New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Oldjohnw
Posts: 4665
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New words/vocab on these forae

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 7:33am

One thing for sure is that the word 'forae' of this heading us a new word. It isn't part of the declension of forum
John

Elizabeth_S
Posts: 182
Joined: 27 May 2013, 3:18pm
Location: Dunblane

Re: New words/vocab on these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Elizabeth_S » 3 Jul 2020, 12:05pm

Not one I use here, but a favourite of mine to use
dogsposal unit
feeding the dog odds and ends, usually bits of veg or crumbs while preparing food
If you have a dog, you'll know what I mean!

colin54
Posts: 1312
Joined: 24 Sep 2013, 4:34pm

Re: New words/vocab on these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby colin54 » 3 Jul 2020, 12:16pm

Shouldn't the title read 'This Forum' anyway, it's called 'Cycling UK Forum' - singular ?

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4665
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 2:02pm

Is virii a new word here? I have never come across it anywhere else.
John

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4665
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New words/vocab on these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 2:05pm

colin54 wrote:Shouldn't the title read 'This Forum' anyway, it's called 'Cycling UK Forum' - singular ?


In the original Latin usage the plural of forum is fora.

In the specific modern usage the plural is forums. Forae is not a word in either language.
John

User avatar
Audax67
Posts: 4759
Joined: 25 Aug 2011, 9:02am
Location: Alsace, France
Contact:

Re: New words/vocab on these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Audax67 » 3 Jul 2020, 2:22pm

Elizabeth_S wrote:Not one I use here, but a favourite of mine to use
dogsposal unit
feeding the dog odds and ends, usually bits of veg or crumbs while preparing food
If you have a dog, you'll know what I mean!


I like canine pre-rinse cycle, i.e. letting the dogs lick the plates before they go in the dishwasher.
Have we got time for another cuppa?

thirdcrank
Posts: 29038
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: New words/vocab on these forae

Postby thirdcrank » 3 Jul 2020, 5:12pm

mikeymo wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Ultimately, usage prevails but meaning may be lost on the way.

"Forensic" used to be an adjective derived from forum and it meant connected with the courts or legal system.


Has any meaning been lost? I don't think the past tense - "meant" - applies. Forensic still means exactly what you say it means, to do with the courts. That's why there are such things as forensic accountants, forensic psychologists etc.


Among the relevant professions, this may be so, but I think that these days, most people who hear the word forensic think in terms of the wombles. I do remember around 25 years ago saying to a solicitor that a forensic medical examination was needed and he clearly thought I was losing it, bearing in mind we were discussing a living person and not a corpse. I wonder how often the people you mention have to explain what they do. It's a pity, because we have no alternative word but its meaning has IMO drifted.

(Wombles was an acronym when I was still working and I've been retired 23 years. It stands for something like White Overalled Men with Blue Elasticated Shoes.)

Cyril Haearn
Posts: 13737
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am
Location: Leafy suburbia

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Cyril Haearn » 3 Jul 2020, 5:15pm

Words can be misused, we must fight against this by using them correctly, as for example with 'may' and 'can' :wink:

+1 for wombles, I have Uncle Bulgaria as a small cuddly toy
Entertainer, intellectual, idealist, PoB, 60097
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies

Oldjohnw
Posts: 4665
Joined: 16 Oct 2018, 4:23am
Location: Northumberland

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby Oldjohnw » 3 Jul 2020, 5:22pm

Shall and will?
John

matt_twam_asi
Posts: 288
Joined: 29 Apr 2008, 10:56am
Location: West Sussex

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby matt_twam_asi » 3 Jul 2020, 9:17pm

Oldjohnw wrote:
colin54 wrote:Shouldn't the title read 'This Forum' anyway, it's called 'Cycling UK Forum' - singular ?


In the original Latin usage the plural of forum is fora.

In the specific modern usage the plural is forums. Forae is not a word in either language.


On a related topic, I've only ever seen virii used in reference to the computer kind, and even then it was intended to be ironic (virii = 2 viruses. viriii - 3 viruses. viriv = 4 viruses etc.) What say you, latin scholars of this fora, forae, forums bulletin board?

mikeymo
Posts: 1201
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: New words/vocab on these forae

Postby mikeymo » 3 Jul 2020, 11:13pm

thirdcrank wrote:
mikeymo wrote:
thirdcrank wrote:Ultimately, usage prevails but meaning may be lost on the way.

"Forensic" used to be an adjective derived from forum and it meant connected with the courts or legal system.


Has any meaning been lost? I don't think the past tense - "meant" - applies. Forensic still means exactly what you say it means, to do with the courts. That's why there are such things as forensic accountants, forensic psychologists etc.


Among the relevant professions, this may be so, but I think that these days, most people who hear the word forensic think in terms of the wombles. I do remember around 25 years ago saying to a solicitor that a forensic medical examination was needed and he clearly thought I was losing it, bearing in mind we were discussing a living person and not a corpse. I wonder how often the people you mention have to explain what they do. It's a pity, because we have no alternative word but its meaning has IMO drifted.

(Wombles was an acronym when I was still working and I've been retired 23 years. It stands for something like White Overalled Men with Blue Elasticated Shoes.)


I'm not in any of the "relevant" professions, and I know that it means - to do with the courts or legal system. But it seems to be widespread that people think they don't need to know the meaning of any words if they are at all "specialist" or "scientific" or "technical". I would rather hope that those people might be eliminated in some sort of linguistic Darwinian process, but I suppose only the most naive doctor would expect to ask a patient if the pain in the lower right abdomen was chronic or acute and diagnose accordingly.

"Literally" is pretty much gone, that horse has well and truly bolted. Literally.

I still cling to the wreckage of "data", to no avail though. My brother with his English degree tells me it's a mass noun, but I'm having none of it. It's the plural of datum. I might start using datums instead, as using data correctly - "these data are" - just makes me sound like an illiterate buffoon, especially with a northern accent.

mikeymo
Posts: 1201
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby mikeymo » 3 Jul 2020, 11:17pm

matt_twam_asi wrote:
Oldjohnw wrote:
colin54 wrote:Shouldn't the title read 'This Forum' anyway, it's called 'Cycling UK Forum' - singular ?


In the original Latin usage the plural of forum is fora.

In the specific modern usage the plural is forums. Forae is not a word in either language.


On a related topic, I've only ever seen virii used in reference to the computer kind, and even then it was intended to be ironic (virii = 2 viruses. viriii - 3 viruses. viriv = 4 viruses etc.) What say you, latin scholars of this fora, forae, forums bulletin board?


Yes, virii is a joke. A joke that some people don't get, in which case it's on them. Possibly the same people who correct - "and there you have it - viola!!"

mikeymo
Posts: 1201
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby mikeymo » 3 Jul 2020, 11:28pm

Cyril Haearn wrote:Words can be misused, we must fight against this by using them correctly, as for example with 'may' and 'can'


OK then, so far we've got the plural of 'forum' to be careful about, and the correct use of 'may' and 'can'.

You've used 'fora' many times, and mentioned the second example often too.

But are there any other misuses which you think it would be good to carefully watch out for?

thirdcrank
Posts: 29038
Joined: 9 Jan 2007, 2:44pm

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby thirdcrank » 4 Jul 2020, 9:59am

Split infinitives.

:wink:

mikeymo
Posts: 1201
Joined: 27 Sep 2016, 6:23pm

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby mikeymo » 4 Jul 2020, 10:09am

thirdcrank wrote:Split infinitives.

:wink:


Well done. 10 points. Any more? ;-)