Maths

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
profpointy

Re: Maths

Post by profpointy »

Couple of suggestions on the history of maths : Journey Through Genius, which has a chapter giving a flavour of the big breakthrough results over the last couple of thousand years. Quite a nice accessible book which might lead to further reading. Another nice book is the Millenium Problems - solve any of these and you'll win a million dollar prize ! The earlier ones are at least understandable problems (eg Fermat's last theorem) but the later problems are very exotic and you won't even understand the question but the narrative gives a flavour of what cutting edge maths is interested in. The equation that couldn't be solved is a nice historic narrative on solving the cubic equation ax^3 + bx^2 +cx and how it led to group theory, which is the core of modern algebra. And a bit more light hearted but still serious Professor Stewarts Mathematic Curiosities - on various more or less fun puzzles.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

I think we were forced to try to learn too much at school
Now decades later we are curious and motivated to learn
One wonders whether the school leaving age should be lowered, maybe to 14?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:I think we were forced to try to learn too much at school
Now decades later we are curious and motivated to learn
One wonders whether the school leaving age should be lowered, maybe to 14?

The approach to teaching should be changed, revolutionised, even.

The problem is that subjects are presented in a boring way, with a goal of getting kids to score well on standardized exams. There are many good teachers who can manage to engage kids, but quite a few of them are beat down by the system, by extreme risk aversion, and being paid or promoted according to how much they contribute to the school going up the league tables.

It is possible, with adequate staffing, and education for the teachers and support staff, to do what each child needs to get them engaged, and get the best out of them. But British (and many other school systems) are measured on test scores and how many people go to university.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
rmurphy195

Post by rmurphy195 »

Thanks for all the suggestions folks.

Definitely brain-cell fodder is needed, beyond that I simply don't know what I'll be interested in! Some good suggestions here, and maybe a re-visit of some o-level standard stuff is needed to get the brain in gear. The "Stuff you gt from school"looks interesting Cyril Haearn, and thanks for the reminder about BBC Bitesize hjd10 - I should have remembered this, it was a favourite when my children were younger.

Will look into these and the other suggestions you've made, and will give Birmingham Central Library a visit (used to go there a lot when I first retired, could pedal into town, meander round the library then pedal back in time to cook lunch - but the new opening time is about the time I used to start back, so haven't been frequenting the place!)

Thanks again - Richard
Brompton, Condor Heritage, creaky joints and thinning white (formerly grey) hair
""You know you're getting old when it's easier to ride a bike than to get on and off it" - quote from observant jogger !
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

Some Open University resources here https://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skills ... -maths.php

They are really rather good at getting people back up to speed.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
ThePinkOne

Post by ThePinkOne »

iandriver wrote:Some Open University resources here https://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skills ... -maths.php

Very much so.

I did the old "GCE A-level " maths some 30 years ago, and found it a challenge, to say the least. I am currently studying an OU Engineering course and doing maths modules as part of that. The material the OU provides is top-notch, explains things really well. I am enjoying it far more now than I did at school, I think partly because I can go at my own rate and make sure I get the concept before moving on to the next bit.

TPO.
drossall

Post by drossall »

It does move on rather. I remember my father, who was an engineer, having to bone up to help me with school maths at quite a young age - could even have been to do entrance exams. Then, in my turn, I found my kids at school doing stuff I'd never heard of.

It's the way that different things are relevant. In the computer age, binary mathematics (base 2) and set theory were the thing for me. Dad had never done that stuff. And so on.
iandriver

Post by iandriver »

ThePinkOne wrote:
iandriver wrote:Some Open University resources here https://www2.open.ac.uk/students/skills ... -maths.php

Very much so.

I did the old "GCE A-level " maths some 30 years ago, and found it a challenge, to say the least. I am currently studying an OU Engineering course and doing maths modules as part of that. The material the OU provides is top-notch, explains things really well. I am enjoying it far more now than I did at school, I think partly because I can go at my own rate and make sure I get the concept before moving on to the next bit.

TPO.

Nice to hear. I graduated from the OU 15 years ago having studied mathematics and computing. Life changing for me as my old engineering life had decided it preferred the climate in the Far East. Have worked in SW engineering ever since.
Supporter of the A10 corridor cycling campaign serving Royston to Cambridge http://a10corridorcycle.com. Never knew gardening secateurs were an essential part of the on bike tool kit until I took up campaigning.....
Abradable Chin

Post by Abradable Chin »

Maths is a vast subject, with many branches: it is possible to be clueless in one branch, but appear a genius in another. It is a shame that school curricula focus on a narrow view of accepted maths, and turning out millions of one trick ponies has become the norm.

Keith Devlin's books are worth a read if you want a taste of high level maths without the years of study. For example, the four colour theorem takes no training to understand. A demonstration that it is true has now been brute-forced by a computer, but it isn't impossible that a total ingenu could come up with an elegant proof.
I believe institutionalized education is now in crisis. It costs a fortune, wastes years of your life, is often poor quality, doesn't suit a lot of people, in some cases lowers your lifetime earnings, lowers satisfaction with life (if you don't get on), and, quite possibly, stifles thinking and creativity. Safe spaces, and trigger warnings are the last straw. If you are happy to self-teach, the internet is awash with resources.

The philosopher Ivan Illich wrote a critique of formal education, Deschooling Society saying that funneling information into someone's head will never work.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Many of us can work out gear ratios in our heads

I went on a walk with a group of *non-cyclists*, a mountain biker passed us, *looks like he is using an 18 inch gear!* I gasped

Later one of the other walkers and I got talking about cycling, back home I figured he had identified me when he heard my comment - careless talk :?:

18 inch gear is not for me, prefer a 59" fixed
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies