Balls

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Re: Balls

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
Well said.
Mick F. Cornwall
colin54

Post by colin54 »

Maybe you get a chain ,pedals and a saddle once you pay the deposit.

http://www.followthebrownsigns.com/cycle-hire/
Nu-Fogey
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

I was inclined to think this whole business, including the video, was just "a bit of a larf" - as I suppose most people assume! And I was about to say, chill out folks, it's only a bit of fun!

But I followed the link shown on the video, and indeed, there really is a petition lodged - unless someone has managed to hack the petition.parliament.uk website and put up a spoof.

So my reasoning now is, why waste the time of our lawmakers on this nonsense? Haven't they got enough on their plate?
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

Well said! My sentiments precisely put.

At least the level of signatures only warrant the acknowledgment letter / email. 10k isn't enough to get much attention or any time from the lawmakers. It'll be the functionaries in the Civil service, and low down ones at that, who will reply I bet.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Balls.

I bought a new wheelbarrow yesterday.
It's a ball barrow as invented by Mr Dyson back in 1974.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ballbarrow
Mick F. Cornwall
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You know, we were walking in some nearby woods yesterday and remarked on the number of dogs about - the area's a favourite for dog walkers, including some professional Dog Walkers (you can tell them apart for having six or seven dogs, all different breeds and all uncontrollable...)

I'm certainly not as anti-dog as some people - except of course when they have a go at me on the bike, at speed :evil: . But this always sets me pondering once again - should the dog licence be reinstated? And should there be differential rates, depending on whether the dog is neutered or not?

Now why did this thread remind me of that? :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

7/6 was the dog licence price. Turned into 37.5p when we went decimal.
Can't remember when it was stopped, but it was well after we were married (1973) as we had a licence for our first dog and it was renewed a few of times ............ if my memory serves me correctly.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dog_licence
Just looked it up.
We had two dogs and lived in Cornwall by the time it was abolished.
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Mick F wrote:The man isn't moving a pile of earth, he's opening an umbrella.road-works.jpg

Ah, yes - that's what they meant. They couldn't possibly have designed a sign that you are wilfully misreading...

The point of the petition is not to waste money - it's not to get a debate in parliament (which is only 'considered' in the event of large numbers of signatures, it's never guaranteed). A low level public servant, or two, could correct the diagram in the relevant documentation in a couple of hours.

Is it the most important problem facing the UK at the moment, no. But then there was a murder in London last week, so we'll not be investigating any road traffic incidents...

It's not as if the geometry hasn't been changed in the past (although I'd guess that the more recent changes are more marketing driven than football driven)
[youtube]cwWBpjeyRS0[/youtube]
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Update on the OP story.

It appears that the Government have, in their wisdom, decided to disregard Euler characteristics altogether, and stick with the all-hexagon ball.... :)

No matter.

But this sets me wondering about the other brown-and-white road signs depicted in the article. The esteemed Mr Parker says that they are all OK.

But are they? Look at the 'elephant' sign, presumably giving directions to a zoo. Now, I don't know my elephants all to well, but the head of that creature is clearly that of an Asian elephant, Elephas maximus, whereas the body and legs look to me more like those of an African elephant (Loxodonta africana or L. cyclotis). An impossible beast - clearly it needs to be changed pronto! :lol:

And what about the knife-and-fork sign pointing to a restaurant? The prongs of the fork are far too far apart - compare them with the length of the knife blade! Try to eat with one of those, likely you'll impale your cheeks. A public danger - must be changed at once!

And that yacht looks highly suspect to me. Not being a sailing man, I can't vouch for it knowledgeably.

Who's going to fire off the petitions then? :mrgreen:
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

You are welcome to fire off those petitions...

I note that the gubbinment has confirmed that they can’t read...
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
softlips

Post by softlips »

Tangled Metal wrote:It's football. Meh!

Agreed.