Is the average person up to the job?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mjr

Re: Is the average person up to the job?

Post by mjr »

bovlomov wrote:
mjr wrote:OK, let's head away from CUK and back to the original post: which national or local governments are still completely appointed rather than having some element of election? And which have the outgoing government deciding who is allowed to stand for election?

I can't think. Even the most backward places - such as North Korea, the Isle of Man and the City of London - have some sort form of election.

But, answering one of my own questions, North Korea, China and Cuba do have the outgoing government vetting candidates - the United Reunification Front and the Central Electoral Committee in North Korea, election committees in China and the National Candidature Commission in Cuba.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
bertgrower

Post by bertgrower »

mjr wrote:
gaz wrote:The turnout was closer to 2600, attendance by proxy is no less valid than attendance in person. You don't have to get up as early and it helps to avoid overcrowding in the room :wink: .

I hope the :wink: means that you know that's nutmegs. Voting turnout is not attendance. A large number of proxy authorities given to one person is a sign of a failing democracy, isn't it? After all, if Theresa May was proxy for 99% of UK voters, loads of people would be crying foul... (AFAIK that's not currently possible for the simple physical reason that you have to visit the polling station of each voter who you are proxying for.)

There is a way to get around lack of participation in voting at AGM it is to broadcast the AGM over the internet like the Nationsl Trust did last year and have real time voting on line. :roll: There was a motion to that effect at the 2017 AGM but was not pass because CUK said it would cost too much. They fail to mention that you can broadcast live via you tube for free and use a smart phone, even if you hired a decent equipment the cost would be few 000's pounds. But IMHO CUK hq does not want the membership to be well informed, I wonder why?
gaz

Post by gaz »

I'm conscious of the fact that this thread is debating a much wider point.

For my response re Cycling UK democracy see new topic here: viewtopic.php?f=45&t=117479&p=1165965#p1165964
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade