Politricks

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
reohn2

Politricks

Post by reohn2 »

Is the current state of UK politricks a classic example of why parliamentary FPTP politics is an abject disaster?
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Tangled Metal

Re: Politricks

Post by Tangled Metal »

No it's a classic example of why party politics, especially partisan two party politics, is an abject disaster. It won't be fixed by a new electoral system any time soon.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Can't remember if UK€P has one MP, or none at all, soon it will be forgotten I think

With PR in Germany the extreme AfD has nearly 100 seats! Mind, all the normal parties refuse to play with them as far as possible
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Tangled Metal

Post by Tangled Metal »

How long did the Netherlands take to form a government? What 255 days? Hmmm! Is that better?
jezer

Post by jezer »

PR must be the future aim. I believe the UK is virtually the only major democracy to still use FPTP.
Power to the pedals
mjr

Post by mjr »

Tangled Metal wrote:How long did the Netherlands take to form a government? What 255 days? Hmmm! Is that better?

Yes. The Netherlands government represents 49% of the electorate, as is typical for proportional governments, but compared to just 37% for the UK's. The government functions continued for the 255 days of negotiation - it's not like the country was in a coma for that time. Belgium has taken over 500 days to form a government in the recent past...
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Parliaments are far too big, the Bundestag has more than 700 highly paid members, each with their own staff. It should really have about 600 but PR and complicated *Verrechnungen* calculations derived from the result led to this

I think the nominal size of the Westminster parliament could be 500, then this is adjusted according to turnout:
Turnout: 60% - > 300 honourable (right-honourable) members

Not much chance at all for PR, who would vote for it?
barrym

Post by barrym »

I often wonder why we need 'representatives' in a parliament these days. With modern tech we should be able to vote on anything and everything right from our living room.

Now the last time we all(?) voted on something the result was highly dubious. But if we had a civil service that could put forward the issues, arguments, facts etc we could make informed decisions.

I know this is a very naïve idea, but the current system isn't too clever.

Slightly of topic is the nonsense surrounding the restoration of the palace of Westminster. We should sell it to Disney, and move all MPs, if we must keep them, into a purpose designed building if one doesn't already exist where voting could take place electronically and instantly rather than the ridiculous division mumbo jumbo of today, or should I say yesterday.

Regards
Cynic[emoji53]
--
Cheers
Barry
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What might be the result if The People were invited to vote on capital punishment?
barrym

Post by barrym »

Cyril Haearn wrote:What might be the result if The People were invited to vote on capital punishment?
They might surprise you. There's them that wouldn't bother to vote on anything, all the trendy liberals, a few ex BNP folk. Interesting, and representative?
--
Cheers
Barry
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Germany has gone beyond its 'absolute deadline' for a coalition agreement between the CDU/CSU, FDP and the Greens - new elections might be in the offing...
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

jezer wrote:PR must be the future aim. I believe the UK is virtually the only major democracy to still use FPTP.

The USA uses it. Some local authorities have some form of proportional representation and/or open election systems, but state and national elections are all FPTP.

The USA doesn't exactly set an ideal example for the rest of the world, when it comes to politics.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Ben@Forest wrote:Germany has gone beyond its 'absolute deadline' for a coalition agreement between the CDU/CSU, FDP and the Greens - new elections might be in the offing...

New elections would be very unwise, what if the result is exactly the same? That would be a real crisis

A minority government is possible

I think a Jamaica coalition will be formed, the pollotrickians are just maneuvering as they always do. Glad I do not have to negotiate for 15 hours %-)
Stevek76

Post by Stevek76 »

Tangled Metal wrote:No it's a classic example of why party politics, especially partisan two party politics, is an abject disaster. It won't be fixed by a new electoral system any time soon.

Any time soon? perhaps not.

But it will never move from a two party system with FPTP as it biases considerably against third+ parties.
The contents of this post, unless otherwise stated, are opinions of the author and may actually be complete codswallop
Ben@Forest

Post by Ben@Forest »

Vorpal wrote:
jezer wrote:PR must be the future aim. I believe the UK is virtually the only major democracy to still use FPTP.

The USA uses it. Some local authorities have some form of proportional representation and/or open election systems, but state and national elections are all FPTP

India, the world's largest democracy, uses FPTP.