Anxiety?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
al_yrpal

Anxiety?

Post by al_yrpal »

This article was in The Times at the weekend, but thats behind a paywall.

Waiting all day for online deliveries and forgetting passwords are the worst “first-world” problems faced by millennial Britons, a survey has found.

Researchers said that one in three of those questioned complained of avocado anxiety — a terror of the fruit not being ripe.

A third of Londoners were concerned there might be another prosecco shortage after supply problems last year. This was almost twice the proportion of those elsewhere in the country.

Researchers working with a behavioural psychologist from Goldsmiths, University of London, compared the biggest “first-world” or trivial worries reported today with those faced by people now aged 50 or over two decades ago.

The 2000 people, aged from 18 to 70, said that they were most worried about tech­nology-related problems such as all-day time slots for deliveries, the difficulty of remembering dozens of passwords and fears about leaving their phone at home or not getting enough “likes” on Instagram.

In contrast, respondents said that in 1997 their worries involved having a happy relationship, earning enough to pay the bills and getting on the housing ladder.

It seems that over the last 20 years our anxieties have changed....Do you stress over mushy avocados and the threat of a Prosecco shortage? :lol:

Al
Reuse, recycle, thus do your bit to save the planet.... Get stuff at auctions, Dump, Charity Shops, Facebook Marketplace, Ebay, Car Boots. Choose an Old House, and a Banger ..... And cycle as often as you can......
meic

Re: Anxiety?

Post by meic »

Researchers said that one in three of those questioned complained of avocado anxiety — a terror of the fruit not being ripe.

Having been subjected to a few such surveys I can not help but to think they were forced into saying such things by the restricted questions and three other even more ridiculous options on a multi-choice questionnaire.
Yma o Hyd
pwa

Post by pwa »

The forgetting passwords anxiety is easily addressed. Write them down in a notebook and put the book away where a burglar will be unlikely to recognise it as valuable. I write mine down as soon as I've set them. And there are so many books and notebooks around the house that the chances of someone finding the correct one quickly are small. Even if they know to look for it.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

meic wrote:

Having been subjected to a few such surveys I can not help but to think they were forced into saying such things by the restricted questions and three other even more ridiculous options on a multi-choice questionnaire.

I've had some rude words a few times for surveys like that. A few years ago, I had a conversation with a survey taker that went something like this:

'Do you feel that your bank cares for you as a customer?' (beginning multiple choice answers)
'My bank is an institution, incapable of caring for me'
'a) yes, b) no, or c) neither yes or no'
'If you won't write in what I just said, I'm done with this survey'
'c) neither yes or no'
'that should be nor instead of or, but it's not my answer'
''Do you feel that your bank wants your business?' (beginning multiple choice answers)
'I really don't feel there's any point in this'
'a) yes, b) no, or c) netiher yes or no'
'Better luck with your next victim.'
'Ma'am can you please answer the question?'
'Yours may be different, but my bank is an institution, incapable of the feeling you have ascribed to it.'
'Thank you for your time, ma'am. Have a nice day.'

I kind of felt sorry for her, but the survey.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

al_yrpal wrote:This article was in The Times at the weekend, but thats behind a paywall.
Seeing the content, perhaps it's just as well this is behind the paywall.... :twisted:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

pwa wrote:The forgetting passwords anxiety is easily addressed. Write them down in a notebook and put the book away where a burglar will be unlikely to recognise it as valuable. I write mine down as soon as I've set them. And there are so many books and notebooks around the house that the chances of someone finding the correct one quickly are small. Even if they know to look for it.
My neighbour, who just tiptoed by wearing a stripy jersey and with a bulky sack slung over his shoulder, whispered "thanks for the tip". :lol:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

pwa wrote:The forgetting passwords anxiety is easily addressed. Write them down in a notebook and put the book away where a burglar will be unlikely to recognise it as valuable. I write mine down as soon as I've set them. And there are so many books and notebooks around the house that the chances of someone finding the correct one quickly are small. Even if they know to look for it.

Password manager.

Makes it easy to set obscure passwords, accessible from anywhere.
Too many little shopping sites with passwords to be bothered writing them all down.
Throw in two step verification on the important stuff and it's massively more secure than pretty much anything.

