BBC Radio online

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
iandriver

Re: BBC Radio online

Post by iandriver »

I've used getlost@nospam.poo many a time.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Psamathe wrote:
Mick F wrote:.................... or Mac users?

They can't target us, because they don't know who we are or where we are.
Try it on a mobile phone by data with WiFi switched off?

............... I'll try that later.

I'm on a Mac. How would you listen to BBC radio online on a phone with WiFi and Data switched off ?

Ian
Sorry, my poor punctuation and sentence formation.

I mean turn WiFi off and turn Data on.
Listen to BBC Radio online via data, rather than via your home WiFi.

Just tried it with my iPhone.
I have to sign in or register.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:
Psamathe wrote:
Mick F wrote:.................... or Mac users?

They can't target us, because they don't know who we are or where we are.
Try it on a mobile phone by data with WiFi switched off?

............... I'll try that later.

I'm on a Mac. How would you listen to BBC radio online on a phone with WiFi and Data switched off ?

Ian
Sorry, my poor punctuation and sentence formation.

I mean turn WiFi off and turn Data on.
Listen to BBC Radio online via data, rather than via your home WiFi.

Just tried it with my iPhone.
I have to sign in or register.

On iPhone over WiFi: Just tried Radio 4 no questions atall, just started playing. Then tried Radio 2, again just started playing, no questions no info wanted, completely anonymous.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I wonder why?
Why ok for you, and not for us here?
Maybe they're targeting areas of the country?

---------------------------------
Ah ............. just thought.
We're with Vodafone and as we have a poor and variable signal here at home, we bought a Sure Signal device.
This is a signal booster, and all our calls and data go through the land line!
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile- ... 5375-white
What I need to do, is go away from home to try it.
(if I turn it off, we may not have a decent mobile signal at all)
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:I wonder why?
Why ok for you, and not for us here?
Maybe they're targeting areas of the country?

---------------------------------
Ah ............. just thought.
We're with Vodafone and as we have a poor and variable signal here at home, we bought a Sure Signal device.
This is a signal booster, and all our calls and data go through the land line!
http://shop.vodafone.co.uk/shop/mobile- ... 5375-white
What I need to do, is go away from home to try it.
(if I turn it off, we may not have a decent mobile signal at all)

Probably down to what steps you take to protect your (online) privacy.

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Could be.
We have a fixed IP address due to problems with a difficult broadband.
Wires come over the fields and through the trees. When it works, it's fast and good, but when it doesn't, it's rubbish.

Any road up, we ain't paying for a TV licence. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote: and all our calls and data go through the land line!

So you have a landline in use and pay rental through another party. Do you also have broadband through someone outside of vodaphone or do you use the vodaphone account for all your internet use and have it piped over the landline due to weak/intermittent signal( using any data allowance ). I have an adsl broadband provider so in the house I just use laptop or smartphone on wifi to access the internet. I rarely use mobile data except when out and wanting to check buses on live map for a minute or two. Home use of the wifi does not come out of my allowance( its my adsl account ). Three mobile also have an app to allow calls and text to be sent over landline and they are charged at standard account rate. Useful for weak signal areas as per your situation( and mine at times ).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

The landline and broadband are with PlusNet and have been since we first went online back in 2002.

The Vodafone account is also long-standing, though not as long. We were with Orange originally, but they turned their signal off locally, so went to Vodafone who's signal was good, though not so good now. I blame the trees that continually grow and block out the light and block out the RF energy

We both have SIM only contracts.
The PlusNet account is unlimited broadband, but only evenings and weekends for the landline phone ............ which we hardly ever use.

The Sure Signal unit plugs into a power socket and there's an ethernet connection to the wireless router.
This means that all our telephone calls from our mobile phones go via our unlimited PlusNet connection.

Free phone calls and data 24/7 basically, but only from home ............ or thats the way I understand it.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:The landline and broadband are with PlusNet and have been since we first went online back in 2002.

The Vodafone account is also long-standing, though not as long. We were with Orange originally, but they turned their signal off locally, so went to Vodafone who's signal was good, though not so good now. I blame the trees that continually grow and block out the light and block out the RF energy

We both have SIM only contracts.
The PlusNet account is unlimited broadband, but only evenings and weekends for the landline phone ............ which we hardly ever use.

The Sure Signal unit plugs into a power socket and there's an ethernet connection to the wireless router.
This means that all our telephone calls from our mobile phones go via our unlimited PlusNet connection.

Free phone calls and data 24/7 basically, but only from home ............ or thats the way I understand it.

"but only evenings and weekends for the landline phone" oh I havent seen that deal would interest me as I also with plusnet. How much do you pay a month?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

When i first acquired a smartphone it was for use as a means to do some software development. I started on Vodafone as they were selling the phone at very low cost. I purchased and played the chap in the shop along as i was going to switch to three payg after the one month timeout. Three payg is very low cost, as i was about to leave the chap said "i think for how you intend using the phone i'd use your top up over next month and then get a three payg sim" :lol: must have read my mind.

The downside of vodaphone was no 3g in my area. The downside of 3 is they only have 3g and thats what i get. I say downside as i'd like 2g and 3g as the signal propogation of 2g frequencies into buildings is much better so good for calls and texts. The 3g is weak and can have to go upstairs to get reliable call. Never an issue on 2g, met many who have had similar issue. The 3g being better for multimedia applications.

They're keen to roll out the next generation before many can't get reliable previous generation signals.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mercalia wrote:"but only evenings and weekends for the landline phone" oh I havent seen that deal would interest me as I also with plusnet. How much do you pay a month?
Screen Shot 2017-08-03 at 06.46.23.png
Mick F. Cornwall
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

As much as I could have "bargained" with BT to get a bundle at a particular price...... I just found I was sick of the permutations of things you could have/ couldn't have and the tie in to 12-18 month contracts with penalties for leaving..... and subsidising their excrement filled BT sport division. I just wanted straigtht forward honest billing with clear costs( low ) and no contract. Two companies I looked at for phone and broadband were Uno and Idnet.

These use a mix of bt wholesale or tiscali business for their delivery but the pricing/packages is their own. You can add free calls anytime etc but for my use the standard call pricing means I spend about £1.50 per month on calls.... so not worth extra cost.I needed the line primarily for adsl so the line rental was cheaper than BT( even though they are being made to lower it for phone only customers by ofcom ) Monthly contract so easy to jump ship if not happy and Idnet had no migration charge in. Worth a look for anyone in the market. I get about 10.5Mbps on adsl so perfect for my sort of use as it is at the limit of my lines physical capabilities, best speed I've ever had in fact.