Obese People

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
fossala

Re: Obese People

Post by fossala »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Which ever way Mick F puts it, he is concerned if nothing else.

I could add to over weight pets..............then some would say they eats pets in other countries.............

I have 3 cats. I have had two since kittens (brother and sister) and one is a rescue. The rescue one is obese. She will eat anything she sees because when she was rescued she was skin and bones. She is also a house cat. Each morning we put her outside and lock the cat flap to try and get her to exercise, each day she just sits on the door step meowing until we let her in or unlock the cat flap.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
Which ever way Mick F puts it, he is concerned if nothing else.
There's a background to this story.
As I said - no names no packdrill.
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

Mick this isn't like you at all, you say that there is aback story, perhaps then this is not the place for such a strange out pouring of hate. Even if it the tea shop. It doesn't show cycling in a good light.
NUKe

Post by thirdcrank »

Mick F wrote:... There's a background to this story.
As I said - no names no packdrill.

It must be somebody famous or the names would mean nothing to us. Has Sir Eric Pickles been upsetting you?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No hate, just sadness and incredulity ............. if you want to put an emotion into it.
I'm sure we all know people like this, we see them in the city down here, so they must be everywhere.

I was hoping for some comments regarding what to do in cafe environments and the morals of it all.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

PH wrote:Live your own life and leave others to live theirs.

PH gave you the answer to that Mick.
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Ok.
Drop the subject.
I'm obviously not putting the case very well.

Off out this evening to Wetherspoons in Tavistock meeting up with friends. No doubt we'll stuff our faces. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

and the morals of it all.

Everybody has their different values obviously not everybody shares your (and mine) feeling that this is "really letting yourself go" and our self-respect would not let us get in the same situation without feeling some shame at least. A friend of mine once said that he would never let himself get fat, he would starve himself first, personally I lack that amount of will power.
Strangely you wouldnt get criticised for complaining about the drunks down on the streets on a Friday night offending you with their lack of self respect or even the heroine addicts taking another hit (legality isnt morality).
Strangely people feel fully entitled to harass other people for swearing, you would think they should just live their own lives and let others live theirs, but it appears that maxim is pretty hollow.
I reckon that it is still just about a free enough country to say that you find something offensive, just so long as you dont try and use your offence as a reason to harass somebody. Sounds like you did the reasonable thing and just left and sounded off to your friends afterwards. At which point you find out how many of your friends share your values and how many dont.
Oddly I can put up with most things in public places and I have shrugged off conduct that would carry a lengthy prison sentence in this country but one thing can get me out of a place in a minute or so and that is somebody sniffing, funny but it really winds me up. If I was world dictator it would replace swearing in the statute books, unfortunately I am not so I have to leave.
Yma o Hyd
PH

Post by PH »

meic wrote:Strangely people feel fully entitled to harass other people for swearing, you would think they should just live their own lives and let others live theirs, but it appears that maxim is pretty hollow.

No, it's different.
meic

Post by meic »

I love those "no, its different" answers. :lol:

Why is swearing bad then? It is just words, you couldnt even tell if I was swearing at you in Welsh!
Yma o Hyd
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Its a mental illness

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Not sure about this.
Are you suggesting that everyone who overeats is mentally ill to a greater or lesser extent?
Mick F. Cornwall
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Mick F wrote:Not sure about this.
Are you suggesting that everyone who overeats is mentally ill to a greater or lesser extent?

All our actions are driven by our minds in some way. Could be extreme stupidity, greed, anxiety or depression. No one I have met who is morbidly obese has been happy about it. Many have weak willpower and feel incapable of being able to do anything about it. In that way it stems from an irregular mental state. Greed is a lack of self control, eating foods to excess that make you obese is another form of lack of self control.

Get the mind into a determined mental state and obesity can be conquered. Its all driven by the mind. Same with drugs and alcohol. Get the mind sorted and conquer cravings.

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
PH

Post by PH »

meic wrote:I love those "no, its different" answers. :lol:

Why is swearing bad then? It is just words, you couldnt even tell if I was swearing at you in Welsh!

I thought the differences so obvious to not need explanation, but here goes anyway.
To start with, swearing isn't illegal, it becomes a public order offence only if it impacts on someone else - becomes intrusive.
The scenario in the original post and all your examples have been passive, they don't intrude on anything other than someone else's sensibilities.
It's the same as people objecting to others clothes or tattoos or appearance in any other way.
For example - I object to a neighbour playing their 80's prog rock loudly at 2am, I'm not objecting to their taste in music, or the hours they keep, but only about the way it intrudes on my life. If they did exactly the same in a way that didn't have an impact, maybe by using headphones, any objection would be unreasonable.
roubaixtuesday

Post by roubaixtuesday »

Get the mind into a determined mental state and obesity can be conquered. Its all driven by the mind

Yes. That would explain the rise in obesity over recent decades.

The minds of the population have degenerated. Obviously.