Northern Lights (8/9 Sept 2017)

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Psamathe

Northern Lights (8/9 Sept 2017)

Post by Psamathe »

In case anybody was not aware (and is interested), big solar storm arriving tonight and an aurora: "Red alert: aurora likely".

It is likely that aurora will be visible by eye and camera from anywhere in the UK. Viewing aurora requires clear, dark skies away from light pollution.

Activity potentially starting 23:00 8 Sept, peaking midnight-01:00, and continuing at red until 03:00 (when it rapidly declines).

And whilst it might be miserable rainy now, the forecast variable depending on where you are in the UK (some areas not worth even bothering to look, others might be lucky).

Ian
Cyril Haearn

Re: Northern Lights (8/9 Sept 2017)

Post by Cyril Haearn »

If I had known a bit sooner I would have tried to overnight on Cadair Idris

Older people, who heard it in turn from their grandparents, say that anyone staying the night up there will wake either mad, blind, or a poet..
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Cyril Haearn wrote:If I had known a bit sooner I would have tried to overnight on Cadair Idris

Older people, who heard it in turn from their grandparents, say that anyone staying the night up there will wake either mad, blind, or a poet..

Forecast for that area is "not good" (bad enough that as things stand it's a case of "don't bother").

Ian
mjr

Post by mjr »

Psamathe wrote:Activity potentially starting 23:00 8 Sept, peaking midnight-01:00, and continuing at red until 03:00 (when it rapidly declines).

Thanks for the alert. Is it only tonight? Is there a good site to watch for confirmation that something is visible to someone? Just regular stuff like twitter?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

Provides email alerts of activity
mjr

Post by mjr »

Bonefishblues wrote:http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

I thought that was only predictions, not confirmation?
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

mjr wrote:
Bonefishblues wrote:http://aurorawatch.lancs.ac.uk/

I thought that was only predictions, not confirmation?

They predicted last night, and most other activity IME, but no, it's not confirmation as it hasn't yet happened, obvs!
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I got my aurora watch alert emails this morning well after any possible sighting. That sometimes happens on my email provider...

Aurorawatch had a few false alarms last year caused by a lawn mower. But quite often I've had alerts to activity at the same time of day for several days in a row( around 6.30pm typically ), I wonder if that isn't similar environmental factors.

It's always quite galling to see the weatherman in my region going "oh and there was a magnificent aurora last night heres some images" and not having had any auroratch notification. :(
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

The BBC news website had a page of some great pictures: wasnt on main page for long so had to search

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-41199051
rjb

Post by rjb »

old_windbag wrote:I got my aurora watch alert emails this morning well after any possible sighting. That sometimes happens on my email provider...

Aurorawatch had a few false alarms last year caused by a lawn mower. But quite often I've had alerts to activity at the same time of day for several days in a row( around 6.30pm typically ), I wonder if that isn't similar environmental factors.

It's always quite galling to see the weatherman in my region going "oh and there was a magnificent aurora last night heres some images" and not having had any auroratch notification. :(

I got my alert email this morning too. I am never sure as to when it relates as i sometimes get them late at night but does it refer to the next night or the current one?

I assume from the thread title that it must be the night following the mail shot. ie if i receive it in the middle of the night its for the following night but if i receive it in the evening its happening later the same night. :? :? :? :? :?
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Last night's came in the very early hours
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

rjb wrote: I am never sure as to when it relates as i sometimes get them late at night but does it refer to the next night or the current one?

I have looked at the magnetometer? readings on their site when a mail has come through and you can see the peak in activity/reading that triggers the alert. I'd imagine that the change in magnetic field readings is the direct effect of the emitted particles on the earths magnetic field so the aurora would be possible at that point in time if it happens at all. Unless the magnetic field disturbance is from the initial CME and we have a delay until any emitted particles hit the magnetic field. Psmathe may know more about the timing.

Most red alerts I get happen on cloudy nights :o .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Runner-up ( to Astronomy Photographer of the Year 2017) Kamil Nureev caught these green Northern Lights over the Siberian forest tundra
Attachments
Runner-up Kamil Nureev caught these green Northern Lights over the Siberian forest tundra
Runner-up Kamil Nureev caught these green Northern Lights over the Siberian forest tundra