Where is Boris Johnson?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
bikepacker

Re: Where is Boris Johnson?

Post by bikepacker »

PH wrote:
bikepacker wrote:You would like him to be in 10 Downing Street doing the same fantastic job for the UK as he did for cycling in London. :wink:

You mean like the Boris bikes? Initiated by Ken Livingstone. Cycling was on the up well before Boris got hold of City Hall. Opportunist rather than leader. If you want to look at what could have been a revolution in London's transport, have a look at the GLC's plans in the 80's, outlawed by the Tory government.
Boris cancelled the plans to extend the congestion charge zone, something that would have benefited all London cyclists. There's a whole list of vanity projects, some have come to fruition, others have swallowed millions of pounds before falling off the table, routemaster busses, garden bridge, estuary airport, tunnel under Hyde Park, Thames cable car... scale that up to a national level and we'd all be in trouble.

Bendy Buses one of the biggest dangers to London cyclists. Boris got rid of them.
Cycle superhighways. Boris got the funding for them to go ahead.
Boris bikes. Livingston only highlighted what was being done in other cities. Boris instigated them and got them on the streets.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

bikepacker wrote: ... Some chap named Winston Churchill.

You have it hole-in-one. I suspect that's exactly how he sees himself.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

We may think that these politicians have great long holidays whilst Parliament of off for all their many breaks. But for them, in reality it's all work, work, work, work.

In Boris' case he's frantically busy scheming, plotting, gathering his support whilst working out how to overthrow May without any sign of being involved in any way. Plus, on top of all that he's got to work out who he'll be up against and how to stymie their campaigns, he's got to pander to the press barons (which also means driving a wedge between Gove, Mrs. Gove and Murdoch, somehow - not straight forward).

So we may think they are swanning around looking forward to their fabulous pensions, but reality is that the plotting and scheming take a lot of time and effort.

Of course cynics would say they are paid to work for the good of the country rather than spend their time furthering their own interests and careers.

Ian
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

bikepacker wrote:Bendy Buses one of the biggest dangers to London cyclists. Boris got rid of them.
Evidence please?

.....one of the biggest dangers to London cyclists: the badly-designed ones that is.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
PH

Post by PH »

bikepacker wrote:Bendy Buses one of the biggest dangers to London cyclists. Boris got rid of them.

Yes, the bendy buses had to go, un-economical and impractical on many London routes. TfL wanted a more envioromentally friendly alternative that was already available, Boris campaigned for the new routemaster, five years on and they're already being phased out for the bus they could of got in the first place .
https://www.designweek.co.uk/issues/2-8 ... ternative/

I've hardly used them, so wouldn't like to comment on how effective they are, however good they'll only be used for a tiny percentage of London cycle journeys. When they're bad, like the murderous Bow roundabout, there was a reluctance from he mayor to admit they'd got it wrong, despite all the independent evidence.
Boris bikes. Livingston only highlighted what was being done in other cities. Boris instigated them and got them on the streets.

Google says this is factually incorrect
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/ho ... 81025.html

...and from the above article KL says
His 10-year plan also includes creating a dozen commuter "corridors" into central London and opening up 20mph cycle zones in the outer London boroughs. He also pledged to create "streets of gold" in which pedestrians could walk unhindered by traffic.

Any guesses what happened to some of those plans?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

I see, once again, someone has no answers, offers no reply and no evidence to support their claims.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Unless my eyes deceive me, there was a whole lot more to this thread, last time I looked at it. Whether that included any contributions from the individual you're referring to, I'm not sure.

Sadly, there are times when this forum becomes 'not a very nice place'. Human nature in the cybersphere, I suppose.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Pete
Yep the thread has been trimmed due to the individual in question's name calling because he apparently doesn't like being proved wrong.
Yes you're right it can become quite bad when some individuals attack the man not the ball,it just shows their true colours :?
W H Auden
bikepacker

Post by bikepacker »

Regarding the last couple of comments and the statement I had been proved wrong read below because no one has done so. Also due to having done a really nice 50 mile ride with my wife today, culminating in a picnic lunch on the Malvern Hills, I have not read any of this topic since last night.

First no one can be in a doubt that Boris got rid of Bendy Buses and that they presented a danger to cyclists. I have ridden amongst them extensively in London, Nice and on the Costa del Sol where I had a holiday home. The later was particularly dangerous as there were regular accidents with cyclists. Twice I was forced off the road by them and I regard myself as a very careful and safety conscious cyclist.

Second Boris became London mayor in May 2008 first cycle hire bikes became available 30th July 2010. Hence the got the name Boris bikes and not Kens bikes.

Lastly a quote from Bike Biz Friday, May 13th 2016.”That chilly March day in 2013 Boris Johnson cycled along Victoria Embankment with Chris Boardman to launch his £913m Cycling Vision, with the East-West Cycle Superhighway its flagship scheme. It was the start of a sea change – a road change – the likes of which London has never seen.” Whether or not they are a success was not what I stated that is for the daily users to decide. He did however instigate them and found the funding.

This will be the last reply I give on the topic as I know others struggle to get in the last word they can have it. BTW my true colour is Blue and I do not and never have been a supporter of Boris Johnson.
There is your way. There is my way. But there is no "the way".
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

But why the derogatory comments that needed to be removed from your post at the top of this page?

FWIW personally I'll debate with anyone who will debate the subject matter and I'll admit it when I'm wrong.
You could've debated the point but you chose to attack the poster,which is a bad show and not for the first time.
W H Auden
PH

Post by PH »

Another Boris vanity project bites the dust, at least this one only cost the taxpayer £46 million.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-40921373
Flinders

Post by Flinders »

bikepacker wrote:
Second Boris became London mayor in May 2008 first cycle hire bikes became available 30th July 2010. Hence the got the name Boris bikes and not Kens bikes.

But the scheme was initiated and largely set up by Livingstone. All Johnson did was not cancel it.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Still no sign (hide nor hair) of the man!

No statements, comments or policy announcements!
Foreign Secretary is perhaps one of the top five or six governmental positions?

A Foreign Secretary hidden?
Or just scared?
AlaninWales

Post by AlaninWales »

A simple internet search for his name and august 2017 turns up several recent statements, also https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/03/boris-johnson-momentum-campaign-labour-marginal-seats. I take it suggestions that he is hiding (false, given the obvious reports findable by anyone who bothers looking) may be one direction such a campaign might take
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

AlaninWales wrote:A simple internet search for his name and august 2017 turns up several recent statements, also https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2017/aug/03/boris-johnson-momentum-campaign-labour-marginal-seats. I take it suggestions that he is hiding (false, given the obvious reports findable by anyone who bothers looking) may be one direction such a campaign might take

Jesus I'm not searching for him!
I am not campaigning either. Though I disagree with him on the EU issue particularly.

He's the Foreign Secretary and he is just not around any more.
Given the global political wrangles going on plus domestic racist violence in the USA one might expect a statement or two from him?
Mrs May gave a statement about America today.
Johnson is notable (for such a high profile figure)by his absence from the public eye.
Asses and elbows spring uncontrollably to mind!!