Hungarian Salami at Lidls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Heltor Chasca

Hungarian Salami at Lidls

Post by Heltor Chasca »

Spinners wrote:"A little bit of what you fancy does you good" Marie Lloyd.

Hmm. Yes, but I’m sure you know and understand the meaning of moderation and value your health.

I was at swimming lessons with 8YOD earlier this week and was eavesdropping on a conversation being led by an enormous woman. Ok obese. She was telling her friends how she eats and drinks anything she wants to excess. “Life’s too short innit? So long as I don’t get morbidly obese I’m not bovered am I?”

She speaks for 64% of our overweight nation.

Sorry OP: Salami and polony? Nope. The devil’s meat porridge.
661-Pete

Re: Hungarian Salami at Lidls

Post by 661-Pete »

One thing is certain (it's a sort of analogy of Godwin's Law): whenever anyone posts a heads-up about sausages - or indeed any kind of meat product - the thread'll turn into a veggie-vs-carnivore debate before you can say "George Monbiot"......

Where do I sit? Comfortably on the fence, if you please! I'm a peskie, though we actually indulge in fish only three or four times a week: twice as a main evening meal, and once or twice as a lunchtime snack (e.g. smoked salmon or mackerel).

Talking of the esteemed Mr Monbiot (whom every populist loves to deride - isn't he a marvellous target!) - he's often on the wrong track but his articles on the meat industry are worth taking note of - agree or violently disagree - it's your choice!

Let Mercurio enjoy his cheapo salami (neigh!) if he really must - it'll go well with those tesco burgers from a few years back! No-one's going to turn the entire Western world veggie overnight, but I'd really like more people to regard meat as a luxury food - if they can't forsake the steak, chop or drumstick altogether, at least indulge only twice or three times a week (cf. our above-mentioned pattern for fish). To do that you'll have to try out and learn to enjoy a variety of meat-free meals. It ain't hard!

I should point out that many (but not all) of our veggie dishes are also vegan-friendly. For those who think vegan food is boring - think again! But I wouldn't go vegan altogether. At least - not at the present time.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Heltor Chasca wrote:“Life’s too short innit? So long as I don’t get morbidly obese I’m not bovered am I?”
If her BMI is over 40 (and judging by your description, it is), she already is 'morbidly obese' as defined by the Medical profession. Sadly, she's one of many...
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
Paulatic wrote:
al_yrpal wrote:R2, do you like black pudding, tripe etc I believe they are popular in your part of England? Rocket fuel... :D

Al

Ahem , excuse me , black pudding is also an award winning item in Scotland too. If you are looking for stereotypes you’ll be a Jellied eel man are you?

Paulatic, on my tours of the Hebrides I discovered that the islanders make Britains best black pudding at Stornaway, excellent stuff with oats etc. As for our friend R2 the tough Lancashire miner, I am surprised! Brought up in a cockney family I was reared on herring, mackerel, shrimps, whelks, winkles, bloaters and kippers, all cheap food back in the 40s and 50s. Salami is air cured pork with a great shelf life without refrigeration. Jellied eels from Isaacs eel stall at the end of peticoat lane were a sunday morning treat for me. After my upbringing I will eat almost anything. Not keen on Chinese sea slugs though...

Al

Not into stereotypes are you Al :wink:
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

reohn2 wrote:Not into stereotypes are you Al :wink:

Lancashire hotpot then? :lol: That would be stereotyping!

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I only posted this thread as atleast at my Lidls the Hungarian Salami is not a permanent offer just once or twice a year & with such things I only saw it by accident, last time was either last year or early this year. Everytime I went there I looked in the Salami section to see if any had come in ( sad so and so aint I ) ( I understand it is some places called Winter Salami as its process required cold air ) My local Sainsburys used to sell it a VERY long time ago and I really missed it there as it was the only salami worth getting, being juicey and chewey, didnt cost too much either, it seems to have become a caviar of salami beyond my pocket to afford. Lidl's £3 for 400grms works out at 75p/100grms - for that at Sainsburys you can only get luncheon meat :cry: :roll:

I thought there might be others here.........
Last edited by mercalia on 5 Oct 2017, 9:19pm, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

mercalia wrote:I only posted this thread as atleast at my Lidls the Hungarian Salami is not a permanent offer.....
No probs with your posting a heads-up, merc, post as many as you like (in amongst all your other threads! :wink: ). As it happens, this would be more of interest to my son, because (a) he's a meat-eater, and likes things like chorizo, and (b) he's always on the lookout for a bargain.

Speaking for myself, I find Lidl good for many things, although, as a discounter, their range is a bit limited and it can be a long queue at the checkout. Their veg and salad can be especially good - and they often do better (and cheaper) avocados than either Waitrose or Tesco.

There. That's my heads-up done and dusted....
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:
reohn2 wrote:Not into stereotypes are you Al :wink:

Lancashire hotpot then? :lol: That would be stereotyping!

Al

Well it beats Bakewell tart,and Yorkshire pudding,not to mention Haggis and Faggots :?

PS,and waddabout a double helping of Welsh rarebit,whilst using the keyboard?
Now that's proper stereotyping :shock:
W H Auden
Spinners

Post by Spinners »

Heltor Chasca wrote:
Spinners wrote:"A little bit of what you fancy does you good" Marie Lloyd.

Hmm. Yes, but I’m sure you know and understand the meaning of moderation and value your health.

Yes. The keywords are "a little bit" :wink: .
Cycling UK Life Member
PBP Ancien (2007)
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:If you are looking for stereotypes you’ll be a Jellied eel man are you?

I understand the label on the Hungarian Salami says "My hovercraft is full of eels", presumably jellied ones :wink: .
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Went to a lovely "vintage tearoom" last week (up R2's way) and one of the sarnies on offer was Spam and chutney.
I opted for the egg mayonnaise as I don't like chutney. :lol:
fausto.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:
Paulatic wrote:If you are looking for stereotypes you’ll be a Jellied eel man are you?

I understand the label on the Hungarian Salami says "My hovercraft is full of eels", presumably jellied ones :wink: .

I must be dim as I dont get it :?:
Paulatic

Post by Paulatic »

mercalia wrote:
gaz wrote:

I must be dim as I dont get it :?:

Monty Python :)
http://www.omniglot.com/language/phrases/hovercraft.htm
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
al_yrpal

Post by al_yrpal »

Can you still get Spam up north, well I never?! :shock:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

al_yrpal wrote:Can you still get Spam up north, well I never?! :shock:

Al

Yep,I have a special folder for it :wink:
W H Auden