New words/vocab on these fora, boards..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mikeymo

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:'Othering' as a verb...

Actually probably a gerund, a verbal noun. The model for a gerund that I remember from schoolboy Latin was "there was a throwing of the spear by the soldier". Thank you, Mr Jones.

"Othering" is an excellent word. Its meaning is well enough explained in the links Jonathan gave. If words help us to think, and make ideas concrete, then "othering" does a very good job.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Superspreader-Event

Back then: the discovery of 'I cannae believe it is not butter!'
Now: religious service of worship in a church :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

mikeymo wrote:

Actually probably a gerund, a verbal noun. The model for a gerund that I remember from schoolboy Latin was "there was a throwing of the spear by the soldier". Thank you, Mr Jones.

"Othering" is an excellent word. Its meaning is well enough explained in the links Jonathan gave. If words help us to think, and make ideas concrete, then "othering" does a very good job.

I'm not surprised neither you nor Jonathan got any acknowledgement from Cyril for your responses to his post: I doubt that's the reaction he was after. I've used 'othering' on here to describe his 'all motorists are terrorists' rants, and I'd say he used this thread to vent rather than have that debate.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I prefer no contact with those who make false allegations and try to 'interpret' views of others

Please, who asserted that 'all motorists are terrorists'?
Link please!
DevonDamo

Post by DevonDamo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer no contact with those who make false allegations about me

Link please!

I'm now genuinely not sure whether you want me to reply or don't want any contact from me! Anyhoo, I'm saying that it's you who asserted that motorists are terrorists. Here's one link for you:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97252&p=1189992&hilit=terrorists#p1189992

However, if you use the forum search facility you'll find 6 pages of results for 'terrorists,' the first 4 of which are pretty much all you. Unfortunately, the particular thread where we crossed swords over this specific issue (your 'phantom button pusher' thread) has now rightly been deleted. Nevertheless, there are still many more surviving posts, like the one above, where you're encouraging everyone to press buttons on pedestrian crossings whenever they can - to hold up the 'terrorists.' You've never made any exceptions to this policy - i.e. all of us should always press pedestrian crossing buttons at every opportunity we get. If you're about to try to argue that you don't mean all motorists are terrorists, what you've consistently written on this issue doesn't support that.

Sorry that you feel I'm making false allegations about you Cyril, but the facts are clear: on 12th August at 2.33pm, I made a post using the word 'othering' in a thread in which you were participating. An hour later, despite having said nothing on that thread, you'd scuttled off here to moan about this abuse of language, despite jdsk already having posted links to books explaining its meaning, usage and relevance. Needless to say, when you were put straight with a dictionary definition on this thread, your thanks weren't forthcoming. I prefer to argue my case openly rather than sneaking around playing bizarre games.
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

DevonDamo wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:I prefer no contact with those who make false allegations about me

Link please!

I'm now genuinely not sure whether you want me to reply or don't want any contact from me! Anyhoo, I'm saying that it's you who asserted that motorists are terrorists. Here's one link for you:

https://forum.cyclinguk.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=97252&p=1189992&hilit=terrorists#p1189992

However, if you use the forum search facility you'll find 6 pages of results for 'terrorists,' the first 4 of which are pretty much all you. Unfortunately, the particular thread where we crossed swords over this specific issue (your 'phantom button pusher' thread) has now rightly been deleted. Nevertheless, there are still many more surviving posts, like the one above, where you're encouraging everyone to press buttons on pedestrian crossings whenever they can - to hold up the 'terrorists.' You've never made any exceptions to this policy - i.e. all of us should always press pedestrian crossing buttons at every opportunity we get. If you're about to try to argue that you don't mean all motorists are terrorists, what you've consistently written on this issue doesn't support that.

Sorry that you feel I'm making false allegations about you Cyril, but the facts are clear: on 12th August at 2.33pm, I made a post using the word 'othering' in a thread in which you were participating. An hour later, despite having said nothing on that thread, you'd scuttled off here to moan about this abuse of language, despite jdsk already having posted links to books explaining its meaning, usage and relevance. Needless to say, when you were put straight with a dictionary definition on this thread, your thanks weren't forthcoming. I prefer to argue my case openly rather than sneaking around playing bizarre games.

You can't possibly win this. After all, you're arguing with an "intellectual". What's that saying about being a lady...?
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

You are probably not a real cyclist, anyway.
John
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Oldjohnw wrote:You are probably not a real cyclist, anyway.

You're completely correct. My cycling is unreal.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I have occasionally noted that the majority of drivers routinely break the law, don't suppose anyone disagrees with that

Certainly many drivers are terrorists, following close behind cyclists or other vehicles, refusing to drop back, refusing to wait a moment etc

I used to drive a lot, I should welcome being held up for a couple of minutes by a crossing that was activated to fight terror, anything that slows motor traffic is welcome

I have never been terrorised by a masked person with a gun or knife, I have often been *terrorised* by drivers when I have been cycling walking, drinking, for example when waking across the road at a pedestrian crossing, when a vehicle I thought had stopped suddenly crawls or lurches forward
Best not to trust them, none of them
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 3 Nov 2020, 2:48pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

Back to the fascinating topic of English usage and how it changes.

Cyril Haearn wrote:Back then: the discovery of 'I cannae believe it is not butter!'

If that's a quotation shouldn't it be "I Can’t Believe It’s Not Butter!"?

(It's also a registered trade mark.)

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

thirdcrank wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:... Who today knows what a GPO was?

I do, but no feelings of nostalgia. (I thought it was the GPO.)

Some of these are really persistent. Utility "Boards" is another example.

And "Road Fund/ Tax" as in the canonical shout at cyclists.

One of the quick clinical tests of cognitive function is to ask the patient the name of the Prime Minister. This stopped working for several years after 1990 as the normal answer was "Thatcher"!

Jonathan
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

mikeymo wrote:

Actually probably a gerund, a verbal noun. The model for a gerund that I remember from schoolboy Latin was "there was a throwing of the spear by the soldier".

See also Molesworth!

: - )

Jonathan
mikeymo

Post by mikeymo »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I have occasionally noted that the majority of drivers routinely break the law, don't suppose anyone disagrees with that

Certainly many drivers are terrorists, following close behind cyclists or other vehicles, refusing to drop back, refusing to wait a moment etc

I used to drive a lot, I should welcome being held up for a couple of minutes by a crossing that was activated to fight terror, anything that slows motor traffic is welcome

I have never been terrorised by a masked person with a gun or knife, I have often been *terrorised* by drivers when I have been cycling walking, drinking, for example when waking across the road at a pedestrian crossing, when a vehicle I thought had stopped suddenly crawls or lurches forward
Best not to trust them, none of them

I'm not going to bother going to a dictionary to come up with a definition. Because most people have a fairly good understanding of the commonly held meaning of the word "terrorist".

You are of course free to ascribe to the word "terrorist" your own meaning. But don't be surprised if other people view you as foolish to do so. Or even to think that you are perverting the language to suit your own ends.

However, if I saw you deliberately pressing the stop button on a pedestrian crossing, in order to hold up traffic, you would very soon learn a new definition of "terrorist".
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For anyone unfamiliar with them here's a gerund

a gerund.jpg
a gerund.jpg (23.16 KiB) Viewed 289 times

Some may (or may not) be more familiar with Kennedy as the author of a book about eating prime beef.
Jdsk

Post by Jdsk »

As Any Fule Kno!

: - )

Jonathan