plague of slugs

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
SilverBadge

Re: plague of slugs

Post by SilverBadge »

ferrit worrier wrote:Well not quite a plague. over the last couple of months we've had an influx of slugs in the house :oops: :evil: absolutely no idea how they get in.

I think they are leopard slugs as opposed to the big fat brown ones.
Any ideas anyone
I've had some make their way in via the sink overflow. Guess that tells me I don't do the washing up frequently enough :oops: Will stick a piece of metal gauze at one end or other to prevent it in future.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

We've had a few on the decking just outside the back door this time.
I tend too walk around barefoot unless it's really cold,so stepping out onto the deck to put something in the bin has been interesting a couple of times this summer :? .They're quite slippery when you stand on them :shock: ,and when you've just had yer hip joint replaced it can be a bit of a concern,so I've taken to looking before I leap :)
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
LollyKat

Post by LollyKat »

pete75 wrote:
LollyKat wrote:We occasionally get them in the house. I have seen them squeeze under the backdoor, and we once found one in the mousetrap - nasty!

What bait were you using?

Peanut butter :D
axel_knutt

Post by axel_knutt »

Tangled Metal wrote:Riding over a big slug isn't nice.

About 15 years ago, I was riding along the A30 near Lands End early one morning and the road was covered with a carpet of slugs, thousands upon countless thousands of them. Yuk!
“I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.”
― Friedrich Nietzsche
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

I have quite a few that like to climb on my m/c cover. Horrible creatures, what place do they have in the ecosystem? like foxes and deer are just vermin
Heltor Chasca

Post by Heltor Chasca »

I’m wondering if some eggs have been brought in on the bottom of a pot, boot etc. Even in some compost if you’ve had your houseplants outside in the warmer weather.

I have a militia of chickens you could borrow for a while. They’ll be delighted to help. Not house trained.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:I have quite a few that like to climb on my m/c cover. Horrible creatures, what place do they have in the ecosystem? like foxes and deer are just vermin

Which begs the question what role do humans play in the ecosystem?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Are you certain they are not living in house? Behind the washing machine or something and coming out in the night?

It might be worth laying salt around where you've seen them. Or getting a pet-friendly slug trap?
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:I have quite a few that like to climb on my m/c cover. Horrible creatures, what place do they have in the ecosystem? like foxes and deer are just vermin

They break down rotting plant matter & help it turn back into soil and nutrition for other plants. Also they feed the birds.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

ferrit worrier wrote:Well not quite a plague. over the last couple of months we've had an influx of slugs in the house :oops: :evil: absolutely no idea how they get in. If I come down early morning about 6.30 there have been a couple on the floor in the kitchen. they only seem to concentrate on one area near the washing machine and tumble dryer. This morning I came down no sign of them, it's not every day we get them perhaps twice a week tops. But them as I went to use the bread board I spotted the silvery trails across it. It's driving Mrs FW and me daft, I've been round the outside of the kitchen with sand and salt against the wall slug pellets etc. there has been the odd occasion where I've seen the trails on the carpet but they don't lead anywhere??? just a circle of silvery trail, eh, no way in no way out. I had thought of leaving some beer out in a dish but then we might end up with two "rat legged" cats :lol:

I think they are leopard slugs as opposed to the big fat brown ones.
Any ideas anyone

We had this problem a while ago, and couldn't figure out how they were getting in. The problem was happening in the warm damp weather. Then I realised a few months earlier - during the Winter - we had had an attempted burglary and had to have the patio doors replaced. Looked carefully under the patio doorframe and saw that the installers had left a gap! So I sealed it all up with expandite foam, had had no more problems. They were getting in there I think, then behind the dry lining and through a gap in the skirting.

In the meantime had tried all sorts of things (mainly from mumsnet if I recollect) including leaving lights on etc, putting lines of salt everywhere around the outside of the building, trying to remove anything that could attract them (even traces left on the worktop from putting donw a cabbage leaf then pick it up will left a scent behind!) and so on. Not much fun coming down in the morning to find a big fat slug sitting on your worktop.
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

Probably not much use in a house, but I keep them off my (raised) veg plots by running a couple of wires 5mm apart and hooking them up to a 9v battery.
Works a treat, they don't like crossing the wires...

(Only trouble is when it rains the battery slowly depletes so I only get 5 or 6 months and you have to be on the ball replacing it.
Trying to find something that stops the water breaching the wires. Perhaps a PTFE backing or something)
geocycle

Post by geocycle »

Slugs are a nuisance for us as well. Old house with cold damp tile floors. I have managed to stem the flow recently by replacing the rotten door sill although I expect them to come via another route. Slugs did once do us a favour. As a baby my son used to wake up in the night wanting milk so I'd be dispatched to the kitchen to do the deed. One night I stood on enormous slug which was the final straw for me. So I went on strike and the boy stopped waking up!
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Vorpal wrote:

They break down rotting plant matter & help it turn back into soil and nutrition for other plants. Also they feed the birds.

glad I am not a bird :?
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

mercalia wrote:
Vorpal wrote:

glad I am not a bird :?

If you were, I'm sure that you would think a slug was a tasty treat :mrgreen:
meic

Post by meic »

My local birds seem to have a lack of taste or are just too stuffed to eat another thing, they certainly dont keep on top of the slug population.
Yma o Hyd