Result!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Result!

Post by al_yrpal »

Just received my first £500 odd from a PPI claim. :) I paid £222 and received £426 interest. You have to pay 20% tax. :(

It was free to do via Moneysavingexpert.com http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/reclai ... e#resolver no fees to pay, no dodgy companies involved.

Have a look...

Al

Please send me 10% !
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Re: Result!

Post by thirdcrank »

How did somebody so savvy as you fall for PPI in the first place?

I started helping my mother with her finances around the time of her 80th birthday in 1999. It was obvious even to a numpty like me that PPI was useless to somebody who had been retired almost twenty years. That was all before the general hue-and-cry, of course, and as she didn't make all that much use of the card, the sums weren't significant but I thought there was a principle involved, especially with somebody like my mother who had been with them since she had been at primary school and trusted bank staff totally. She didn't want a fuss so I let it drop, but not before I had told them which part of the gutter I thought they occupied. :evil:
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Back in the 80s I was struggling financially and not savvy at all. I guess many of us have been in that position surviving as a family propped up by loans you are easy meat. Then I had a little surplus income and discovered the High Yield Portfolio, never looked back after that. I have claimed PPI redress from several outfits with more to come I believe. Good old Martin!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I'd not want to lose sight of the fact that the banks and similar institutions - or rather their top people - were the villains here and it's a weakness in our much-vaunted criminal justice system that PPI didn't put a lot of them in jail. After the lid came off this mass fraud and the backs agreed they would desist, some still found ways of trying to renege on that. When my mother would have been almost ninety, her credit card was renewed and it was necessary to ring a call centre to confirm receipt to validate the new card. A commission-driven "agent" tried quite hard to sign her up for more PPI, and it took some adamant resistance from me to get the card validated. I don't blame the foot soldiers employed to work in these places.

I'm not sure why a third-party is needed to extract the compo, although as I've never been entitled to any, I've not investigated claiming. Two or three years ago, one of our next-door neighbours' daughters graduated with a first in some sort of economics and between coming down and getting her first big-money job, she had a few months temping in a call centre dealing with PPI claims. I got the impression that for anybody who had the details of all their credit card accounts, the payment of compo was pretty much a formality, which fits in with the reports in the business pages of the £ Billions provisions being made by the banks.

Firms offering to handle PPI claims seem as numerous as dodgy "accident management" firms. There will be some good guys in there, no doubt. :D
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

Al says
Please send me 10% !

In my book you've already had my 10%. You've admitted you weren't savvy and what bewilders me is you and millions more made a mistake and we all have to pay for it. I distinctly remember the time when it was rife. I recall pressure from the bank trying me to take out things with PPI costs within it. I saw it and spurned it and this is the reason I have difficulty with sympathy those who took the bait.
I've made mistakes in my life which has cost me money but I very much doubt anyone here feels they should chip in and compensate me for it.
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

thirdcrank wrote:I'd not want to lose sight of the fact that the banks and similar institutions - or rather their top people - were the villains here...........................

................you don't think that Thatcher had a part in it all tc?
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Paulatic wrote:Al says
Please send me 10% !

In my book you've already had my 10%. You've admitted you weren't savvy and what bewilders me is you and millions more made a mistake and we all have to pay for it. I distinctly remember the time when it was rife. I recall pressure from the bank trying me to take out things with PPI costs within it. I saw it and spurned it and this is the reason I have difficulty with sympathy those who took the bait.
I've made mistakes in my life which has cost me money but I very much doubt anyone here feels they should chip in and compensate me for it.

.................er - I think al was having a laugh!
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

JohnW wrote:
Paulatic wrote:Al says
Please send me 10% !

.................er - I think al was having a laugh!

Err yes I know

I'm serious though all these payments has come from someone's pockets.

E2E info
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

I presume that the 10% is commission to Al for referring everybody to the PPI recovery link.

Thatcher or no Thatcher, our legal system means that if you wear a suit and know which words to use, you won't be treated in the same way as somebody in a striped jumper and mask, with a bag marked "swag."
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

The 'free' link. :mrgreen:

Al
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I'm not sure I'd even heard of PPI until it all hit the fan, nobody's ever tried to sell me any. But then, I've had a credit card for 40 years, and I haven't paid any interest on it yet either.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

Al

I'd have to say I'm truly surprised here, although, on reflection, I can see there might seem to be a dollop of irony in my initial post. I really thought you considered yourself something of a financial expert.

To anybody else considering going to the moneysaving expert, IME one visit and it's never out of your inbox. I stopped bothering with it ages ago because I never seemed to read anything new. Martin Lewis certainly knows his stuff but the website has snowballed. It's hard to see the wood for the trees, IMO
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

I don't look at Moneysavingexpert nowadays any more either. I think I know most of the tricks. I am certainly no financial expert. I hate paying over the odds for anything especially so called financial advice from so called experts. Martin Lewis and working with a collegue who was incredibly tight taught me a lot. I certainly didnt used to be so careful but have learned how to make the most of my savings without 'experts' taking their cut. It makes me weep to see people handing over hard earned cash to sharks.

Al
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

al_yrpal wrote:I don't look at Moneysavingexpert nowadays any more either. I think I know most of the tricks. I am certainly no financial expert. I hate paying over the odds for anything especially so called financial advice from so called experts. Martin Lewis and working with a collegue who was incredibly tight taught me a lot. I certainly didnt used to be so careful but have learned how to make the most of my savings without 'experts' taking their cut. It makes me weep to see people handing over hard earned cash to sharks.

Al

If you'd been born in Yorkshire, like me, there's no need to learn it. You'd have been born with it. :D

E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:I don't look at Moneysavingexpert nowadays any more either. I think I know most of the tricks. I am certainly no financial expert. I hate paying over the odds for anything especially so called financial advice from so called experts. Martin Lewis and working with a collegue who was incredibly tight taught me a lot. I certainly didnt used to be so careful but have learned how to make the most of my savings without 'experts' taking their cut. It makes me weep to see people handing over hard earned cash to sharks.

Al

If you'd been born in Yorkshire, like me, there's no need to learn it. You'd have been born with it. :D

A Yorkshireman living in Scotland, the ultimate tightwad! :lol:

Al