Where is Boris Johnson?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Re: Where is Boris Johnson?

Post by mercalia »

build a bridge just a cunning plot to make a million : sell plots for luxury pads. bags I the one in the middle.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Bridge to France!
Ha.
He burns those.

Such a load of complete tosh.

Spend the NHS's £350 a week for more years than any of us have left. Right.

Please invest some money instead in electrifying and improving our existing rail network everywhere and to the Tunnel.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like he is descendant of the BASEL DUMMY?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-42805485

and she dont look too happy about it :lol:

when told the news sho was reported as saying "I wish I was dead"
Attachments
Basel  Mummy.JPG
PH

Post by PH »

He's had a busy week, apart from the Irish border gaffs he's been not explaining what happened to the £40 million spent on the bridge that never was.
https://www.theguardian.com/politics/20 ... WEML6619I2
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I thought his addressing Emily Thornberry as "Baroness what's her name" in the House beyond contempt.
She is his opposite number, the Shadow Foreign Secretary, elected just as he is, and he should address her correctly.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/av/uk-politic ... -of-sexism

They obviously taught little in the way of manners or the workings of our democracy at Eton.
Just how to "fag" and be boorish.

His memory isn't up to much either it would seem.
All in all a poor Foreign Secretary. IMV

Still his arrogance riled The Speaker alright, his eyes were blazing!
Well said Mr Bercow!!
Last edited by PDQ Mobile on 27 Mar 2018, 9:56pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I don't know whether it's still the rule, but isn't it customary that MPs (apart from The Speaker) do not address one another by name in the Chamber? Rather they have to use phrases like "The Honourable Member for [constituency]", or "My Right Honourable Friend" (it it's someone in the same party), or some-such. So it would have been wrong for Bozo to call Emily Thornberry - well, just that - in any case.

Perhaps he was using some sort of circumlocution due to having forgotten what constituency Ms Thornberry represents? (it's Islington South and Finsbury before anyone asks...)
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:............Perhaps he was using some sort of circumlocution due to having forgotten what constituency Ms Thornberry represents? (it's Islington South and Finsbury before anyone asks...)

Or perhaps he's just a git :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

reohn2 wrote:Or perhaps he's just a git :?
No - there's no need for the "perhaps" in that statement... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

661-Pete wrote:I don't know whether it's still the rule, but isn't it customary that MPs (apart from The Speaker) do not address one another by name in the Chamber? Rather they have to use phrases like "The Honourable Member for [constituency]", or "My Right Honourable Friend" (it it's someone in the same party), or some-such. So it would have been wrong for Bozo to call Emily Thornberry - well, just that - in any case.

Perhaps he was using some sort of circumlocution due to having forgotten what constituency Ms Thornberry represents? (it's Islington South and Finsbury before anyone asks...)

To be thread to needle, they don't address one another at all, but address the Speaker, referring to variations of " The Honourable Member." He may act the buffoon, but he's not lacking in intelligence. It's a studied act, and IMO this was just a way of trying to show his contempt without overstepping. It goes down well in local tory associations.

Perhaps our strong and stable Prime Minister is giving him enough rope etc. Unfortunately, he's showcasing his stand up comedy act and being Foreign Secretary at the same time, when there's a busy agenda. Time to give up the day job?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:To be thread to needle, they don't address one another at all, but address the Speaker, referring to variations of " The Honourable Member." He may act the buffoon, but he's not lacking in intelligence. It's a studied act, and IMO this was just a way of trying to show his contempt without overstepping. It goes down well in local tory associations.
Yes, you're right - I think MPs are allowed to point at other members (well, they often do) but not to address them.

Plenty of archaic rules still in force in that revered old assembly. For example, members may not approach opposing members to within two sword-lengths during a debate (for obvious reasons dating from the time when swords were routinely worn in the chamber). There is quite a vocabulary of 'unparliamentary' words which members may not utter - it's probably more extensive than the 'swear-word' list on this forum. "Liar" is probably the best-known example.

It used to be the case that if a (male) member wanted to raise a point of order with the Speaker during a division, he had to don a top hat (I don't know what the rule was for ladies). But that rule has since gone out the door - presumably because top hats are in rather short supply these days!

Perhaps our strong and stable Prime Minister is giving him enough rope etc. Unfortunately, he's showcasing his stand up comedy act and being Foreign Secretary at the same time, when there's a busy agenda. Time to give up the day job?
That presupposes that we know which of his 'jobs' is the day job....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Or perhaps he's just a git :?
No - there's no need for the "perhaps" in that statement... :twisted:

I was giving him the benefit of the doubt,I'm charitable like that :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Leanne Wood got into trouble for referring to the Queen as 'Mrs Windsor'

Will JoBo be punished likewise for his lack of respect?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Quoted by an Old Cyclist:

'Contempt, like respect, has to be earned'

A suitable phrase here I think
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

seems like he has a relative in Denmark
"Denmark's immigration minister has been widely rebuffed after she suggested Muslims should take time off work during Ramadan because of potential safety risks to the rest of society."
denmark.JPG

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-44209471

Any one know of other relatives elsewhere in the EU?
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I see Boris now wants his own place
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-plane-uk-eu-trade-deals-raf-voyager-a8364651.html wrote:Boris Johnson is under fire after calling for his own “Brexit plane” to help him drum up trade around the world when the UK leaves the EU.

An existing RAF Voyager jet - which is shared by the prime minister, senior cabinet members and the royal family - “never seems to be available,” the foreign secretary protested.

And he wants a nice pretty one as well
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/boris-johnson-brexit-plane-uk-eu-trade-deals-raf-voyager-a8364651.html wrote:The Voyager’s drab grey colours also undermined Britain’s reputation when the country needed a powerful “flagship”, Mr Johnson said.

Ian