Port or Starboard?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Port or Starboard?

Post by Mick F »

Our African Grey parrot shed a primary feather recently.

Which wing did it come from?
Feather.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
Cunobelin

Re: Port or Starboard?

Post by Cunobelin »

Count the feathers on each wing, one will have one less - sorted
Cunobelin

Post by Cunobelin »

More seriously....

My father was an amateur archer and used to believe that the wing side was important as to which way the arrow rotated during flight.

A quick google came up with this:

Second method: Hold the forward end of a diecut (pointed end) or full length feather (large end) toward yourself. Look down from the top. Rotate the feather so that its web is horizontal and its natural curve droops the end pointed away from you downward ("shedding rain" as opposed to "catching rain"). If the web is to the right of the quill base, it is a right wing feather. If the web is to the left of the quill base, it is a left wing feather

The original is here
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Port side.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I actually know which one it is, by offering it up against her wings.
Until I did that, I had no idea at all.

She objects to me pulling out her wings to look ........ although when she's feeling soppy and cuddly, I can do anything with her. Anyone else trys it, and she'd have their arm off. :lol:

She took the feather off me, and played with it, so it's a bit mangled now.
Parrots are vicious buggers and you shouldn't trust them an inch.

She's in her mid 30s now and we've had her since she was a youngster. I understand they live for 50years+ and as I'm nearly 65, I'll be in my nineties before she pops her clogs.

Any advance on Port Side?
Here's a clue.
Parrot.jpeg
Mick F. Cornwall
softlips

Post by softlips »

Starboard - it's a right sided primary.
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

softlips wrote:Starboard - it's a right sided primary.

+1
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Spot on! :D
Mick F. Cornwall
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

We arrived at Bath Marina amidst the heatwave in June ( it was 39 degrees on site) and as we pulled up, the chap alongside shouted from underneath his awning that he hoped we had one as we'd need some shade.
I walked over to talk to him and he said it had been so hot all week that he couldn't leave the site.
I thought that bit extreme until he said it wasn't safe to leave Charlie.
Imagining Charlie was an elderly canine, I was surprised to see alongside the chap a cage with Charlie, the african grey parrot.
Apparently it was too hot inside the 'van and he didn't feel it was safe leaving Charlie outside, due to all the foreign visitors with their pet dogs and cats!
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

When I saw the title of this thread I though it was going to be about COLREGs or rules of the Road or IRPCS - as they seem to have become known as ... as in when one big expensive vessel feels it owns the seas and it meets another big expensive vessel that cannot manoeuvre easily ...

Ian
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
knowing nowt about feathers but if it was a wing..........on a plane it would be starboard. That would be a guess on the shape due to the fact that leading would be the stiffer shorter and the feathers lock on down pull, which would have to be trailing.

Now how does a bat fly :?:
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Back in the seventies I worked with a guy called Wally. Wally always wanted a parrot and eventually bought one. All went well the first few days and then he came to work really covered in plasters. It seemed he'd let the parrot out of the cage and he couldn't 'persuade' it to go back. He was up until 2 am until he finally managed to get it back. I think after this when he let the parrot out it was left to the parrot to decide when to return to it's cage :lol:
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

A while back, we came home from being out much of the day, to find the cage door open and an absent parrot. :oops:
We found her in our bedroom just sitting quietly on the floor. She clucked and whistled when she saw me, so I let her climb onto my fingers and I put her back in the cage.

To this day, we don't know how she managed to open the door. Maybe she actually likes it in her cage, and she's only in there because she wants to be and could leave any time she feels like it.

The door is bolted with a spring-loaded bolt that when locked latches down. I can only think she can get her beak through and undo it. They are very intelligent and dextrous, and learn very quickly.

BTW, when we bought her, we didn't know what sex she was. It was some years before she laid her first egg, so the issue was resolved. :D
Mick F. Cornwall