shrinkflation

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

shrinkflation

Post by mercalia »

"As many as 2,529 products have shrunk in size over the past five years, but are being sold for the same price, official figures show.

The Office for National Statistics (ONS) said it was not just chocolate bars that have been subject to so-called "shrinkflation".

It said toilet rolls, coffee and fruit juice were also being sold in smaller packet sizes"

I have already mentioned under the ice cream thread Mackies Ice cream tubs used to be 1.5l for £3 at Sainsburys now its only 1l

what other products have upu noticed here?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-40703866
cycleruk

Re: shrinkflation

Post by cycleruk »

Shorts seem to be getting smaller around the waist. :roll:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

"it's a classic curly wurly i wanted, a curly wurly should be the size of a small ladder"

"your hands have got smaller"

there's the "fredo" economic commentary by people who only really understand the market's rise and fall through the pricing of childhood snacks, and like many others i was pleased to be vindicated upon waking up to the beeb's coverage of this. no longer shall we suffer in silence.

what can you do? i noticed it most in bottles of coke, with the default now being much smaller. the store-to-store inconsistency also leads to a constant state of uncertainty, and you can never be sure if you're getting good value for money. since i started "properly" cycling again i've had to stay away from fizzy drinks but i'm afraid this is true of all bottled drinks.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

What about restaurant meals?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

you baiting me pete? :P well if you are you're not far off the mark, i have to agree. it was a prison in school, falling in with what my teachers would call "the wrong crowd" because their parents did "propoh" portions when i went round for tea. i dread to think what i'd expect in a nice part of town. two beans atop a toasted soldier? pfft

EDIT thanks to social mobility i now have a middle class pallet with a working class plate :lol:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

ChrisOntLancs wrote:you baiting me pete? :P
I WHAT??? Perhaps you could explain yourself.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

i thought you might be trying to tease me with what is actually quite a controversial issue, meal portions in comparison with annual income.

...believe it or not i've been trying to make you laugh (most of the time) :oops:
PH

Post by PH »

661-Pete wrote:What about restaurant meals?

That's just the sample surely? If you like it they bring you the meal
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

i thought you might be trying to tease me
Well I never! To be honest, I never actually read Chrisetc.'s post. What an odd misconstruing of my post!

Time to have another look at the old Ignore list, I reckon...
ChrisOntLancs

Post by ChrisOntLancs »

661-Pete wrote:To be honest, I never actually read Chrisetc.'s post.

just trying to make light of light of bitterness that seems to always occur between us, but i think adding me to ignore list might help, that's why i suggested it last time it happened, and possibly six or seven times before that. take care!