Streetview' thinking it's far less stress and bother than trying to get to the world wonder in realtime.
I'm content viewing countries while watching racing cycle tours on TV. The only area that continually looks attractive , to me, are the Dolomites.
The other thing I've noticed while watching cycle racing is that it rains in other countries too.

Im retired now so my argument of loosing precious days travelling is no longer relevant so will I go abroad now? Not at the moment as I've still a lot of UK to discover and revisit. If I get bored I think my only possible option will be a European train journey. Reason being you can see a lot from a train window so not exactly a waste of time.

some one after my own heart. The days of the Grande Tour of Europe in the C19 are over where the only way to see places was to go? Now we can see New York on TV or in the cinema etc - Just use a bit of imagination? and avoid the heat and sweat and flies and getting colds from passengers in the aircraft? Any one want to see that famous Inca city in Sth America - well you wont see it as it is in the pictures from high up and you will be gasping for breath as its high up, just wandering around a few terraces? The idea of "being there" is much overrated.

There are always places worth visting locally, just need to find them? When I was in Elstree near the BBC studio there is a nice set of ribbon parks that lead to what is called the Timberland trail I think it is called. Was fun to find this just by accident looking at my A-Z

http://www.urban75.org/walks/watling-chase-walk.html

will be a matter of walk and cycle - I did go a small distance along it just to have a decko

when I was up there I had a ride around the Aldenham Country Park - a short ride around the lake by the way they allow "wild camping" at a price - £12.50 a night per person. One memorable short cut was a foot path that went across a fields of I think golden rye - the path was just a narrow slit thru the crop, glorious to turn around 360 degrees and just see the golden field all around. By the way the McDonalds near he studio is very good
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You mean this.... https://www.flickr.com/gp/alyrpal/8LPox6 Must admit we didn't climb up to get the full aerial view you see in some pictures, but we could easily have done so. It isn't that high, about 8500 ft I I think, no shortage of breath. Down the bottom we met an old man who guided us around his garden showing us about 60 of his orchids. Then we had a great lunch in a tinpot shack overlooking a precipice with a truly awesome raging torrent. We looked at the Inca construction work which totally outshone some of the modern reconstruction. The Incas massive stone blocks fit together so precisely it was mind boggling to see. Back at our hotel the chef gave us a demo of how to make a Cerviche and a Pisco Sour. Peruvian food is very different, very exotic and very nice. Had an evening walk along the river and watched exotic butterfly's and birds and looked at the exotic plants, chatted to various locals. And this was just one day. There's more to travel than than just looking at places, it's about meeting people, seeing their very different way of life, animals, birds, insects at first hand.

We have now seen most places we want to see, about 45 countries in all. But...each to their own...

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

Paulatic wrote:I'm another who has no wish to go abroad although I did go to Paris on a school trip and again to France while at agricultural college. That was 44 years ago!
My reasons are

Yes there's plenty of reasons why people choose to spend their leisure time where they do, all good choices, but the point raised was
.foreign holidays are for those who can afford them...........................

and it's not one of the good reasons, although it no doubt applies to some, it's probably the people who can't afford to go anywhere.
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The UK is part of Europe
Britain is part of Europe

Maybe one might use the phrase *visiting the mainland*. *RoE*, Rest of Europe is maybe not so useful, includes Eire etc

I have never *travelled to Europe* because I have never visited another continent :wink:

Pedantic, what? You know what I mean. I'm old school, brought up, in England and Eire, thinking of Europe as over there. Sticks with you.