OAP four-weekly?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
cotterpins

Re: OAP four-weekly?

Post by cotterpins »

You must not assume everybody gets their state pension paid by standing order into a bank. I see lots of pensioners still getting paid weekly in Post Offices. Why "rock the boat" for the people who need their money every week. Once these oldies pass away, and the government succeed in closing all the PO's then you might get a change in the system!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, I know some pensioners personally who get their OAP each week, and why not?
I've gone for being paid into the bank four-weekly.

I can understand that different people want different things, but people like me are not catered for at all.
This day and age with computers and suff ............... it's not rocket science.

Pay me on the last working day of the month please, and if not, on a specific date each month.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

really as long as I get the money and keep on getting it regularly I couldnt care less when :lol: I am not that fussy :D I live within my means so always have enough to spare
barrym

Post by barrym »

mercalia wrote:really as long as I get the money and keep on getting it regularly I couldnt care less when I am not that fussy :D I live within my means so always have enough to spare
I too love within my means which means I only draw just enough from other sources, which means that the pension never seems to arrive when direct debits go out. It's not that it's that difficult just that you'd think they could offer choice. Doesn't seem that complicated.
--
Cheers
Barry
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote: ... ]I don't agree in the slightest with this...

I think you don't understand the point that is being made. "Weekly benefit" is an official term with a specific meaning. You may not like what it means, but it's enshrined in the pension regs., so you are currently stuck with it.

Having said that, there has been a lot of jiggery-pokery amounting almost to deceit about the payment of pensions. This was particularly the case when they were trying to encourage pensioners to accept monthly payment into a bank account and the official letters implied that this was the only permitted means of payment, which was not true. (The irony here is that the loss of this business affected the viability of many post offices, and another arm of govt., was trying to find ways of keeping them open.) I don't know what the current situation is about cash payment ie whether they have changed the regs to make it compulsory to have it paid into an account.

FWIW, throughout my working life I was paid every four weeks: two weeks in arrears, two weeks in advance. As somebody has already commented, thirteen payments a year means one payday each year which doesn't go to the calendar monthly debits. OTOH, my occupational pension is paid at the end of the calendar month, in arrears. So, I had to get used to a change. Hardly a big deal. Getting the state pension every four weeks is just a reminder of what was for me normal. Actually, it's twice every four weeks because my wife has a state pension in her own right. :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

At work I was paid neither weekly nor monthly, we had 'pay periods'. There were eight 4-week periods a year, and four 5-week periods.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the big bad deal is that being married you get less than 2 single people living in sin?
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

My company pays salaries on the 18th of the month, i honestly have no idea why.
I receive my RAF service pension on the 24th of the month, the anniversary of my attestation.
Jules invoices are all paid on the first of the month.
And in 6 or so years my state pension will be paid 4 weekly ..... :roll:
I manage our outgoings by paying everything by DD on the 19th of the month.
Maybe we need a "National Payment Day" even if it's 4 weekly it would be better than the current random payments.

My daughter could never survive on monthly payments, week to week is the only way that works for her ... and many others on lower incomes i suspect.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Some folk will moan about 'owt you get paid every four weeks,what's the problem,every four weeks you get a dollop of cash.
The time to complain is when they stop paying it,not when they pay it more regularly than monthly!

I really don't understand how a four weekly drop of money mucks up anyone's accounts :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

axel_knutt wrote:At work I was paid neither weekly nor monthly, we had 'pay periods'. There were eight 4-week periods a year, and four 5-week periods.

Did you get PPP(Pay Period Pains) :wink:

BTW,that reminds me.
How many wimmin with PMT does it take to change a lightbulb?

JUST ONE! :evil:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Really ............
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:Really ............

Really!
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The "glass ceiling" just dropped another metre there then .......... :roll:
Be more Mike.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

landsurfer wrote:The "glass ceiling" just dropped another metre there then .......... :roll:

Oh grow up,it's a joke.
There's no glass ceiling involved,if you don't find it funny don't laugh!

Q,How many surrealist artists does it take to change a lightbulb?

A, a fish.

Did the glass ceiling on surrealist artists just drop a metre?

Q,how many psychotherapists does it take to change the same lightbulb?

A,just one again, but the bulb has to really want to change

Ceiling caved in.......
Last edited by reohn2 on 30 Jul 2017, 12:51am, edited 1 time in total.
W H Auden
matt_twam_asi

Post by matt_twam_asi »

Getting the state pension every 4 weeks works out at 13 payments over the year, so the Government could save loads of dosh by changing it to a monthly payment. Good idea Mick! ;)