Wanted. Small car.

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
ferrit worrier

Re: Wanted. Small car.

Post by ferrit worrier »

old_windbag wrote:The other negatives for sealant kit system is that

a) It can only make a temporary repair to get you to a tyre station.
b) They may write off the tyre rather than repair because they don't wish to clean out the gunk( could be a nearly new tyre out the window ).
c) You also then have to buy another canister of sealant ready for next puncture incident.

All rather expensive as opposed to most cases where its puncture, put on spare, go to tyre station, pay £10 for repair, put original back on car.

D) no good if you get cut in the tyre.

When we got the bmax it didn't have a spare wheel but the pan was there in the boot. Got one for about £40 of internet auction site.

Malc
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

old_windbag wrote:I was pondering the idea that you could maybe use run-flat tyres. But they have their own issues in that they aren't repairable once run flat( not advised to repair ). Also manufacturers who have specified them as original fit, have set the vehicle dynamics up to match the characteristics of run-flats. Apparently they provide more comfort, changing to conventional tyres is not reccomended on such cars as it will change the handling characteristics. Nice if your car has those fitted may be pricey in long run.

Its all a bit like the tubeless versus tubed bike tyre discussion. Once you dig deeper you find more cons than pro's.

Almost all owners change runflats to conventional tyres at the first opportunity aiui. They are so unyielding in the sidewalls that no amount of suspension tuning can compensate (so less comfortable, by and large, not more) They're also significantly more expensive than conventional alternatives. Oh, and they don't fit on conventional rims very well, and tyre fitters will insist that you need TPMS fitting if you were to try to retro-fit.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

We may be needing a replacement car depending on the MOT next month. I've been looking at some specs this evening and I see the Skoda Fabia offers a choice of space saver or standard spare, but it looks as though both are optional extras.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Bonefishblues wrote:. They are so unyielding in the sidewalls that no amount of suspension tuning can compensate (so less comfortable, by and large, not more)

Think it must have been some bmw marketing spin. It seems the concensus of owners are as you indicate. More trouble than worth.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

I'd guess that a lot of men and most women couldn't change a wheel, nor may they want too on a busy road, far too dangerous.
Along with changing headlight bulbs it's a job for a professional.
A friend tried to change the alluminium wheel on a Piacasso, jacked it up and then undid the nuts but still couldn't get the wheel off. He called the garage and they had to hit the tyre with a sledge hammer to break the wheel away from the hub, not something you'd do on a scissor jack.
Up until a few years ago I did all my own repairs and servicing but with the reliability and complexity of newer cars I'm happy to rely on the local garage.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

All I'd say is that car companies don't make a big selling point about no spare wheel, on the contrary. However, salesmen (I've never seen a woman selling cars) have all the patter ready to explain why spare wheels are so unnecessary.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

thirdcrank wrote:All I'd say is that car companies don't make a big selling point about no spare wheel, on the contrary. However, salesmen (I've never seen a woman selling cars) have all the patter ready to explain why spare wheels are so unnecessary.

A woman sold me my last car :D
Imagine the delight when I opened the boot and lifted the floor to see if there was a spare wheel. Yippee a real tyre albeit on a steel wheel not alloy. (Skoda Rapid)
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

francovendee wrote:I'd guess that a lot of men and most women couldn't change a wheel, nor may they want too on a busy road, far too dangerous.
Along with changing headlight bulbs it's a job for a professional.
A friend tried to change the alluminium wheel on a Piacasso, jacked it up and then undid the nuts but still couldn't get the wheel off. He called the garage and they had to hit the tyre with a sledge hammer to break the wheel away from the hub, not something you'd do on a scissor jack.
Up until a few years ago I did all my own repairs and servicing but with the reliability and complexity of newer cars I'm happy to rely on the local garage.

Regular occurance, We used to jack it up, loosen the wheelnuts and drop it suddenly by releasing the jack [small hydraulic]. Another way is loosen the wheelnuts almost completely, drive it a couple of yards and slam the brake on. I'd try these before waiting a couple of hours for the AA.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

We have a Skoda Fabia estate. Although ours is a diesel (bought used), I can say that the design of the cars is quite good. Nothing fancy, but I felt comfortable in it right away when I first drove it.

