Well done Unison

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Well done Unison

Post by PH »

and the Supreme Court as well of course, for their unanimous decision that charging for employment tribunals is unlawful.
Unison kept pushing this, kept being told it was a lost cause, but didn't give up. I wish more of the trade union movement had got behind them. It's still of course biased towards the employer, no tribunal for the first two years employment for example, and of course the present government (Though not contesting the judgement) will find other ways...
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/busin ... 60521.html
reohn2

Re: Well done Unison

Post by reohn2 »

+1
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

+1 from me too.
Well done Unison.

It just so happens, that I went onto our bank website and logged onto our account and cancelled the direct debit to them.
Mrs Mick F had been a member of Unison for many years as she was working as a High Level Teaching Assistant at the local primary school.

She retired yesterday.
Mick F. Cornwall
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

As an employer i also agree that charging for employment tribunals is unfair.
But I do hope that false and vexatious claims will not leave me with the legal bill.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
PH

Post by PH »

landsurfer wrote:But I do hope that false and vexatious claims will not leave me with the legal bill.

This was the argument put forward when the charges were introduced, the Supreme Court found that it wasn't an issue. There was some loud mouth business man making the same point on the radio yesterday, how it would be his ruin, turns out that in ten years of employing 300+ only one of his employees has been to tribunal. There is always the odd ruling we don't understand, usually because we are not given all the facts, but people tend to get advice before taking action, CAB or union, they're usually put off if that advice is that they don't have a reasonable case.
I've just been hearing that although this was bought in by the Tories, it was Vince Cable's idea, what happened to liberalism in the Liberal Party?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Have to agree with you PH ...
In 18 years as an employer i've never had the tribunal issue to deal with ... because if a member of staff is underperforming or struggling ... they have a training need and we support them in that training.
We have had a number of staff who where beyond help and we gave them a generous pay off rather than sack them.
I have recently paid a good redundancy package to my Sales Manager of 12 years... who has sold nothing for 5 years and was Derbyshire's highest paid delivery driver ...
Even the senior member of staff who had been stealing from us was given the resign, with 3 months notice payment, or Derbyshire Constabulary choice.
Our Mission Statement is " Stay Safe, Have Fun, Make Money" ... and will continue too despite DNV's comments!
Be more Mike.
PH

Post by PH »

Mick F wrote:She retired yesterday.

And a happy retirement to Mrs Mick F
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My wife retired 2 years ago ...... but i'm not bitter or jealous ... :evil:
Be more Mike.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Wishing Mrs F a happy retirement.
Mrs P retired 6 months ago I'd send her back to work tomorrow. My mileage has dropped dramatically. She seems to have taken on the role as Clerk of Works I hope it wears off :D
I may need unison :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thread drift here! :wink:

Thanks guys, I'll pass on your best wishes.
Mick F. Cornwall