The Day of the Electric car is nigh

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: The Day of the Electric car is nigh

Post by mercalia »

landsurfer wrote:Am i right in thinking the roads are not exactly full of electric or hybrid HGV's at the moment, or even in development ?
Suppose we could start using electric trains to move more goods around.
Burning wood pellets, imported by ships burning BUNKER fuel, from the USA , to produce the electricity.

well I see the day when we use wood cat litter ( thats for Sweep :lol: )
Mark R

Post by Mark R »

al_yrpal wrote:It's sad that this is only headline reaction politics. Only 30% of the smog is caused by vehicles, no mention of those awful inefficient woodburners, industrial emissions etc? Typical politicians!

Al

Don't believe the hype....that 30% statistic is trotted out regularly by the car industry spivs....sorry, the Public Relations Executives...

The illegal toxic pollution at the roadside (which is what everyone is up in arms about) is almost ALL caused by vehicles
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Big headline but where is all the leccy coming from, oh yeah probably shale gas...

Interestingly, electric vehicles could potentially stabilise a grid to much greater penetration of renewables than is currently possible, both by charging when demand is otherwise low (thereby using wind power that would otherwise be wasted) and even by discharging when supply is low (when the wind stops).

See for instance

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vehicle-to-grid
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Ben@Forest wrote:
meic wrote:
eventually the only time you will see petrol cars on the road, like seeing steam trains
But not in our lifetimes!

And really I think they'll still be common if petrol is available - on Sunday the club run was overtaken by two pottering vintage motorbikes, both two stroke - the smell was pungent!

ah well wasnt me. I used to have a Kawasaki Triple cyclinder 2 stroke, used to use it to go see my dad when he was alive in Lowestoft going along the A12 Like all 2strokes they tend to collect lots of unburnt oil in the silencers and this one did so when I opened her up on the A12, for a few miles left a long plume of smoke behind me, I remember a cop looking over me from the other side of the carriage way :lol:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I wonder if Gove has a wood burning stove continually emitting particulates, especially on a winter Sunday evening apparently? Ships burning heavy fuel oils in the Channel, aircraft..note the Avtur stink around Heathrow. Mainland smog from Europe in East Winds. Vast swathes of solar panels in our countryside, banks of toxic batteries. This 'policy' needs an well thought out all embracing solution not a kneejerk long grass reaction like this that ignores so many things.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Oh yeah :lol: :lol: :lol:
From the political perspective I think the term is "kicked into the long grass",man shakes head in disgust.
Are there any other meaningful and more urgent plans to stop people choking?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
meic

Post by meic »

Listening to today's radio it appears the Guardian article has actually oversold the contents of the announcement in two ways.
We will still be able to buy fossil fuel powered cars that are hybrids in some way, which are actually still fossil fuel powered cars. It is not the end of sales of the cars but the end of production of the cars.
Yma o Hyd
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

meic wrote:We will still be able to buy fossil fuel powered cars that are hybrids in some way

I'd imagine there will be a move to full electric( suitable for many urban commutes ) but with more use of biofuels in place of fossil fuels. But then there is contention for fuel versus crops plus the risk of de-forestation etc in other parts of the globe. There has to be a strong second hand market for the people who don't wish to pay extortionate amounts for a vehicle because it's new technology. That brings in the issue of reaching the 80% life of the battery for the 2nd hand buyer. The cost of batteries being another issue. Lots of issues to resolve it's early days. But 2040 most of us will be dead :( .

Another aspect is the demand for lithium as electric vehicle demand increases, there are limits to the current reserves and I think new areas to be discovered, but some are too costly to mine. Similar to oil in some ways, many wells have vast amounts remaining but innaccessible. The end of life batteries may see action in grid smoothing in domestic applications, the R+D on this is very active and Brian Fox mentioned it earlier. Lot's of recycling to be done beyond that.

I still think we have a good future but still think we need to change our thinking of transport and reduce excessive wasting of energy. Lighter more energy efficient vehicles, longer lifetime vehicles and batteries. HGV's are an issue to be addressed as that would be a very difficult full electric vehicle( battery wise, unless you dedicate a huge amount of load weight/cargo loss to batteries ) but they may stay as IC for a time to come. Thinking about it we could have a tram style electrification, overhead with lorries using pantographs and switching to battery use off motorway, pie in the sky, or copy the daleks. For personal transport I don't see the logic of accelerating larger and larger cars, you get a some mass related energy back on regen braking but I'd prefer lighter lower power requirements.
Last edited by old_windbag on 26 Jul 2017, 11:16pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Novel idea. Why not use a bike for shorter journeys? :D :D
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

old_windbag wrote:But 2040 most of us will be dead :( .

Speak for yourself... I'll still be looking forward to retiring, and it's not like I'm a spring chicken now...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

[XAP]Bob wrote: I'll still be looking forward to retiring, and it's not like I'm a spring chicken now...

Remember that prospect is a moving goalpost for us of youthful age, probably just as the 2040 timeline is too. Take each day as it comes.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:Novel idea. Why not use a bike for shorter journeys? :D :D

Because "cars are essential" in rural and semi-rural areas, according to our politicians :-(
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
gaz

Post by gaz »

old_windbag wrote:Thinking about it we could have a tram style electrification, overhead ... For personal transport I don't see the logic of accelerating larger and larger cars, ... I'd prefer lighter lower power requirements.

The future's bright. The future's dodgems :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Does this mean an end to caravans ...... Available power will plummet as the weight of a caravan is added to the mix.
My grandson has suggested that caravans of the future should have batteries to supplement the towing vehicles power supply ....
We like our caravan .....
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Thought electric drives would benefit caravan owners as full torque from zero rpm. Thought that would be and advantage. The max power output on current drives is quite high so i'd thought better all round. Range is the bugbear but plug in hybrid may be best for now.