Sell or store a frame?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
PH

Sell or store a frame?

Post by PH »

Argh!!! This is doing my head in... I have a Hewitt touring frame that isn't being used, following an accident it was off the road for four years while the insurers haggled, then to everyone's surprise they had it repaired and resprayed rather than replaced. But by that time I'd replaced it and now despite trying several builds it just isn't different enough to my other bikes to get ridden very often.
So, here I have a frame that's 14 years old, but looks like new, has had £320 spent on the repair, and sold probably wouldn't fetch even the repair costs. I've "borrowed" some parts off it for other bikes including the front wheel and some parts are in need of replacement if not now then in the near future. I don't really have the space to keep it as a bike, though I could easily store the frame (Under the bed :wink: ) It's possible that it may get used some day - for example if a current frame needed replacing for some reason. And although I could find a use for the cash, I don't need to sell it.
I must have written and deleted the an advert for it a dozen times :oops:

What should I do?
Get it complete and ride it?
Sell it for whatever and move on?
wrap it in cotton wool and store it?
Toss a coin?
Something else?
fossala

Re: Sell or store a frame?

Post by fossala »

I used to keep things I didn't use "just in case" and had a lot of junk in my house. About a year and a half ago I moved and when I did I binned/sold/donated everything I hadn't used in a year. The new house is tidy and everything has a place. I can't even remember all the things I got rid of.

Anyway long story short, I wouldn't keep it.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

No need to decide now

Put it aside and wait a bit, maybe now is not the right time to decide

If you sell it you might regret doing so later

I went to a good exhibition about decisions, if you can read German you can Google *Stapferhaus Lenzburg Entscheidungen*. One good method is to take something to boost your blood sugar before deciding

I am enthusiastic about education in decision-making, if more right decisions were made people could be happier with few or no extra costs

In German we have a useful word, *jein*, yesandnoatthesametime
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 28 Sep 2017, 5:25pm, edited 3 times in total.
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Must have over twenty frames around and about the property.
Two were going for scrap, but I couldn't part with them.....................I hung them under the carport with all the other excess stuff................now I bang my head on them :lol:

just hung them further up :)
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

A month has elapsed

What was your decision, or have you not made one yet?
PH

Post by PH »

Cyril Haearn wrote:A month has elapsed

What was your decision, or have you not made one yet?

Ha, sometimes it pays to procrastinate...
Another of my bikes has a cracked frame and by replacing that with something not quite the same, then selling a different bike, I should end up with fewer bikes covering the same range with less overlap. Or maybe not...
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I think the only reason to get rid of stuff is if you a) are thinking of moving b) need the money c) need the space d) have a terminal illness e) have a nagging partner? Otherwise have a get-rid-of-list should the above ever arise?
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:I think the only reason to get rid of stuff is if you a) are thinking of moving b) need the money c) need the space d) have a terminal illness e) have a nagging partner? Otherwise have a get-rid-of-list should the above ever arise?

I have collected books for many years, gradually over months or years I realised I had too many, I will never read many of them, there are others I want to read again and again

My favourite story about this: Hans in luck (see Wikipedia)
Debs

Post by Debs »

The big decision:
I think a lot depends upon how much sentiment you have with your Hewitt touring frame?
Also, how likely is it you'll need it to go touring on at some time in the future?

Back in the late 90s before a house move and at a time of some financial difficulty i hastily sold two custom built Reynolds 531c frames which were made to measure for me in the early 80s. I had a great many rides and races on these bikes, and the memories are precious.
Twenty years further on i really regret selling them, often wonder where those frames are now, is someone looking after them (?) or do they no longer exist having succumbed to neglectful ownerships - and into a mess of prang-damage, rust and decay and now lying buried deep in the unconsecrated bicycle graveyard of a council tip :cry:

However i have sold-on many of my bikes and frames which although quite trim and classy, were of no deep sentimental attachment or meaningful involvement to my cycling activities. This includes a 1986 Reynolds 531st custom built touring frame that was utterly beautiful, but i was soon to realise it would merely be used to support spiders webs in the garage unless i sold it on, and i also felt happy about someone using it for the task it was designed for, and the going forth and enjoying it :D
PH

Post by PH »

mercalia wrote:c) need the space

This is the one that applies in this case, I have one more bike than space permits, I could store another one as parts, but keeping it as a ready to ride bike is at best awkward.
PH

Post by PH »

Debs wrote:I think a lot depends upon how much sentiment you have with your Hewitt touring frame?

I don't think I'm emotionally attached to any of my bikes, any sentiment is likely to be along the lines of a good bike not being ridden.
I'm probably more financially attached to it, the idea that I haven't had value out of the recent costs ties me to it more than anything else.
Debs

Post by Debs »

PH wrote:
Debs wrote:I think a lot depends upon how much sentiment you have with your Hewitt touring frame?

I don't think I'm emotionally attached to any of my bikes, any sentiment is likely to be along the lines of a good bike not being ridden.
I'm probably more financially attached to it, the idea that I haven't had value out of the recent costs ties me to it more than anything else.

It does sounds like your surplus Hewitt frame is worth more to you than the re-sale value.

If it's stripped down to just the frame, and it's a nice one, an option is to store it by artistically mounting it on a wall indoors.
It's out of harms way, and will be functional as a conversation piece :D

Otherwise declutter; sell it for what you can get, but only you can decide what's best...
Ash28

Post by Ash28 »

I sold a Mercian frame and put the money towards a Tricross, I know, idiot. Didn’t like the Tricross so I stripped it down sold the frame and put the bits on Surly Pacer frame. Guess what, didn’t like the Pacer, sold the frame. Wish I’d kept the Mercian.
The Only Cyclist In The Village
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

If it's not being used and it's under your feet sell it.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

PH wrote:

I'm emotionally attached to all of my bikes. :oops:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom