Animated map of how Earth will look in 250 million years

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

forget about med hols....

http://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/wonder/animated-map-of-how-earth-will-look-in-250-million-years/vi-AArHBAw
old_windbag

Re: Animated map of how Earth will look in 250 million years

Post by old_windbag »

Is that not in effect returning to pangaea? That broke up a similar time in the past, this video seems to play it in reverse to go back to a super continent.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

old_windbag wrote:Is that not in effect returning to pangaea? That broke up a similar time in the past, this video seems to play it in reverse to go back to a super continent.

was my thought also
Norman H

Post by Norman H »

Looks like we may need another referendum if we don't want to be apart of it. :)
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Slrtibartfast isn't going to be happy - where have all the fjords gone?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Hawkings apparently has said that we need to colonise another planet within 100yrs( or we're doomed... no that was dads army ). I tire of this "how can we travel to proxima centauri, what will we need to survive the journey". I like the idea of exploring the moons of our local solar system planets for life but even the notion of bioforming mars within our local domain annoys me. These are beautiful places in their own right don't let's b*gger them up too.

We have a fantastic planet that provides us all we need and will for the next few billion years, probably beyond humans as we are today( we are still evolving.... back to chimps ). That the planet and it's diversity of species is wasted on most of the human population, that humans cannot live without destroying and polluting left right and centre, that humans cannot understand population control in light of medical advances....... then, kindly put ideas of colonising other planets out of our minds, they are wasted on us.

Major population reduction is key to a happy planet where we aren't fighting over resources and a more educated population who appreciate what we have and how to care for it and sustain it. Unfortunately at present I think the balance is over towards ignorance of the great place that is planet earth. The clangers would teach them a lot. But an incurable epidemic may be more effective :wink: .
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Atleast Trump will be happy as I seem to remember South America becomes split off from the North - not sure where Mexico goes in all this. But Merkel and the EU will have to get ready for millions more from Africa as I think the med vanishes - they can then just walk over :lol: as they presumblly did when they displaced the Neanderthals way back when :(
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

There are many things about which I worry, some personal and selfish, some far less so......250m years hence is not one of them. Time will just roll on. Q "What is time?" A "One bloody thing after another."
pete75

Post by pete75 »

Looks like we'll be rejoining Europe then....... :wink:
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
ferrit worrier

Post by ferrit worrier »

With all that land mass on one side it could get a bit of a wobble on. The suez canal will be tight squeeze.
Percussive maintainance, if it don't fit, hit it with the hammer.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

ferrit worrier wrote:With all that land mass on one side it could get a bit of a wobble on.

Just look at what the Tharsis plateau did to Mars!

Ian
Last edited by Psamathe on 23 Sep 2017, 2:59pm, edited 1 time in total.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

With that mass of land as a "blob" on one side of the planet would that imply the sea would bulge on the other side to compensate and keep stability? As the sea is more mobile than land and easier to deform.

On top of that the moon will be about 6000miles further away so no perfect eclipses and a change to tidal levels.

As much as by our scale our earth mountains and ocean deeps are enormous, relative to the earths size it's a pretty smooth sphere( putting aside its oblateness ).
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Did I read somewhere that the universe is expanding and also accelerating?
In 250M years, we won't be able to see any stars.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Mick F wrote:Did I read somewhere that the universe is expanding and also accelerating?
In 250M years, we won't be able to see any stars.

as if you will care :wink:
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Mick F wrote:In 250M years, we won't be able to see any stars.

Don't worry if you've been frozen and brought back to life a few heavy blows to your cranium will fix that.

On a serious note 250 million years is small relative to the events that will happen in our universe, even our sun has about 5 billion+ years of active life left. So 20 times the time we are talking of here.