Wanted. Small car.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
squeaker

Re: Wanted. Small car.

Post by squeaker »

al_yrpal wrote:Some muppet had wired the electric petrol pump to the positive side of the coil with a loose spade connector which fell off.
'coil', 'spade connector': ah the joys of old motors :roll: :lol:
"42"
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

squeaker wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:Some muppet had wired the electric petrol pump to the positive side of the coil with a loose spade connector which fell off.

Heres a couple more for you, "rotor arm , contact breaker (points)
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

al_yrpal wrote:What do you reckon the cost of the Fiat was Mick? The difference between what you paid and what you were given in part exchange? I only ask because it may make me feel better about the VW T25 Camper money pit
Don't ask ..............

Actually, since you did ask ..........
We paid £8,400 for it at 3years old and 13,800miles.
Traded in for £3,400 at 6years old and 28,800miles.
New and fairly new, they command a good price, but as the age, people like to get rid of them ............... or that is my experience and information.

The Fiat500's look a million dollars, but are built for cents - or even peanuts.
Glad to be shot of it, though it was fun fun fun to drive. :D
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Thanks for that Mick. Newish cars do depreciate fast, its a sobering thought. Ancient money pits eat your cash too, but those figures arent too bad. I have pictures of my kids in a Fiat 500 we hired in Majorca in the early 70s, they loved it, so did I.
A decent Classic holds its value, but finding one is the problem. Lots of admiring comments about my Camper - 'Rusty' as he is now known. If only they knew! :lol:

Enjoy the Yaris!

Al
Last edited by al_yrpal on 1 Sep 2017, 6:22pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote: Seems that the car was at the dealers in late March of this year, and had only done 68miles until we bought it in late August.

When I purchased my 2nd hand car I asked to see two models in silver from their dealers website( a full franchised dealer ). One was at the front of the garage, the other took 10-15mins to find in the rear compound. How easy is it to lose a car? It had to be jumped with a battery to start it and when I viewed the engine bay it had leaves in it from the bonnet being left up. The car I eventually bought was the mint condition one of same age, this was traded in at start of march and I bought start of july. So a mint condition low mileage 2yr old car....... but took 4months to sell. But inside the garage there was a non-stop queue of customers for cars...... all on pcp. The salesman said that I was unusual in buying 2nd hand and that they didn't have a huge demand for such there was little interest. He said the 2nd hand cars would be on the forecourt for a certain time and then sent to auction if not sold. I was able to view my car over a one month period without any third party interest in it, nice not to have the pressure.

I think the way people buy cars and how they are viewed has changed. They are happy to simply pay the front end depreciation for 3yrs( as pcp does ) then repeat the same process again. Always having a shiny car on the drive.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

re automotive incontinence smell issues, I'd be pretty sure it eminates from the heating system somewhere - you sometimes get a similar smell from shop refrigeration systems which need servicing.
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

old_windbag wrote:I think the way people buy cars and how they are viewed has changed. They are happy to simply pay the front end depreciation for 3yrs( as pcp does ) then repeat the same process again.

Financial illiteracy, to accompany the common linguistic one and cool-to-have mathematical one.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote:Broke down in my VW T25 Camper on the A303 right opposite Stonehenge yesterday - nice view of the stones! Some muppet had wired the electric petrol pump to the positive side of the coil with a loose spade connector which fell off. The 3 mile queue behind me got even worse with massive trucks scraping by on the single carriageway. :shock: Lot of cursing from delayed motorists!
Met Ben Bailey Smith (Doc Brown) at the Festival later, he has a T25 too and he broke down on the way as well! His was just by the forecourt of a garage with a Simply M&S. Better place than me!

