Expanded Polystyrene

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Mick F
Spambuster

Expanded Polystyrene

Post by Mick F »

Just had one of my fortnightly injections.
The pens arrive by courier every three months in a polystyrene box with ice blocks.
The ice blocks are cheap plastic bottles of frozen water and can be recycled easily with other plastic bottles.

What about the polystyrene box?
It's a very nicely made lidded box 14" x 14" x 12" and from what I've found out, our recycling centres don't want polystyrene and it goes into landfill.
The courier won't take the empties back.

We can re-use one or two for something or other, and we have a friend who want's one, but I'm taking delivery of these boxes every three months .......... four a year for the rest of my life!

What can I do with these things?
Mick F. Cornwall
[XAP]Bob

Re: Expanded Polystyrene

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Polystyrene is really easy to recycle, but it's so bulky that moving it around to do so is impractical.

Create some artwork? Make some comfy seats for mercian and moulton?
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

They come in handy for transporting tropical fish, keeping the water at a nice temperature between pet shop and home.
Have you got a shop nearby that might be grateful?

fausto.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

fausto copy wrote:They come in handy for transporting tropical fish, keeping the water at a nice temperature between pet shop and home.
Great idea!
It must be a good idea, coz Mrs Mick F likes it. :D

We're off into Tavistock later this morning, so we can call in at Ron's Pet Supplies with one to see if they can use them.
http://www.ronspets.co.uk
Mick F. Cornwall
NUKe

Post by NUKe »

we really need a like button on the forum .
Mick please keep us posted of the outcome
NUKe

Post by mercalia »

alternatively useful for transporting food that needs to be kept cool after visiting the shops? meat, ice cream?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yes, thought about that, but how many of the boxes do we need?
As it happens, the new system for my injections delivery has only just started, so we have one of these boxes, with another arriving in a couple of weeks. Three months later, we'll get another, then three months later, another one ............

I remember reading an article about a company who is making a cardboard version of "polystyrene" which is obviously fully and easily recyclable, and how this company is having problems getting firms to use it despite it's advantages.
Mick F. Cornwall
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

you could always store cycle things in them?
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Mick F wrote:
fausto copy wrote:They come in handy for transporting tropical fish, keeping the water at a nice temperature between pet shop and home.
Great idea!

We're off into Tavistock later this morning, so we can call in at Ron's Pet Supplies with one to see if they can use them.
We asked ........................

They have the same problem!
Their fish arrive from wholesale in polystyrene and when people buy the fish, they bring the boxes back!
They told us they have about 40 of them.
Mick F. Cornwall
mjr

Post by mjr »

Many years ago, I used to list boxes of polystyrene chips (saved up to fill one box from three or four deliveries) on freecycle and they always went - it was also an excuse to cycle to parts of the district that I rarely would otherwise. Eventually, the supplier who was using them switched to puffed corn starch chips which could be put dissolved in water and poured into the compose bin. So I'd list them on freecycle and also ask the supplier to switch to something easier to dispose of.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Mick F wrote:
Mick F wrote:
Great idea!

We asked ........................

They have the same problem!
Their fish arrive from wholesale in polystyrene and when people buy the fish, they bring the boxes back!
They told us they have about 40 of them.

:roll: :lol:
fausto copy

Post by fausto copy »

Another idea.......
store your leftover poppies in them. :wink:
Ray

Post by Ray »

You could paint one hi-viz orange and wear it on your head when cycling. Sure to save your life sooner or later.

igmc
Ray
The trouble with the world is that the stupid are cocksure and the intelligent are full of doubt - Bertrand Russell
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

Some people use polystyrene boxes to take frozen food home in (e.g. leave in boot of car and on moving purchases from supermarket trolley into car after shop, put the frozen stuff in a polystyrene box to keep it frozen for the drive home).

Ian
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

The boxes sound ideal for keeping fish at the right temperature before loading them onto your trebuchet and firing them into a lake ...... :wink:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.