Dishwasher or Tumbledryer?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
horizon

Re: Dishwasher or Tumbledryer?

Post by horizon »

661-pete: I think we are misinterpreting each other here. I love the Guardian, it's "my" newspaper. But it does sometimes need reminding. I personally believe here that it should have paid attention to the environmental side of things. That's my gripe. I don't expect it of the Telegraph.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

I've been a long term reader of the Telegraph... until .... i started to have to pay for it .... and pay for it, and pay for it.
Read the headlines in the Telegraph ... the first paragraph usually lets you know where the article is going .. then i pop over to the Grauniad and see what their take is of the same articles ...
No surprise on their wishy washy support for SC in her fight against Pakistani Men abusing young white girls ... but is is good to see the other take ... for free ... You know the Grauniad will kiss up to Jeremy .... but still interesting articles ...
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

horizon wrote:661-pete: I think we are misinterpreting each other here.
OK. Perhaps a sin of omission there.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

landsurfer wrote:
horizon wrote:I have this image in my mind of millions of proudly environmentalist Brits shaking their heads sagely at the waste involved in washing up and turning responsibly to their new dish washer to load up and save the planet. Then going outside and getting in to their 4 x 4s.

No-one has ever bought a dish washer to save the planet, only to save themselves a bit of effort. The idea is risible.

Pardon me ... saving effort .. i don't think so ... using a dishwasher takes considerably more effort than just washing up ...!!

I like washing up ....

And that last sentence says it all...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
And that last sentence says it all...

It's calming .....unless you drop 2 unbreakable Pyrex bowls like I did yesterday ...... a whole floor of unbreakable glass shards ....
I also like killing Corvids at 30 metres with my rifle ...it's also calming .... it doesn't make me a bad person ......Lambs like me .... but they don't wash up ...shame.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Boyd wrote::|
Bonefishblues wrote:Both. And a drying cabinet. Shoot me now :D

We are not in America.

Americans don't generally use drying cabinets.

In fact I never heard of one until I moved to the UK. In Norway, drying rooms are common. Drying cabinets are just sort of the small apartment version. But it seems to be an intersection between modern technology and people who go outside, whatever the weather.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Dishwasher is a cupboard for dirty dishes.
Then when it's full turn it on.

No dryer though...
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Vorpal wrote:
Boyd wrote::|
Bonefishblues wrote:Both. And a drying cabinet. Shoot me now :D

We are not in America.

Americans don't generally use drying cabinets.

In fact I never heard of one until I moved to the UK. In Norway, drying rooms are common. Drying cabinets are just sort of the small apartment version. But it seems to be an intersection between modern technology and people who go outside, whatever the weather.

Is a drying cabinet not just a big airing cupboard?
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Pretty much, with the added benefit that you can control the temperature and move it, were you minded to. We find it very useful, I am told :wink:
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

hjd10 wrote:Is a drying cabinet not just a big airing cupboard?

Americans mostly don't have airing cupboards, either. In places where there are cellars, water heaters, boilers, heating systems, etc. are in the cellar. In places where they don't have cellars, they typically hace some sort of service room or cupboard for such things, but I've never heard it called an airing cupboard there.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
hjd10

Post by hjd10 »

Vorpal wrote:

Americans mostly don't have airing cupboards, either. In places where there are cellars, water heaters, boilers, heating systems, etc. are in the cellar. In places where they don't have cellars, they typically hace some sort of service room or cupboard for such things, but I've never heard it called an airing cupboard there.

Ah OK I understand. I remember the gas water heater/cylinder being an all in one unit in the garage and the gas boiler for the blown air heating being in the loft. That was a modern single story building but I now picture the setup that you describe.

Regards,
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

In case it matters, I have a dishwasher and a tumble dryer. I don't use the tumble dryer so much, though. I prefer to air dry (outside is best) as often as possible. I only use the tumble dryer when I run out of drying space, which averages once a week in winter and once or twice total in summer.

The dishwasher is more efficient than washing up by hand. Also, I hate it. It hurts my back to stand and do washing up, and it's tedious.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vorpal wrote:

I read about someone who moved into a leafy suburb in the US
She hung her washing out in the garden
A neighbor asked her not to do that cos people might think she could not afford a dryer and the reputation of the section and property prices would suffer
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I read about someone who moved into a leafy suburb in the US
She hung her washing out in the garden
A neighbor asked her not to do that cos people might think she could not afford a dryer and the reputation of the section and property prices would suffer

Some places in the USA, it's actually illegal to hang the washing out. These are usually community ordinances, housing association rules, or bans from community groups. When challenged, they are usually proven to be illegal or unenforceable, but laws/regulations like this have kept people from drying laundry naturally for decades.

http://www.sightline.org/2012/02/21/clo ... 19-states/
horizon

Post by horizon »

Vorpal wrote:In case it matters,

I think it was the Guardian's job to explore that.
When the pestilence strikes from the East, go far and breathe the cold air deeply. Ignore the sage, stay not indoors. Ho Ri Zon 12th Century Chinese philosopher