BBC Radio online

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

BBC Radio online

Post by Mick F »

Seems we have to sign in now to listen to BBC online radio.

They want your email address, your postcode, your age and gender - ostensibly to gauge who and where is using their services.
I've put in a fictitious email address, a fictitious postcode, a fictitious age and preferred not to tell them my gender.

All fine, and back listening again.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Re: BBC Radio online

Post by Bonefishblues »

You're getting more "Survivalist"* by the day :D

*As I think they are termed in the USA

...Beeb haven't asked me as yet - wonder why?
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote:They want your email address, your postcode, your age and gender - ostensibly to gauge who and where is using their services.
I've put in a fictitious email address, a fictitious postcode, a fictitious age and preferred not to tell them my gender.

A fictitious official will be knocking at your fictitious door very soon to ensure you are only listening to fictitious programmes. Be very wary.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

old_windbag wrote:
Mick F wrote:They want your email address, your postcode, your age and gender - ostensibly to gauge who and where is using their services.

A fictitious official will be knocking at your fictitious door very soon to ensure you are only listening to fictitious programmes. Be very wary.

I don't think they've yet found the last one who did that, have they :wink:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

This window comes up.
Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 10.42.54.png

Up until today, that window had words to the effect as "I'll do it later" which you could click, but after a day or two, you couldn't. In that case, I would delete my cookies and start again.
As from this morning, no matter what I do with history or cookies, I can't get in without registering.

All these fictitious officials will be going to the fictitious address. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
rjb

Post by rjb »

Mick F wrote:

To check you have a fictitious licence. :lol:

Why not use a wireless - it's so much easier :wink:
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Unfortunately across all internet services( i.e google etc ) there is too much pervasiveness happening and in a blackmail sort of way. This didn't happen as much as it does today, i.e. to continue using agree to our licence terms which cover all manner of forwarding your IP address to third parties for advertising and the like. You disagree with the terms and you can't install the application. So they put in whatever they like in the terms to suit there misuse of your details and you either allow or don't have access to their service/software. The price of "free" I guess.

On an android app for arriva buses it states "application wishes to access your contacts and phone numbers deny/allow". So I say deny, it then says application won't be able to plot journeys to contacts addresses etc. astonishing. Anyway my android apps tend to have very restricted use due to my denying access to a lot :) . Another non photo related app wanted access to my photo album, and another wanted to upload my images to an image site flickr type of thing. Simply keep your nose out of my non facebook, non twitter world thankyou.

A world open to misuse of information.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I'm listening to BBC radio as I write this (internet NOT airwaves) and I've not had to sign-in and was nt asked for any info. Maybe they are targeting individuals ?

Ian
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

.................... or Mac users?

They can't target us, because they don't know who we are or where we are.
Try it on a mobile phone by data with WiFi switched off?

............... I'll try that later.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Psamathe wrote:I'm listening to BBC radio as I write this (internet NOT airwaves) and I've not had to sign-in and was nt asked for any info. Maybe they are targeting individuals ?

Ian

No problem listening at the moment. I don't listen via a laptop but use a Robert's internet radio, I'm not sure how I could sign in if required.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:This window comes up.Screen Shot 2017-08-02 at 10.42.54.png

Up until today, that window had words to the effect as "I'll do it later" which you could click, but after a day or two, you couldn't. In that case, I would delete my cookies and start again.
As from this morning, no matter what I do with history or cookies, I can't get in without registering.

just hope some one else didnt invent some one who happens to be you at your address, given the population of the UK I wonder what the odds are? :lol: :lol: maybe your neighbour or some one who dont like you

I use freeview radio, no way to login there
cycleruk

Post by cycleruk »

As far as I am aware you don't need a license to listen to BBC radio or any other. So why they want your details ?
Yes I have the same on-screen request and have signed up. Didn't think to give a false Email. :oops:
You'll never know if you don't try it.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Why?

Information gathering. They provide the online service so they can dictate the rules I suppose. Once you get online BBC, you can access any of their content including iPlayer and live BBCTV, so they have to put some sort of gatekeeper on it.

We've no intention of watching anything that the BBC chuck out, so it's no issue for us. We listen to online radio because we have an iMac in the livingroom (where other people might have a TV) and that is our entertainment hub. Radio, DVDs, music etc. There's a WiFi speaker fed from it that we can take round the house or even outside to listen to.

There's a DAB radio in the workshop and one in the bedroom too ....... though they are rarely used.
Mick F. Cornwall
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Mick F wrote:.................... or Mac users?

They can't target us, because they don't know who we are or where we are.
Try it on a mobile phone by data with WiFi switched off?

............... I'll try that later.

I'm on a Mac. How would you listen to BBC radio online on a phone with WiFi and Data switched off ?

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

It's not just BBC Radio. Last Sunday our dependable old microwave finally went "pffffffttt!" and we needed to get a new one in a hurry. Best bet for us, it being a Sunday, was to drop in at the nearest Curry's ... but for us 'nearest' meant either Brighton or Crawley, which are some 25 miles apart in opposite directions - so I wanted to check stock of our preferred model, before venturing out.

It turns out that the only way you can check stock at Curry's, now, is to actually make a 'reserve and collect' order - which means supplying them with personal details including E-mail address. OK, we did that - which was just as well because it transpired they had stock at Crawley but not at Brighton.

So they now have personal info and can bombard us with more 'goodies'..... :evil:

I guess other retailers online are the same now. They don't want people barging into their websites without some payback!
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).