Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Postby mercalia » 12 Sep 2017, 12:42pm

:? Fatbergs

"A 250-metre long "fatberg" weighing 130 tonnes has been found blocking a sewer.

The solid mass of congealed fat, wet wipes, nappies, oil and condoms formed in the Victorian-era tunnel in Whitechapel, London."

The article is not for the squeamish and dont view during a meal ( shame it not in 3-D :lol: )

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-41238272

I bet there is a bigger one lurking at the Houses of Parliament sewers all the ************ there

( of course Paulatic read this story 2 days ago :lol: )

I suppose MickF "Obese" thread belongs here :lol:

brynpoeth
Posts: 8430
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby brynpoeth » 12 Sep 2017, 6:25pm

As usual, the Greatest City in the World is in a league of its own

Why do you love London?
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras & STOP signs

mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby mercalia » 24 Apr 2018, 2:19pm

so the London fatberg has been analysed and the contents are interesting and possibly pose a health risk

"The tests also discovered evidence of hordenine and ostarine, which can be found in performance-enhancing sports supplements. Ostarine, used for muscle gain, is on the World Anti-Doping Agency’s prohibited list and is not licensed for medical use in the UK.

Hordenine and ostarine represented more than half the proportion of pharmaceuticals found in the sample."


https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2018/apr/24/fatberg-autopsy-reveals-growing-health-threat-londoners?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=272454&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

User avatar
Pastychomper
Posts: 170
Joined: 14 Nov 2017, 11:14am
Location: Caithness

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby Pastychomper » 24 Apr 2018, 4:06pm

I wonder how they'll dispose of it. Burn it, maybe? At a quick estimate, 130 tonnes of 90% fat could provide all of Parliament's electricity for over a fortnight. :shock:

Let the jokes commence.


Edit: Typo. I meant to refer to the berg's mass, not its colour.
Last edited by Pastychomper on 25 Apr 2018, 12:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
Everyone's ghast should get a good flabbering now and then.
--Ole Boot

mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby mercalia » 24 Apr 2018, 4:59pm

Pastychomper wrote:I wonder how they'll dispose of it. Burn it, maybe? At a quick estimate, 130 tones of 90% fat could provide all of Parliament's electricity for over a fortnight. :shock:

Let the jokes commence.


nah will be sold to Tescos as cooking fat, special edition :shock:

Debs
Posts: 327
Joined: 19 May 2017, 7:05pm

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby Debs » 24 Apr 2018, 7:18pm

Some fast foot companies have been recycling it for years :roll:

Image

windysmithy
Posts: 134
Joined: 10 Dec 2009, 8:03pm
Location: Blackdown Hills, Devonside

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby windysmithy » 24 Apr 2018, 9:42pm


mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby mercalia » 25 Apr 2018, 9:33am

and the Guardian Speaks Again

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2018/apr/24/why-there-are-more-gym-supplements-in-a-london-fatberg-than-cocaine-and-mdma?utm_source=esp&utm_medium=Email&utm_campaign=GU+Today+main+NEW+H+categories&utm_term=272622&subid=7646217&CMP=EMCNEWEML6619I2

seems like there is a Ch4 programme on tonight Tuesday 24 April, 9pm, Channel 4

"There are currently 12 fatbergs in London, all of which are so solid that the only way to extract them is by hand. It’s a painfully slow business. The latest monster in central London is thought to measure 750 metres, making it significantly larger than the legendary Whitechapel fatberg of 2017."
https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2018/apr/21/fatberg-autopsy-getting-to-the-bottom-of-londons-dirty-secrets

seems like the Guardian likes all this smut :lol:

User avatar
Cugel
Posts: 988
Joined: 13 Nov 2017, 11:14am

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby Cugel » 25 Apr 2018, 11:37am

Perhaps the bits of berg can be redistributed amongst the inhabitants of the boroughs feeding the blocker sewers?

"Good morning, Mrs Flushing! Here is your portion of baby-detritus, unwanted drug, plastic-enhanced cotton pufferies and junkfud fat. We apologise for our inability to differentiate these useful items from their matrix of effluent but perhaps you yourself can perform the advisable separations".

