Declining mileage

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Lambo

Re: Declining mileage

Post by Lambo »

I'm trying to increase my mileage, worn out knees being my limiting factor.
Trying to average around 150 miles a week, and totally in awe of all you high mileage people.
My longest ride to date being 49 miles yesterday and 25 miles today, now my left knee is complaining.
I like the reference to the changing weather and seasons, yes, something different, even on regular familiar routes.
Today I rather misjudged the weather, set off thinking perhaps just a few showers around, ok for first 10 miles but then heavy rain and strong winds, head on.
Today my ride went thus,

The deluge came and went,
and with it my comfort, all but spent,
as swallows not departed now lament.

Dried out now and it's even sunny in the garden, ;} ;}.
JohnW

Post by JohnW »

Lambo wrote:...............My longest ride to date being 49 miles yesterday and 25 miles today, now my left knee is complaining............................

Have you thought about having a bike fit?
francovendee

Post by francovendee »

Lambo wrote:I'm trying to increase my mileage, worn out knees being my limiting factor.
Trying to average around 150 miles a week, and totally in awe of all you high mileage people.
My longest ride to date being 49 miles yesterday and 25 miles today, now my left knee is complaining.
I like the reference to the changing weather and seasons, yes, something different, even on regular familiar routes.
Today I rather misjudged the weather, set off thinking perhaps just a few showers around, ok for first 10 miles but then heavy rain and strong winds, head on.
Today my ride went thus,

The deluge came and went,
and with it my comfort, all but spent,
as swallows not departed now lament.

Dried out now and it's even sunny in the garden, ;} ;}.

I'm impressed with your target, 150 per week is a good mileage (I know some here do much bigger mileages) and it will be quite hard to achieve, week in week out.
I manage around 5-6000 miles a year and have done so since retiring 8 years ago. I try to ride every day for at least 10 miles but last year my mileage dropped to 4500 miles.
I find I'm less likely to ride in poor weather and some days just don't feel like getting on the bike.
I still enjoy cycling so it must be part of getting older and liking my comfort more.
Lambo

Post by Lambo »

John W, no ,I have not had or considered a bike fit, interesting approach though.
Strangely enough, I'm here amongst all you earnest enthusiastic, even lifelong cyclists because of my knee problems.
In my younger days I was a prolific but mister average distance runner, including I might add,, a pretty average Fell runner. and that is most certainly one for the masochists!
So worn out knee joints mean I a had to take up cycling to maintain any fitness and a recent wedding encouraged a desire to lose a substantial amount of weight.
Cycling has been so successful for me in older age, I feel able to delay the inevitable new knee joint I so nearly had to have last year.
Thanks to all for the helpful comments and perhaps importantly, sorry if I have momentarily hijacked the original topic of this thread, cheers, Paul.
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Lambo wrote:Trying to average around 150 miles a week, and totally in awe of all you high mileage people..

While I was off the bike last week, realised I'd done 176 miles so must have gone somewhere.

Same last weekend and the week to date, the new mileage thingy is showing 127 miles since Friday. Must have gone somewhere (I suppose about 76miles in the last 22 hours, having dropped in to see family last night and this morning).

One of these days I'll get back on the bike :(