I can change my own fuses and light bulbs, and there is a standard slot for the radio. It's availble with DAB in Norway, but even if it isn't in the UK, it should be relatively easy to swap out. The standard model doesn't have a huge boot, but the seats are easy to fold down and make a large space for hauling bigger stuff. I'm sure I could get a bike into the standard model with the rear seats folded down, and the front wheel removed from the bike. I can get a couple of bikes into the estate version without removing anything.

I don't know if they still include a full size spare, but mine has one.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Abradable Chin wrote:I've never had a flat tyre, although I once got a nail through one, but it remained inflated. I have broken down on two other occasions with failed alternator or broken wire on alternator. I do not carry spare alternators (maybe I should), so why do I carry spare tyre? A lot of roads are too fast and dangerous to change a spare tyre by yourself, so often you would want to call for assistance anyway. Apparently, the average between vehicle drifting into the hard shoulder at any point on a motorway is scarily low...tens of minutes I was once told.
On top of this, a lack of a spare wheel saves cost and fuel as has been mentioned, so I think maybe it is just good sense to do away with them. Maybe the practice stems from days gone by when tyres failed far more frequently?
All you say is basically true and reasonable.

I keep records and a diary.
Renault Clio bought brand new in 27 April 2001

Punctures, we've had four with the Clio.
15 Jan 2003 @ 15,780miles
30 Mar 2005 @ 32,250miles
30 Oct 2007 @ 53,466miles
21 Apr 2015 @ 93,345miles

None as yet with the Fiat500 owned since buying secondhand 30 Oct 2014 @ 13,786miles
As of today, the car has done 28,724miles, so I reckon one is due soon.

As you can tell by the figures, we don't do many miles a year, and getting less and less.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:Well, Honda could come up trumps then ................. but only if there's a well for the spare. I'll ask the question. Maybe give them a ring, the chap we were talking to gave us his card.
Just this minute come off the phone to Honda dealer.
No, they do not come with a spare and haven't done for some years.

However, there is a stowage area for a space-saver and one can be specified when buying brand new.
The spare wheel comes as a kit complete with a jack etc.
Mick F. Cornwall
bigjim

Post by bigjim »

In my dotage, and I know it's everybody to their own, but I do wonder why anybody would want to buy a brand new car? In my case at least, the novelty and new car smell would soon wear off. People I know who do buy them, always seem to be taking trips back to the dealer. Up and down for this and that. Things to be put right, servicing to be done, courtesy car to be sorted. It seems to be so much hassle to my cynical self. Personally I'm quite happy with a good secondhand car and the services of a trusted independent garage. I also disagree with parting with all that money and feeding the government tax machine. I mean it's 20% of dead money straight away on a new car! I also admit to find driving a bargain secondhand car a much nicer experience. But thats just tight old me.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Because modern PCP deals mean that there is no depreciation - at least people can kid themselves that that's the case...
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote:However, there is a stowage area for a space-saver

Thats the front passenger walking then :) .

francovendee wrote: jacked it up and then undid the nuts but still couldn't get the wheel off.

Thought you had to loosen nuts when on the ground then jack up to remove completely, so you have the weight of the car to force against when loosening. But the bonding of the alloy wheel to the steel hub is literally a sticking point and does vary in difficulty, I've seen the large "hammer" used( oh and the thumping kick with steel toe cap boot.... not on scissor jack please ). So you could be stuck. Fortunately most punctures are( as with bikes ) slow ones that you know about when inflating and can often see the offending nail/screw causing it and acting as a plug for the hole it's created :( .

Where car selling women are concerned, it was very noticeable to myself when visiting around 10 garages that I saw no women selling cars. At the garage I finally bought a car at I commented as to there being no saleswomen. I was told that they have one and she works on "commercials", i.e. vans and trucks. So perhaps there's some psychology going on there, I did note a local motor factor who used the most stunning of women on their delivery vans going to the local garages( hi-q's, kwik fits ) to drop off parts etc.

I do think second hand is advantageous, especially with turnover from, as mentioned ,PCP deals. Cars have to be kept very clean to avoid penalties at close of PCP time so there are some nice low mileage cars. Also september 1st is coming soon so there will be huge choice for mickf if going 2nd hand. It's one benefit of pcp for most of us. Plus many still have a lot of warranty left.
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

I got a puncture in June while staying in Boroughbridge for the York Rally. A broad headed roofing nail being the culprit. We couldn't remember the last time we had one. After much thought it must be nearly 30 yrs ago.
Yet despite that I need a spare wheel purely for piece of mind.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info