It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Guardian!

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I love the Grauniad because it saves me having to buy the dm, read about the moderate new dm editor in the Grauniad, no need to buy the dm :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Cyril Haearn

Re: It is earnestly to be hoped - we love the Manchester Guardian / the Independent!

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just read an article in the Grauniad about Mr Camerons new haircut, I do love Serious Journalism :wink:
Cours

Post by Cours »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just read an article in the Grauniad about Mr Camerons new haircut, I do love Serious Journalism :wink:

Yes, but it's a shame he feels no shame :wink:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just read an article in the Grauniad about Mr Camerons new haircut, I do love Serious Journalism :wink:

Are you not aware that the Pass Notes column is meant to be humorous and heavily tongue-in-cheek?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Although I buy no newspapers other than New Scientist and haven't done for over 40 years, I do take the occasional peek at various on-line versions, as I'm interested in what toxic guff they're spouting into the memesphere and thence into the minds of the various mobs.

The Guardian does make an attempt to do old fashioned journalism; and also to provide space to writers not of it's own ideological leanings to give us "long reads" on many subject-matters that are currently pressing on all of us. But even this paragon-of-virtue news-spouter suffers many of the ills of modern mass media channels.

It has a large proportion devoted to celebrity doings, professional sports doings and business-doings. 99% of this stuff is entertainment, not news. It makes no significant difference to anyone's life. .... other than to dull their ability to see past The Spectacle of the consumer-producer hegemony into the dark doings of those who now own us all.

It has a portion of "sponsored content" that is in fact a series of PR and/or advertising blurbs for various organisations. A serious newspaper cannot have anything to do with advertisers or PR-spurters, as the dosh they pay to the newspaper account will compromise the newspaper's attempts at "objectivity", even that contained within the sphere of their own principles or ideology. And PR is usually a euphemism for "being economical with the truth" or even outright lying.

It contains a lot of "lifestyle news" and "advice" about various consumer fetishes which tend to be inimical to the newspaper's purported stand on various issues. You can't be a champion of attempts to rein-in global warming, neoliberal economics and a whole host of other modern ills if your news organ contains large sections devoted to the latest make-up, foreign holidays, gas-guzzling cars, electronic gizmos, foolish fashions and all the rest.

Cugel
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More wisdom from Cugel, Plus One!
I think I love to hate the Grauniad, it has such a queer mix of stories
It reports that a close associate of the pope is going to jail for child abuse, is the catholic church in big trouble?
Down the page the German fire service rescues a fat rat that got stuck in a personhole cover

Spent a lot of money buying the Guardian on paper, but I cannae thoyle donating now
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 4 Mar 2019, 5:41am, edited 1 time in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Has Wales been turned upside-down, or can one not trust the Grauniad? It reports that the motorway between Bridgend and Pencoed in 'northern Wales' was blocked :?
Cugel

Post by Cugel »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Has Wales been turned upside-down, or can one not trust the Grauniad? It reports that the motorway between Bridgend and Pencoed in 'northern Wales' was blocked :?

Wales is too far from London or other important metropolii to require any sort of knowledge about it. Why bother with the factually-correct when most of your urban readers will be content with an entertainment thrill, as they commute in sardine-like shoals, packed in their various tin containers?

As they go about their rote along their narrow daily track, the readers of newspap are glad of the occasional thrill-snippet about terrible yet exciting events elsewhere. Such snippets are the only signals that indicate they are still alive and not entirely an automated cog performing today as they did yesterday and will forever more. The snippets can be factual, "a true story", "based on a true story" or just "a story". It's all the same to them!

Sometimes there is a really exciting event, with heroes and villains, whom the urbanites can support or condemn in excited tones as they gather around the brown-liquid dispenser at their place of wage-slavery. Sometimes it will be some newspap about "politics" (aka the red-blue klown show) so the urbanites may pretend that they "have an opinion" which is somehow important to someone else.

Cugel, in full-cynic mode, often induced by a glimpse of newspap.
“Practical men who believe themselves to be quite exempt from any intellectual influence are usually the slaves of some defunct economist”.
John Maynard Keynes
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

The guardian gets something wrong shock horror! Not like them. Are you sure they didn't mean to put south Wales but misspelled it quite wrong? That's always possible with the Grauniad. :D
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Bet the Grauniad does not know how to pronounce Pencoed either ("Penkoyd") :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Now the North of England Corris-pondent reports from Doggerland which is as big as Holland (does she mean the Netherlands? :wink:)
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

'Do cyclists think they are above the law, and does it even matter?' asks the Grauniads cycling Corris-pondent in a video today
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

The Grauniad has an interesting article about 1984, a novel by Eric Blair

I did read it and saw a film '1984' in 1984

Seems just as interesting now as ever, (35+35) years after it was published
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I always read the 'blind date' in the Grauniad Saturdays
Today the pair both reported that they couldnae get on at all and were glad to part, that is unusual
Typically the daters plan plan to meet again as friends, quite often something more seems likely, Plus One!

Used to enjoy watching 'blind date' on tivi with Priscilla White too :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

More good news in the Grauniad
A makeup class for school pupils (girls or boys or both?) was cancelled
'It is what is in their heads, not what is on their faces, that counts' :wink: