Spider alert

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Ben@Forest

Re: Spider alert

Post by Ben@Forest »

Mick F wrote:
661-Pete wrote:No UK spiders are harmful to humans.
Harmful?

I picked one up in the living room some time back, to transport it outside.
As I cupped it in my hand, it bit me.
It actually hurt!

If it bit me on the hand, it could have bitten me anywhere. :shock:

Most UK spiders cannot bite a human, their mandibles simply aren't big enough (imagine a human trying to bite an inflated beach ball). They are all venomous but even if you do get bitten the amount of venom UK spiders have (enough to paralyse a fly or similar) cannot do you any real damage, at worst it would feel like a mild wasp sting. There is no record of anyone dying from a spider bite in the UK and that includes people bitten by foreign spiders which were found in a bunch of bananas.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

old_windbag wrote:
Mick F wrote:If it bit me on the hand, it could have bitten me anywhere.

Even spiders have a sense of decency.
Are you sure? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

If you got one of these in your underpants you'd have something to shout about.

http://video.nationalgeographic.com/video/tarantula_goliath

The story I heard on tv( everythings true on there! ), was that field workers would get bitten by a spider and frantically dance to get the poison out. They think the dance became the tarantello because the spider they saw was the large european tarantula but likely the bite they got was from the much smaller european black widow. Might be an urban myth.

Imagine when oxygen levels were much higher on earth and spiders were 2ft across with similar sized dragonflies too, what a world that was.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Mick F wrote:I picked one up in the living room some time back, to transport it outside.
It actually hurt!
I suppose you may have encountered the Hobo Spider of ill repute, rare in Britain and rarely found indoors here. But after a bit of googling, it seems that the much commoner Giant House Spider can occasionally inflict a bite, though it is non-aggressive and very reluctant to do so. News to me at any rate! I have often picked them up without problems. I suppose the trick is to hold them very gently, and avoid squeezing. Or if - like so many people - you're squeamish about handling the creature, try to trap it in a cup or something.

But - unless it's in a really inconvenient situation, like stopping you from having a bath, an even better practice is to simply leave it alone. While it's squatting on your wall or ceiling, it really is harmless....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Left one running around the lounge during a meeting this week...
The really spindly ones that end up in the bah I'll scoop gently with a flannel, but the house spiders get the cup and paper treatment if I need to evict them.

They might be harmless on the ceiling, but they aren't staying on the bedroom ceiling...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

[XAP]Bob wrote:They might be harmless on the ceiling, but they aren't staying on the bedroom ceiling...

yes it's amazing they can cling to the mirrors :wink: .
meic

Post by meic »

but they aren't staying on the bedroom ceiling...

They never do, when it is dark they creep down to investigate those nice warm damp cavities in the nose and ears. :mrgreen:
Yma o Hyd
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

I was bitten by a smallish fattish spider whilst unstacking firewood in the Alps.
I saw the beast run up my arm and it bit me near the elbow. The forearm swelled up quite badly, almost as badly as a bee sting.
Spider got away! :(
meic

Post by meic »

When I was in Australia the one that worried people was the white-tail spider because when it bit you it caused gangrene and you had to have bits cut off or die. Unlike the cleaner quicker results from other spiders.
However it turns out to have been a false accusation, even if from the authorities themselves rather than the usual source of a guy in the pub.
http://www.australiangeographic.com.au/ ... il-spiders

The funnel web was the only really fatal one and that lives in a very small geographical area.
Yma o Hyd
Ruadh495

Post by Ruadh495 »

661-Pete wrote:
Mick F wrote:I picked one up in the living room some time back, to transport it outside.
It actually hurt!
I suppose you may have encountered the Hobo Spider of ill repute, rare in Britain and rarely found indoors here. But after a bit of googling, it seems that the much commoner Giant House Spider can occasionally inflict a bite, though it is non-aggressive and very reluctant to do so. News to me at any rate! I have often picked them up without problems. I suppose the trick is to hold them very gently, and avoid squeezing. Or if - like so many people - you're squeamish about handling the creature, try to trap it in a cup or something.

But - unless it's in a really inconvenient situation, like stopping you from having a bath, an even better practice is to simply leave it alone. While it's squatting on your wall or ceiling, it really is harmless....

Apparently Giant House Spiders and Hobo Spiders really don't like each other, so if you have the one you won't have the other. Another reason to leave Giant House Spiders alone. Not sure how you tell them apart at a glance though.

I too handle House Spiders (Tegenaria) (my wife and children insist they are evicted) and have felt the occasional pinch, but they never break the skin.

Mouse spiders (Scotophaeus) and Tube Web Spiders (Segestria) both look to me like they could bite, so I avoid handing those. They occur in the shed but I've never had them in the house.

Woodlouse Spiders (Dysdera) and Diving Bell Spiders (Argyroneta) are also supposed to be capable of penetrating human skin. Diving Bell Spiders have to be one of the most fascinating bits of wildlife we have, they live underwater but are air breathers who keep an air supply in a modified web. Globally they are somewhat rare, but can be locally common in Britain.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

so the next questio is if you have a resident spider what is it name?

my big one is called frida

does any one leave out food?
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

mercalia wrote:so the next questio is if you have a resident spider what is it name?

my big one is called frida

does any one leave out food?

Which stands for
"Flaming" Really Impressively Dangerous Arachnid.

Sorry. I'll get me coat.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Boris.
All the big ones are called Boris.
Mick F. Cornwall
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

PS
Just remembered.
When we lived in Plymstock back in the early 1980s, the little boy next door (2year old) used to eat spiders.
His name was Dean .............. I wonder if he'll ever read this? :lol:
Mick F. Cornwall
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Mick F wrote:Boris.
All the big ones are called Boris.

Poisonous and treacherous, with an massively overrated sense of self worth?