What tyres for.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: What tyres for.....

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Grarea wrote:
Mick F wrote: . . . . . my quest to ride all the roads in Cornwall. . . . . .

Oh no, why did you say that?
That thought had never crossed my mind.

How do you log them?

He has a map that is nicely coloured in...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
mjr

Post by mjr »

Grarea wrote:

How do you log them?

Request the full list of A, B, C and U roads from the county council and then add any Highways England A roads to the list. Put it in a spreadsheet. Tick them off when done or note the extent ridden so far. Combine frequently with wondering what you're doing :)
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:....staying in and watching daytime tv cos you just cant motivate your self to go out for a ride? :|

Well you don't want anything that'll give out on a bend.

You don't want slippers!

I'll get me coat
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Si wrote:....staying in and watching daytime tv cos you just cant motivate your self to go out for a ride? :|

Try a pair of shoes! Have to admit the attraction of the daily ride, run, gym and/or pool session vanished for me last Saturday, for reasons unknown :(

I've no TV, so no daytime TV to descend into. Instead internet browsing and too many cakes! Putting on a pair of boots and an idle 10-30 miles a day on foot since Saturday and I was finally back on the bike yesterday. Even heading down the gym now, after an hour off the bike for a late lunch!

Of course, having immediate walking access to 20-30 miles of beach, the moors, a couple of dozen castles and a roman road over the moor to take a short cut back home for lunch does help. And noting the red squirrel running across the road in front of me and the odd hawk hovering above..........
Si

Post by Si »

Of course, having immediate walking access to 20-30 miles of beach, the moors, a couple of dozen castles and a roman road over the moor to take a short cut back home for lunch does help. And noting the red squirrel running across the road in front of me and the odd hawk hovering above..........

Now you are really making me feel depressed and jealous!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

mjr wrote:
Grarea wrote:

How do you log them?

Request the full list of A, B, C and U roads from the county council and then add any Highways England A roads to the list. Put it in a spreadsheet. Tick them off when done or note the extent ridden so far. Combine frequently with wondering what you're doing :)
That was my very first thought some years ago.

I telephoned Cornwall County Council Highways and spoke to a very well informed chap, who understood exactly what I was trying to do. Trouble is, the lists that have don't mean anything to what I want to do as they aren't geographical and the C class roads plus the unclassified ones can't be found on the normal road maps. Too much cross-referencing would be involved.

The info I could get wouldn't lend itself to creating interesting and sight-seeing rides. Most of the pleasure of this quest is involved in the DIY planning and the recording.

-------------------------------------------------------------

My ride yesterday came out at 60.48miles but with only 4,830ft of climbing .................. but I was still tired!
60odd miles of a drive each way was involved as well, it made for a long day. Three hours of driving, plus going on six hours of cycling.

Here's my route:
Screen Shot 2017-10-06 at 15.03.01.png
I left Camborne and went SW to Marazion via St Hilary, then turned north towards St Ives, then east to Hayle. From there carried on eastwards then north towards the coast, then south back towards Camborne and anticlockwise round Stithians reservoir and up to Scorrier, then back along the Old A30 through Redruth back to Camborne. I'd parked the car in the long-stay carpark for £2.50 for 24hrs, so it was cheap enough.

I think that I'll have to take a trip there again sometime to get more new roads in, and maybe one more.
I'm really scraping the barrel now, and driving three hours there and back may not be worth the effort to bag a few more short lengths of roads. I'll give it a month or two - or more - before I go that way again.
Mick F. Cornwall
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Si wrote:

Me too!

gbnz
Where do you live?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

reohn2 wrote:
Si wrote:

Me too!

gbnz
Where do you live?

Alnwick area, Northumberland. Too windy for the road yesterday, so had a 20 odd mile walk down the river, along the coast, passed a couple of castles, came back over the moor. Huge number of hares about in the fields before the moor and a late summer explosion in the number of red admirals.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Late summer?
You could argue that very early September is still "late summer", but early to mid October isn't at all.
It's autumn now, and well into it.
Mick F. Cornwall
gbnz

Post by gbnz »

Mick F wrote:Late summer?
You could argue that very early September is still "late summer", but early to mid October isn't at all.
It's autumn now, and well into it.

Depends if you want to determine autumn by the calender or via fact. It's still warm enough that there's been a huge explosion in butterflies, it's only yesterday I came close to a bumblebee flying into my mouth, hollyhocks and marigolds still in flower, windows of the house wide open as it's too warm, shorts still the preferred attire on the bike and on foot.

I suppose the elderly may be feeling the cold, but I've no doubt they were back in August and July!
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Autumn is called Fall in the USA.
I wonder why?

Autumn is when the fruits are ripe or even rotten, and the leaves turn and fall. The crops are in, and the wildlife is stalking out its winter territory. The swallows have flown south. The Autumn Equinox has been and gone.

Nowt to do with temperature.
It was dammed cold here and sunny on Friday, but mild and wet yesterday.
Mick F. Cornwall
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

reohn2 wrote:Me too!

gbnz
Where do you live?

Don't be envious as the duke of northumberland, the government and local council are doing their best to ruin the quality of life by a huge house building exercise :( . It's the knock on effect of 1.5-2 cars per each of those built houses on road use that is a concern.

There are still lots of quiet roads but reaching them is where I see the increase in traffic over past 15yrs( the a's and b roads ). A number of locals have indicated similar. But increasing the population of a smallish town by a factor of 2 isn't going to help. The public's opinion gets ignored. R2 you would enjoy the planning meeting minutes where it is evidently clear that one major builder used money advances to get the go ahead for their development. But in the best interests of the community :lol: . Also the duke of northumberland never builds a large housing estate in the grounds of his castle where they would sell like hot cakes.

We are overpopulated and that is even spreading to quiet areas like this one. It's too late now but we should never have let our population levels get out of control beyond say 20 million for england.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

There are vast tracts of Scotland with almost zero population and good access roads too. :wink:
Mick F. Cornwall