Meanwhile, the sewers will be closed for further purging, so that the various stuffs heretofore flushed away to "elsewhere" will instead remain "here" and in need of local processing by the consumers who have purchased them. There will probably have to be a strengthening of the laws concerning fly-tipping and burning noxious substances on the garden bonty...

Eventually there will be a revival of the crafts of cotton nappy boiling, cooking real grub from unwrapped ingredients and perhaps heavy sales of composting toilets & vegetable seedlings. Plastics will be banned, with those already extant employed to encase the now redundant producers of the nasty stuff, as "a warning from history", not to mention a dissuasion upon greedy polluting profiteers everywhere.

Cugel, with a practical suggestion for every difficulty.

mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby mercalia » 25 Apr 2018, 12:54pm

Cugel wrote:Perhaps the bits of berg can be redistributed amongst the inhabitants of the boroughs feeding the blocker sewers?

"Good morning, Mrs Flushing! Here is your portion of baby-detritus, unwanted drug, plastic-enhanced cotton pufferies and junkfud fat. We apologise for our inability to differentiate these useful items from their matrix of effluent but perhaps you yourself can perform the advisable separations".

Meanwhile, the sewers will be closed for further purging, so that the various stuffs heretofore flushed away to "elsewhere" will instead remain "here" and in need of local processing by the consumers who have purchased them. There will probably have to be a strengthening of the laws concerning fly-tipping and burning noxious substances on the garden bonty...

Eventually there will be a revival of the crafts of cotton nappy boiling, cooking real grub from unwrapped ingredients and perhaps heavy sales of composting toilets & vegetable seedlings. Plastics will be banned, with those already extant employed to encase the now redundant producers of the nasty stuff, as "a warning from history", not to mention a dissuasion upon greedy polluting profiteers everywhere.

Cugel, with a practical suggestion for every difficulty.


or sell it to tourists - in a sealed glass canister of course. Though would be interesting to know what US customs would make of it :lol:

User avatar
[XAP]Bob
Posts: 16697
Joined: 26 Sep 2008, 4:12pm

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby [XAP]Bob » 26 Apr 2018, 11:22am

The contents of parliament?

Edit - I should note that the title of the thread was 'Is there anything more disgusting' when I posted this
Last edited by [XAP]Bob on 27 Apr 2018, 1:58pm, edited 2 times in total.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.

Flinders
Posts: 2980
Joined: 10 Mar 2009, 6:47pm

Re: The Disgusting thread:Can you think of anything more revolting?

Postby Flinders » 27 Apr 2018, 7:54am

mercalia wrote:
Cugel wrote:Perhaps the bits of berg can be redistributed amongst the inhabitants of the boroughs feeding the blocker sewers . . . . . etc.?

or sell it to tourists - in a sealed glass canister of course. Though would be interesting to know what US customs would make of it :lol:

Given the contents, it sounds like you could boil it down and concentrate it and sell it to sports cheats.

Tangled Metal
Posts: 4274
Joined: 13 Feb 2015, 8:32pm

Re: Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Postby Tangled Metal » 27 Apr 2018, 8:38am

I thought fatbergs were British holiday makers floating in the pools of all inclusive holiday hotels before going out to get drunk, start fights and get laid while letting it all hang out. I'm not sure if the real thing is more of less disgusting!

User avatar
661-Pete
Posts: 7902
Joined: 22 Nov 2012, 8:45pm

Re: Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Postby 661-Pete » 27 Apr 2018, 12:49pm

Get rid of all the sewers and give every household a septic tank. That'll learn 'em.
Pete

Et qui rit des curés d'Oc?/De Meuse raines, houp! de cloques./De quelles loques ce turque coin./Et ne d'anes ni rennes,/Ecuries des curés d'Oc. - Louis d'Antin

mercalia
Posts: 9204
Joined: 22 Sep 2013, 10:03pm
Location: london South

Re: Fatbergs. [ Enjoy your dinner :) ]

Postby mercalia » 27 Apr 2018, 2:49pm

661-Pete wrote:Get rid of all the sewers and give every household a septic tank. That'll learn 'em.


or just dump the stuff in the street as they did in olden times ( often out of the window onto walkers below ) :?