Another thing of importance to me; my other half can request access to all my passwords. If I don't deny that access within a couple of hours then she's given them.
Having seen the pain some folk have gone through to get access to their partners online stuff after they've shuffled off the mortal coil, this can only be a good thing.

Plus you don't lose them all in a house fire... ;)
pwa

Post by pwa »

661-Pete wrote:
My neighbour, who just tiptoed by wearing a stripy jersey and with a bulky sack slung over his shoulder, whispered "thanks for the tip". :lol:

Notice how I didn't say exactly where I put the notebook. :lol:
Even if I told you which room it is in you would take a while to find it, and the passwords are only one of the things in it so you might easily miss it even if you had it in your hand.

(I'm stuffed if the house burns down though)
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

One of my more minor anxieties is surveys that don't ask the questions I want to answer; I get round that by not doing surveys. :roll:
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

al_yrpal wrote:......
Researchers working with a behavioural psychologist from Goldsmiths, University of London, compared the biggest “first-world” or trivial worries reported today with those faced by people now aged 50 or over two decades ago.

What exactly is this "research". Is it peer reviewed and published in a reputable journal or is it some Masters research project done on SuveyMonkey. You see some such "research" pushed on here sometimes - a student joins (gets permission) and "I'd doing a project/research on cycling in town centres ..." and you do the survey and it's the most ludicrous set of questions imaginable demonstrating little more than the "researcher" does not understand cycling/cyclists/town centres. And the thread here becomes loads of comments about how you cannot answer if you e.g. cycle for both leisure AND commute, or if you have/use both a road bike AND an MTB, etc.

I'm often sceptical of "research" without knowing the true nature of that research.

Ian
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Vorpal wrote:
meic wrote:

I've had some rude words a few times for surveys like that. A few years ago, I had a conversation with a survey taker that went something like this:

'Do you feel that your bank cares for you as a customer?' (beginning multiple choice answers)
'My bank is an institution, incapable of caring for me'
'a) yes, b) no, or c) neither yes or no'
'If you won't write in what I just said, I'm done with this survey'
'c) neither yes or no'
'that should be nor instead of or, but it's not my answer'
''Do you feel that your bank wants your business?' (beginning multiple choice answers)
'I really don't feel there's any point in this'
'a) yes, b) no, or c) netiher yes or no'
'Better luck with your next victim.'
'Ma'am can you please answer the question?'
'Yours may be different, but my bank is an institution, incapable of the feeling you have ascribed to it.'
'Thank you for your time, ma'am. Have a nice day.'

I kind of felt sorry for her, but the survey.... :lol: :lol: :lol:

I have done the "how are you going to correct your sampling if I don't answer?"
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Sounds like news paper speak. If you reporting even thinking an avocado might not be ripe, it's blown up to be a terror or under-ripe fruit. In reality it's just a reluctance to order them online as part of a weekly delivery shop.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

I was accosted on the street by someone with a clipboard once, and having got to the bottom of the page of questions I must have passed the test, because I got invited into the community hall to taste-test some new energy bars. After a mouthful of the first one I was asked to rate it for chewiness, crunchiness, fruitiness, nuttiness, sweetness, saltiness, yumminess, loveliness, deliciousness................

After we had been through every ness in the dictionary, she handed me another bar and the whole process started all over again. Then again. And again. By the time I'd done about half a dozen bars I was losing the will to live.
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
DontheMan

Post by DontheMan »

I would recommend this course for anxiety and depression. I attend it, it is very good.

https://mhfaengland.org/
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

I had a survey over the phone from my one time power supplier. They did something that others may do but I felt biased the survey to look better for them in a couple of ways. One was the questions asked which didn't target the major issues of complaint with the company. But the other I didn't like was that for the first 5 questions or so the scale to answer was 1 to 10, i.e how do you rate your electricity supply 1 poor to 10 excellent, 5 neither here nor there. Then after those the scale changed to 1 to 7, so your brain is fixed in at 1 to 10 but now we've shifted to 1 to 7. The questions changed at that point to ones they'd like more favourable responses and I felt that scale change would bias many response to do so. I.e responding 5 as in previous questions.