New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
jimlews
Location: Not the end of the World. But you can see it from here.

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby jimlews » 19 Jul 2020, 1:34pm

thirdcrank wrote:Perhaps we should start ending attempts at humour with "geddit??!?!?!"

"geddit??!?!?!" (Sorry for that.)

No! That spoils the fun!!

Don't be too hard on English; it's a bit of a mulatto among languages and therein lies it's charm. It's mongrel vigor.

I've just been out for a short ride and have obviously shaken up a few little grey cells.
I got to wondering, mid ride, if greengrocers can have their own apostrophe, why not other trades and professions.
I wonder for instance,what a builder's apostrophe would look like. They have their own cleavage, so why not an apostrophe to go with it ?

A doctor's apostrophe; found in the appendix, perhaps?

mercalia

Re: New words/vocab on this forum, these fora, forae, forums, chatboards..

Postby mercalia » 22 Jul 2020, 1:47pm

cancel culture. "canceling" people. A form of policing ideas normally from the left who think you dont think in the right way. ( I listened to a guy -professor pinker- on radio 4 world at one today who some ( 550 "academics" )had tried to cancel. Its a terrible thing that has risen hand in hand with BLM & the LGBQT rights movement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Online_shaming

professor pinker
https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/07/16/harvard-professor-stephen-pinker-attacked-550-academics-tweets/

“Steve is too big for this kerfuffle to affect him,” he said. “But it’s depressing that an erudite and reasonable scholar is seen by a lot of intelligent people as an undercover monster.”

Some are tying to do the same to J K Rowling it seems?