It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian / the Independent!

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2019, 8:48am

Could we possibly drop the "Manchester" from the thread title please? After all the paper hasn't been called that since 1959.

I ask this mainly because a guy I used to know (and whom I heartily disliked) used to always refer to the paper by its former name, disparagingly - especially whenever he spotted me holding a copy (he was probably a DM reader himself...).

On the other hand, I'm perfectly happy with calling it the Grauniad. Indeed I often do so myself. It's a term of endearment.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).

661-Pete

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Grauniad / the Independent!

Postby 661-Pete » 7 Aug 2019, 9:22am

I've just done something I thought I'd never do. Oh the shame! :oops: :oops: :oops:

I've subscribed to a paywall....

In mitigation, I must explain that it's to the Washington Post. Now that's a media that I do care to take seriously now and again, alongside the Grauniad and the Indy. And it's only a dollar for the first month. I wanted to see what they have to say about the appalling gun crime situation, over there...

I'll see if they let me cancel easily, once I get bored with reading...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).