"Smart" motorways?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

"Smart" motorways?

Post by 661-Pete »

In the past couple of days I've been driving - along the M62 and most of the M1. I've just been made uncomfortably aware how long it's been since I last ventured any great distance on Britain's motorway network (as opposed to France's - which I drive on several times a year). Over a year, I figure - and much has changed.

What do others think of this idea of taking away the 'hard shoulder' and replacing it with 'refuges' every 1½ miles or so?

"Nuts", I say, and a bit of googling shows I'm not alone. No protection at all if a vehicle breaks down and comes to a halt before it can get to a refuge.

My reaction, on realising what this is all about, was to absolutely refuse to drive in the left-hand lane. I'd rather be branded a middle-lane-hogger (notwithstanding the stick I might get on this forum) - than end up a dead non-middle-lane-hogger.....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
thirdcrank

Re: "Smart" motorways?

Post by thirdcrank »

Although it was a thread about roof-mounted cycle carriers, there's some discussion of smart motorways on this recent thread

viewtopic.php?p=1151838#p1151838
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

thirdcrank wrote:Although it was a thread about roof-mounted cycle carriers, there's some discussion of smart motorways on this recent thread

viewtopic.php?p=1151838#p1151838

I see. Perhaps the relevant posts in that thread should be merged with this - it's not really a 'bikes and bits technical' issue.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

It's an attempt to 'Cheaply' add capacity to roads... we all know how well that works normally, so I agree - one of the worst ideas in terms of road safety.

However... if they are actively monitored and therefore has the hard shoulder 'reenabled' easily then they are probably as safe as most A roads...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Nuts is right

Maybe there could be a refuge strip where one could stop in emergency, it does not have to be a full driveable lane which a hard shoulder is

If I had to stop I would get right over as far away from the traffic as possible, then scramble up (or down) the bank

I guess using hard shoulders as running lanes is the familiar trade-off: lives will be lost
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

And then what? Using the hard shoulder adds capacity for a few years but soon the road will be just as clogged with traffic as before.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well do need the equivalent of laybys? driving on motor ways can be very tiring. easy to compulsory purchase small sections of farming land?
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

francovendee wrote:And then what? Using the hard shoulder adds capacity for a few years but soon the road will be just as clogged with traffic as before.
Don't even need those 'few years'. We were going up the motorway network (M23, M25, then most of the M1) on Friday, and the near-gridlock started around Crawley and continued unabated as far as Nottingham. A journey from Sussex to West Yorkshire, that normally takes us about five hours, took just under nine hours. Admittedly this was a Bank Holiday weekend and we expected things to be busier than usual - but this? (Note, this was the day before that dreadful crash on the M1 that claimed 8 lives).

I don't usually rant about traffic jams: I count myself one of the lucky ones in that I don't have to endure this on a daily basis :) . This is just an observation, not a rant. But - if this is the result of 'smartening' the motorway network, heaven help us when some really smart-alec gets their grubby hands on the traffic management computers..... :twisted:
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe there could be a refuge strip where one could stop in emergency, it does not have to be a full driveable lane

In France (where, I often feel like saying, they do things a whole lot better than us Brits), the bande d'arrêt d'urgence is usually a lot narrower than its British counterpart, as can be seen - so it can't easily be converted to a driving lane. And most motorways are only 2-lane. Admittedly they are (at least the ones we're familiar with, are) a lot less crowded than British motorways - even those which are toll-free.

I can't see French traffic planners adopting our crazy ideas (at least, I hope not).....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

They're not that "smart" are they? :?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hence the question mark. Do not underrate the power of the simple "?"!
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

661-Pete wrote:Hence the question mark. Do not underrate the power of the simple "?"!

?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Vehicles are getting wider and wider

Maybe they could start getting narrower, then in a few decades the lanes could be narrowed and more traffic could get through

I am suffering a bit from heat exhaustion today, not sure whether I am thinking right :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Maybe they could start getting narrower, then in a few decades the lanes could be narrowed and more traffic could get through
Narrower! Now that's an idea. With a little help from Harry, it might just work..... :lol:

P.S. Don't try this on a bike - unless you're an alleycat!
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

661-Pete wrote:
francovendee wrote:And then what? Using the hard shoulder adds capacity for a few years but soon the road will be just as clogged with traffic as before.
Don't even need those 'few years'. We were going up the motorway network (M23, M25, then most of the M1) on Friday, and the near-gridlock started around Crawley and continued unabated as far as Nottingham. A journey from Sussex to West Yorkshire, that normally takes us about five hours, took just under nine hours. Admittedly this was a Bank Holiday weekend and we expected things to be busier than usual - but this? (Note, this was the day before that dreadful crash on the M1 that claimed 8 lives).

I don't usually rant about traffic jams: I count myself one of the lucky ones in that I don't have to endure this on a daily basis :) . This is just an observation, not a rant. But - if this is the result of 'smartening' the motorway network, heaven help us when some really smart-alec gets their grubby hands on the traffic management computers..... :twisted:

I find it almost impossible to put up with delays like this, instead of just accepting there is nothing I can do, I feel like doing what the chap the a film did where he just got out of his car and walked away. Sorry I can't remember the film but I share the sense of frustration.
We've all tales off traffic jams and my worse was 3 hours stuck on the M25. There had been an accident and the road came to a standstill.
The cost of all these jams must be enormous and I've not heard of a long term answer just stop gaps like this thread title. Just too many people on a small island.