It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Sooper8

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian!

Post by Sooper8 »

While the on-line version still has some good articles, the Guardian has become a shadow of it's former self, and has pretty much prostituted itself to large corporations for a few years now.
Their love for Hilary Clinton and her war mongering ways really was the final straw for me and I will never again pay money to read the paper.
I get my news and in depth pieces from Media Lens and other alternative media sites.
http://www.medialens.org
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Sooper8 wrote:While the on-line version still has some good articles, the Guardian has become a shadow of it's former self, and has pretty much prostituted itself to large corporations for a few years now.
Their love for Hilary Clinton and her war mongering ways really was the final straw for me and I will never again pay money to read the paper.
I get my news and in depth pieces from Media Lens and other alternative media sites.

Why is ML better than the G?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Time was when I used to think: I love The Tea Shop on this very forum, inexhaustible supply of fascinating topics on debate here. Been following it - well, if not exactly for decades - for years now.....

Now I find myself posting here only occasionally. So much of the "same old, same old"....

This thread is no exception.

Anyone else got a favourite - or anti-favourite?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

bertgrower wrote:
Sooper8 wrote:While the on-line version still has some good articles, the Guardian has become a shadow of it's former self, and has pretty much prostituted itself to large corporations for a few years now.

The Guardian are funded from advertising from big companies (who invariably have political agendas) and hence I feel they are compromised on their editorial.
Media Lens are independent and get what funding they need from individual small contributions. In short, they don't answer to anyone, and not in anyones pocket.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

I've been having a bit of e-mail "correspondence" with the Guardian recently. They have major bugs in their RSS feeds I reported (where a feed update will also return random articles from up to 10 years ago as "new articles". Bottom line is they recognise the issue and it's because of the way they organise the site and they are not going to bother to fix it!

It's a real nuisance as you keep seeing something that looks interesting, thinking wow .. again! and see it's a Guardian bug again. To the point where I've pretty much given up bothering with reading their stuff any more. If they can't get something straightforward right (like feeds) then what chance getting news content right.

Ian
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

Sooper8 wrote:
bertgrower wrote:

The Guardian are funded from advertising from big companies (who invariably have political agendas) and hence I feel they are compromised on their editorial.
Media Lens are independent and get what funding they need from individual small contributions. In short, they don't answer to anyone, and not in anyones pocket.

Is anybody truly impartial, we all have some kind of agenda either for against somerhing.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

661-Pete wrote:Time was when I used to think: I love The Tea Shop on this very forum, inexhaustible supply of fascinating topics on debate here. Been following it - well, if not exactly for decades - for years now.....

Now I find myself posting here only occasionally. So much of the "same old, same old"....

This thread is no exception.

Anyone else got a favourite - or anti-favourite?

Dazu eine meine Lieblingsssprueche:

*Viel Feind, viel Ehr*

Not sure quite how I would render that in English :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

"The more enemies, the more honour". Sounds Prussian. Lots of stuff like that plastered on war memorials around here: "Treu bis in den Tod" & so forth. "Gott (und Herr Krupp) mit uns".

Anyway:

I read 3 papers on my tablet, the NYT, the Graun and Le Monde. Used to look at the Beeb site until it turned disgustingly tabloid. I like the NYT for its eternal pisstaking of all things Trump and generally Republican or simply overweening and awry (try this for size). The Graun is OK but its "Headlines" section turns into gossipy stuff about folk I never heard of halfway down the page and only reverts to real news after a disgusting splurge of sport. Le Monde is similarly OK: less about celebs but an awful lot of guff about pols getting hissy. I tend to give the NYT the most time, with the Graun second and Le Monde last. Wouldn't say I "loved" any of them. I love my wife, my dogs and my bike. The rest... get in line.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
Sooper8

Post by Sooper8 »

bertgrower wrote:
Sooper8 wrote:
bertgrower wrote:

Is anybody truly impartial, we all have some kind of agenda either for against somerhing.

@Bertgrower, I don't know if this last line is a question or a statement, but are you doubting an objective reality?

Either way, I'd rather read something different from the establishment line that the 1% have a vested interest in peddling. It takes slightly more effort to find it but I personally think it's worth it.
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

You read any newspaper critically being aware of its predjudices. I have dipped into The Times, Torygraph, Mail and Guardian over the years. What is strange is that the only one that seems to have a detatched view and no particular predictable slant has been Murdochs Times? They are giving the Tories a very hard time at the moment. The Mail, Torygraph and Guardian's slant on anything can be predicted, but you cant seem to do that with The Times. For that reason I prefer its style. . I do have a look at the New York Times (left wing) and the Washington Post too.
The thing I love about the Guardian is the Comments. Often hilarious as well as being utterly predictable. Its still the Teechers newspaper. :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Audax67

Post by Audax67 »

The Graun occasionally p's me off with its attempts to be more PC than any other kid on the block. Reading an article about the link between climate disruption and the so-called "Lucifer Heatwave" earlier this week, I clicked on a link that purported to take me to an article that would tell me what the devil was so special about 3 days of summer that they'd need a name, and found instead a screed about beaches, LGB<etc> rights, and various other themes irrelevant to the matter in hand.

Eejits. Hope they don't injure themselves bending over backwards like that. Sciatica ain't fun.
Have we got time for another cuppa?
HaroldBriercliffe

Post by HaroldBriercliffe »

Public sector job ads keep the Graun ticking over.
Awful paper otherwise.
" A Zen master's life is one continuous mistake."
(Dogen)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

HaroldBriercliffe wrote:Public sector job ads keep the Graun ticking over.
Awful paper otherwise.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Out of interest I've been subscribing to the Guardian and Independent Wold News RSS Feeds for the last couple of weeks (despite the Guardian RSS bugs) and found the Guardian World News to be diabolically weak compared to the Independent. I think every news story I've then opened/read has been from the Independent (same story not reported in the Guardian World feed) and I've not opened a single Guardian World story.

Guardian World Feed seems to just miss out all the important stories, instead (Guardian World) seems to focus and be completely pre-occupied with Australian Domestic politics.

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Not so sure if I still love the Grauniad

So I am invited to make a donation, the text now covers nearly the whole screen on my smombiephone and I can not see how to close it, anyone know how?

What could I read instead?