What do you reckon the cost of the Fiat was Mick? The difference between what you paid and what you were given in part exchange? I only ask because it may make me feel better about the VW T25 Camper money pit :| . A couple of grand spent on welding and a new clutch so far and lots more to spend by the look of it. :(

Al

Oh that sounds a bit stressful, part of owning old vehicles I'm afraid until you've spent loads of money putting everything right or given up and flogged it.
I run cars into the ground and spend as little as possible on them. The Ford Focus diesel estate I bought in 2005 fot £2500 lasted until the end of last year and had 249071 miles on the clock when part exchanged. I go 50€ for it :lol:
In that time apart from shock absorbers and a new accelerator pedal it was just oils and tyres. I did most of the servicing myself so costs were kept down. I could have spent more but things like central locking packing up didn't bother me.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Franco, I know the theory, but... its ilogical, I just love old vehicles, dont know why?

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Bonefishblues wrote:re automotive incontinence smell issues, I'd be pretty sure it eminates from the heating system somewhere - you sometimes get a similar smell from shop refrigeration systems which need servicing.
No, not this.
It's a damp smell, and was only evident when the car was parked for a day or two on the drive.
Once moving, the smell would go. Meanwhile, it's fading now. I wonder that the car could have been manky internally due to non-use and it's had a good valeting internally ready to put up on sale. The damp from the valeting could have been the source of the smell. Damp carpets?

I think that the car could have been left unused at the dealer's because of some financial issue. The salesman said something about the previous "owner" having it on PCP. Could be that the owner handed it in early and there was a problem with the contract. Could have been that the owner was in arrears? It's anyone's guess at the moment.

It could be Thursday next week that we'll take a trip over to Paignton and call in. I'll be emailing them regarding the rear seatbelt query so they're prepared for us, and whilst we're there, we'll ask about the five months and 68miles issue.
Mick F. Cornwall
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Mick F wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:re automotive incontinence smell issues, I'd be pretty sure it eminates from the heating system somewhere - you sometimes get a similar smell from shop refrigeration systems which need servicing.
No, not this.
It's a damp smell, and was only evident when the car was parked for a day or two on the drive.
Once moving, the smell would go. Meanwhile, it's fading now. I wonder that the car could have been manky internally due to non-use and it's had a good valeting internally ready to put up on sale. The damp from the valeting could have been the source of the smell. Damp carpets?

I think that the car could have been left unused at the dealer's because of some financial issue. The salesman said something about the previous "owner" having it on PCP. Could be that the owner handed it in early and there was a problem with the contract. Could have been that the owner was in arrears? It's anyone's guess at the moment.

It could be Thursday next week that we'll take a trip over to Paignton and call in. I'll be emailing them regarding the rear seatbelt query so they're prepared for us, and whilst we're there, we'll ask about the five months and 68miles issue.

Take a look underneath the trim in your footwells and boot. It's just possible that when your car has been standing its drainage channels have got blocked and water has found its way inside. It's very unlikely that a valeter would use too much product such that it didn't dry quickly.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Thanks.
I'll do that, but having already had a good look at stuff, I doubt that there's water lying anywhere ............. but I'll look.

We drove the Yaris yesterday into town and back, but it's been sat on the drive all day today, and it could well be left alone tomorrow too.
When we drive it again, we'll have a good sniff at it, but meanwhile, I'll investigate as you suggest.
Mick F. Cornwall
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

al_yrpal wrote:Franco, I know the theory, but... its ilogical, I just love old vehicles, dont know why?

Al

Me to but reason gets the better of heart. Now old wooden sailing dinghies that's a different matter :oops:
I've spent a lot of time and money restoring first a GP14, then an early Wayfarer, an Enterprise and more recent times a Mirror. My wife tells me I should just buy a plastic boat :evil:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

squeaker wrote:

Double declutching :wink:

I did not learn that unfortunately
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Mick F wrote:The Fiat500's look a million dollars, but are built for cents - or even peanuts.
Glad to be shot of it, though it was fun fun fun to drive. :D

Driving is PITA.
There's no fun in it coz everyone else is doing it but its a necessity.The only fun/irritaion is spottingn and avoiding the idiots :?,and doing my best not to become one of them :) .
As for vehicles I want practical and affordable,Ford fits the bill cheap to buy,cheap to maintain,good alround cars :) .
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden