Jogger rage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Flinders

Re: Not only cyclists that can be morons

Post by Flinders »

I watched the video a few times. I still can't be sure exactly what happened. At one point it looks like the walker might have stuck her right leg out to trip the jogger and the jogger put an arm out to save himself, but given the camera angle and without being able to go through it frame by frame, I can't tell for sure which came first, the leg sticking out or the arm pushing away, it could just as easily be that her right leg went out to the right as she fell after being pushed.

At any rate, I don't think it's 100% clear what happened, so I'd be wary of making any assumptions. No doubt it will all come out in good time.
Patrickpioneer

Jogger rage

Post by Patrickpioneer »

See its not just drivers and cyclists that loose their rag (love that term)
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/health-fitn ... gressive1/

the ants will take over in the end you mark my words
Pat
I wounder if you can get shopping trolley rage?
Paulatic

Re: Jogger rage

Post by Paulatic »

That article is as old as this viewtopic.php?t=116504&start=45
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Stereotypical Torygraph clickbait. I read down as far as the words "Lycra Lout" and then gave up.

I've never had a problem with joggers - though I know it's best to warn them when approaching from behind. I don't jog myself - not fit enough. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

661-Pete wrote:Stereotypical Torygraph clickbait. I read down as far as the words "Lycra Lout" and then gave up.

I've never had a problem with joggers - though I know it's best to warn them when approaching from behind. I don't jog myself - not fit enough. :(

The article is from August 2017. Amazingly despite the author's fears there has not since been a spate of zombie jogger rage with tens of people eaten by rabid runners.

This is of course what should be called Toynbeeism. A new word for bryn to describe clickbait.
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

In 15 years I've only ever seen 4 episodes of runner rage - and three of them were by me.

Two when cars drove at me ("Get off the road!") where I give the mirror a good hard smack as they passed. And once where I ran over the bonnet of a car that had parked completely blocking the entrance to a linear park.
Unbelievably they'd parked such that they could open the drivers door into the entrance but nobody else could get past - the car was hard against the bushes.
(I didn't check to see if the passenger door was open - perhaps folk were intended to transit through the car).

The final time a group of us had crossed a ped crossing on a green man, one of the guys at the tail started to cross and a car drove forward trying to get through the gap in the runners and clipped him (green man was still lit).
He wasn't happy although it got no further than him calling her a "stupid cow".

So four times in 15 years and if I discounted my own then I've only witnessed one other.
Seen countless others aimed at joggers by dog owners, car drivers etc - even saw one car in a race ignore the marshals and drive head on against oncoming runners with their hand on the horn.
pwa

Post by pwa »

This "people moving about" rage is something that, until it becomes violent, makes me laugh. It is the ridiculousness of it. I've been a bit guilty of it myself on a few occasions, in a small way, and I hope I have learned from it. It is better to be the one who diffuses tension, rather than the one ramping it up. Let's hope I remember that next time.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Paulatic wrote:That article is as old as this viewtopic.php?t=116504&start=45

Yes and that to my mind is the salient feature.
It tells so much about the Telegraph, but could of course be another publication!
Patrickpioneer

Post by Patrickpioneer »

I came across the article because i was trying to find out if joggers, ramblers and horse riders write about close passes and bad drivers the same way we do and instead found jogger rage!
When walking my dog (see avatar) I do get people in cars shouting at me to get out of the way but I have found if I do climb into the hedge they then pass me at light speed
Pat
pwa

Post by pwa »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I came across the article because i was trying to find out if joggers, ramblers and horse riders write about close passes and bad drivers the same way we do and instead found jogger rage!
When walking my dog (see avatar) I do get people in cars shouting at me to get out of the way but I have found if I do climb into the hedge they then pass me at light speed
Pat

I take a similar tack. Walking on a lane, if an approaching vehicle sounds like it is slowing in an appropriate manner I make an effort to move over, to make it easier for them. If they don't, regardless of any risk, I stay out a bit, keeping their passing space small enough to make them feel like slowing. If they can't be bothered slowing, I can't be bothered giving them more room. Having said that, the good ones outnumber the bad ones.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:This "people moving about" rage is something that, until it becomes violent, makes me laugh. It is the ridiculousness of it. I've been a bit guilty of it myself on a few occasions, in a small way, and I hope I have learned from it. It is better to be the one who diffuses tension, rather than the one ramping it up. Let's hope I remember that next time.

Often saying nothing is best, pretend you cannae speak English. Or Welsh :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:This "people moving about" rage is something that, until it becomes violent, makes me laugh. It is the ridiculousness of it. I've been a bit guilty of it myself on a few occasions, in a small way, and I hope I have learned from it. It is better to be the one who diffuses tension, rather than the one ramping it up. Let's hope I remember that next time.

Often saying nothing is best, pretend you cannae speak English. Or Welsh :wink:

The last time I got into a verbal exchange with an angry driver while I was cycling I finished by smiling in (I hope) a disarming way and saying something like "Have you got a job to go to, mate, cos I have...." and I cycled off. My intention was to send the message that I viewed the disagreement as not worth the effort, hoping the other person would think "actually, yes, I feel that way too". I don't know how it worked for the other person but for me it felt more satisfactory than finishing with more harsh exchanges of opinion. It left less of a bad taste.
peetee

Post by peetee »

Patrickpioneer wrote:I wounder if you can get shopping trolley rage?

I have. Any trolleys abandoned at an angle in the aisles get a good bashing. Damn inconsiderate, eh what?
The older I get the more I’m inclined to act my shoe size, not my age.