The day began like any other.....

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

The day began like any other.....

Post by reohn2 »

....when the bright burning light of my rather dull life,reminded me of the pull out baskets I'd promised to fit in the cupboard in the caravan, I found myself agreeing(somewhat reluctantly)to a trip out.

After a short drive and a walk across a rather large and somewhat full carpark that took almost as long as the drive,we entered and as we wandered along the aisles following the arrows on the floor,that switched first left then right then left again.I noticed the other people had a sort of resigned and expressionless look to their faces,even the children seemed quiet and withdrawn with their arms hanging limp by their sides,after a while I also noticed there was no natural light in this place and I saw a pair of double doors with a pushbar opener which said 'fire exit' on them in red letters.
I thought I could hear traffic sounds and peered through a chink in the join between the doors to view traffic whizzing past,hmm M62 or is it some other M number I pondered and became more unsure the more I thought about it.
I turned away back to where we were and focused determinedly on baskets.
Sometime later following the arrows with other expressionless consumers I suddenly noticed that if I were to pass directly over one of the arrows on the floor it disapeared,strange I thought and it took me a minute or two to realise they were projected from vignetted spot light above my head.
Rather disturbingly at this moment a song came to mind
Round
Like a circle in a spiral
Like a wheel within a wheel
Never ending or beginning
On an ever-spinning reel
Like a snowball down a mountain
Or a carnival balloon
Like a carousel that's turning
Running rings around the moon.......

Though nothing seemed to be.
I found myself looking at dining tables and sideboards,then suddenly found myself saying "that's real veneer",I then questioned this statement to myself :?
We came to bedrooms and I began idly opening and closing doors and drawers,gently,to feel their action,it became apparent others watched as did this and then did the same as I moved on to the next display.
Quite by chance I opened a wardrobe door and exclaimed to Mrs R2,who seemed to be standing a few feet away with a far off look in her eyes,in a voice which I feared was a few decibels too high for this cathedral of consumerism,"l've found them",I said,which rather surprised me as much as it did her,people looked around in surprise and short lived delight,before resuming their wanderings and touching the goods on display.
The items we were looking for had labels that instructed where to go to collect them,I rather cynically thought,though kept it to myself,that it would our luck if they were out of stock,a pang of anxiety shot through me,for if they were out of stock we would have come again!
We resumed the directing arrows in anticipation,though unable to resist looking,touching and feeling the goods on display.
On the way I felt at a plant,but it was plastic,there was a whole area given over to crockery and glassware,I picked up a pint glass,plastic,litter bin,plastic again,I felt a another pang this time of dispair.....
Finally we found the warehouse area,looked for the correct aisle and shelf number and was delighted to find our goods in stock,202.463.60 aisle 31 loc 1 and 102.573.45 aisle 30 loc 16 both Komplement.
We took our goods to the checkout where I paid with plastic,and the nice lady who served us asked "glad to be out?." I rather too enthusiatically replied "yes" though resisted hugging her as I didn't think it was appropriate in the circumstances,even though I could actually see daylight over her left shoulder through the swing doors,and beyond it the car park.

On the drive home a thought cross my mind:- IKEA,IKEA sort of gives me diarrhoea.....
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Oct 2017, 6:39pm, edited 1 time in total.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Paulatic

Re: The day began like any other.....

Post by Paulatic »

I braved the place a second time and discovered all the little hidden gaps in the facades. It’s like a game of snakes and ladders I went up the snakes. Success, we’d time for meatballs :lol:
Whatever I am, wherever I am, this is me. This is my life

https://stcleve.wordpress.com/category/lejog/
E2E info
meic

Post by meic »

IKEA involves a hundred and fifty mile drive for us!
So I am saved from that particular experience. My friends make a family day trip (or even weekend) out of it.
Yma o Hyd
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

meic wrote:IKEA involves a hundred and fifty mile drive for us!
So I am saved from that particular experience......

Even Welsh people have some luck!
Last edited by reohn2 on 23 Oct 2017, 7:02pm, edited 4 times in total.
W H Auden
gaz

Post by gaz »

Paulatic wrote:It’s like a game of snakes and ladders

Combine those words and you get Sladda.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Redesigned the wardrobe in the camper and we have slide out plastic boxes, it works fine.
Don't get me wrong I like wood best.
For several years I have been pulling home second hand furniture and refurbish for my own use.
Modern furniture brings on a cold sweat.............
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

gaz wrote:
Paulatic wrote:It’s like a game of snakes and ladders

Combine those words and you get Sladda.

Posted like a true aficionado :shock:
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

They have opened one in Sheffield.
Previously i was safe.
Nottingham or Bradford ... too far !
But now ..... Sheffield.
An arrangement has been made.
Drive to IKEA, park.
Pass TFJ my debit card.
TFJ goes into IKEA, i take the bike off roof and cycle away.
In 2 hours i return, call TFJ, and assist her with putting "IKEA Stuff" into car.
Attach bike to car and drive home.
"You stink" says TFJ, " Yes, i do", i smile ....she also smiles, holding her nose in a comedy pose.
This is a very similar arrangement to our "The Range" visits.
Works for us.. :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

The Irish are always lucky.
W H Auden
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

reohn2 wrote:The Irish are always lucky.

:lol:

British, i'll have you know .... :D
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Do you still have to 'follow the yellow brick road'? Or orange painted stripe, or whatever? Can't recall exactly, long time since I've darkened their doors....

The Croydon branch (our nearest) is built on the site of a former, defunct, gas-works. I remember the gas-works back in bygone years, and the none-too-pleasant aroma thereof. Says it all, perhaps... :roll:
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

If you ever manage to hack into the dark web, there are maps showing secret shortcuts in every IKEA store. Posting links would be more than my life's worth, so you'll have to figure it out yourself.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think that you were in an episode of the Truman Show.
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Bonefishblues wrote:I think that you were in an episode of the Truman Show.

That's what worried me most,to think of all those people eating popcorn and laughing at the projected arrow on my head as I look around wondering where it went :?
W H Auden
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Paulatic wrote:I braved the place a second time and discovered all the little hidden gaps in the facades. It’s like a game of snakes and ladders I went up the snakes. Success, we’d time for meatballs :lol:

We're vegetarian :(
W H Auden