Wanted. Small car.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
old_windbag

Re: Wanted. Small car.

Post by old_windbag »

:lol: I looked at superchips at thread start as I was curious if they could do much and it was for prius if I recollect and it was only to improve gear transitions, smoother. I think it's as good as toyota could make it within the purpose of what its for.

0-60 in 11.8 secs may not tear your neck muscles but I don't think it's going to affect your everyday driving, torque is the winner I think.

Actually the ecoboost 1.0 is good in that respect, chap at superchips said it was impressive for how much power it could produce. But in its 100bhp, 125ft lbs manufacturer form it is perfectly good at what it does.

Edit: If anyone is interested in their cars power/torque curve you can often find your engine on there( superchips website ) before and after remapping, but it gives you an idea of it's base curve.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

old_windbag wrote:0-60 in 11.8 secs may not tear your neck muscles but I don't think it's going to affect your everyday driving, torque is the winner I think.
Utterly agree.

I doubt anyone actually does 0 to 60 in real life. What people want is torque and pulling power. There's so very few places where you can overtake these days on the open road, so it's all a bit academic. So long as a car eats the hills nicely, it's ok by me .......... and the Yaris Hybrid does.

BTW, most of our cars over the years have had names.
Bilbo, Miss Brown, Pixel, Lennie, Dottie .......... to name just a few.
Present Clio is called Fleur, and the Fiat500 called Rosa.

Struggling to think of name for our Pure White Yaris, but the short list consists of Sooty (rather obtuse of an opposite), Claris the Yaris, and would you believe it .............. Rolf Yaris. :lol:

Still thinking.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Brid, surely?

That way you could greet your car with a cheery Hi each time you get in.

...I'll get my coat.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Anita seems ok. A bit more tasteful than Rolf.
Anita Yaris?

We know some people who had a dog called Briddy because it came from Bridestowe, Devon. Mind you, we also know someone who had a puppy called Murphy because they took it home in a Murphy's crisps box. :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
sjs

Post by sjs »

Mick F wrote:Anita seems ok. A bit more tasteful than Rolf.
Anita Yaris?

We know some people who had a dog called Briddy because it came from Bridestowe, Devon. Mind you, we also know someone who had a puppy called Murphy because they took it home in a Murphy's crisps box. :lol:

Chopper Yaris?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

sjs wrote:
Mick F wrote:Anita seems ok. A bit more tasteful than Rolf.
Anita Yaris?

Chopper Yaris?

Very good - I see what you did there on both levels :D
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Sometimes the registration can give rise to a name to as someone I worked with christened my car by( much to my discontent :) ). Oh and it wasn't AR 5 HLE either :wink: . Save that for one of jeremy clarksons cars.

Claris the yaris rhymes nicely. It's a more feminine car like the clio. You shouldn't get attached to material goods but I do get attached to cars, bikes etc, they become entwined in your life and adventures.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Chopper Yaris!
:lol:

Just been looking at anagrams for "Toyota Yaris Hybrid".
https://new.wordsmith.org/anagram/anagr ... =n&q=n&k=1
Birthday Airy Sooty?

Also thought of Whispering Bob Yaris.
Mick F. Cornwall
barrym

Post by barrym »

Mick F wrote:
Also thought of Whispering Bob Yaris.

Now that's a good 'un. Used to think he was so uncool back in Whistle Test days, but now I think he's one of the coolest guys on radio. Strange how age changes tastes. Never liked Tony Blackburn or Tom Jones, both I find quite entertaining now in their different ways. Others too I expect just can't think who right now.
--
Cheers
Barry
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Emmylou Yaris.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote:At the moment I have a Eurobox, a Stag and a recently acquired VW T25 ' brick' Camper. The Stag will be going soon replaced by the Camper as the prime 'tinkering' vehicle. After replacing most of the dangerous wiring last weekend I think it had been owned by a series of Arch Bodgers in the past. I am thinking of ripping out the interior and replacing it with a better interior to my own design over the winter. The Eurobox will be going at some point. I am thinking of replacing it with a fully restored Vitesse or Herald. Then everything will be simple and Vintage like me! I can do without modern vehicle innovations, and theres the attraction of no VED, very low insurance. On the other hand you must spend more on maintenance, but, without the eye watering depreciation costs of modern vehicles.

Might look for a penny farthing too... :lol:

Al

I've noticed in your earlier posts your liking for the Stag. Now you are planning to sell it I can say without any doubt in my mind they were always a really odd car. The design was quite pleasant to look at but was it sports car? Answer no, Was it a family car? Answer no. In fact Triumph invented a new class of car that other manufacturers chose not to follow.
I've owned an early 1200 Herald and had to change a half shaft when one snapped, good enough car but plenty of body rattles. A few years later I had a 2 litre vitesse. Beautifully smooth six cylinder engine, quick for the day and still with plenty of body rattles. I'd have another tomorrow if they weren't fetching such silly prices. Then again the thought of crawling under a car to fix something and I come back to reality :D
Sorry Mick for the thread drift.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No issue with thread drift! :D

We had a white Herald 1250 in 1972/73.
Finally rusted to such an extent, we had to scrap it. :oops:
SLG 759D

Bought in Ormskirk, Lancashire in early 1972 and I drove it up and down the M6/M5.
Flat out, it would do about 85mph and I used to floor the throttle and go for it. One night on a Sunday driving back to Portsmouth in darkest Staffordshire M6, I was pulled over the coppers.
I was asked to show them my pilot's licence! :lol:

They let me off with a warning and I behaved myself for a while.
Mick F. Cornwall
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

Out Landy gets called Alan and has done for the last 29 years :D

(ALN***B)

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
colin54

Post by colin54 »

If you find it roomy , you might perhaps name it ' Yaris Hilton '.
Nu-Fogey
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

colin54 wrote:If you find it roomy , you might perhaps name it ' Yaris Hilton '.

The blokes who've spent a night in there give it good reviews but I couldn't find it on trivago.