low pass videos

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
[XAP]Bob

Re: low pass videos

Post by [XAP]Bob »

Psamathe wrote:Local gliding club you have to be really careful as tug aircraft come in to land. As they don't like taxiing back if they land too far down the runway (for next launch) they come in really low over the road across the end of one runway with the tow line thrashing about on of a few feet above the road. Lethal as many out for a quiet walk or cycle would not even be aware of the airfield. One horse rider has nearly been wiped-out. No signs put up or anything - I guess as it's not necessary as there is plenty of runway to allow the tug aircraft to fly over the road with more than enough height, it's just when they can't be bothered to taxi back!

If you are aware of the danger on that road you always note the wind direction (which runway they will be using) and if necessary keep an eye out upwind. If you are not aware ... good luck.

Difficulty is complaining to the gliding club is a complete waste of time and council wont have anything to do with it claiming it's a CAA (or some government body) responsibility.

Ian

But the CAA will take it VERY seriously.
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Psamathe wrote:Local gliding club you have to be really careful as tug aircraft come in to land. As they don't like taxiing back if they land too far down the runway (for next launch) they come in really low over the road across the end of one runway with the tow line thrashing about on of a few feet above the road. Lethal as many out for a quiet walk or cycle would not even be aware of the airfield. One horse rider has nearly been wiped-out. No signs put up or anything - I guess as it's not necessary as there is plenty of runway to allow the tug aircraft to fly over the road with more than enough height, it's just when they can't be bothered to taxi back!

If you are aware of the danger on that road you always note the wind direction (which runway they will be using) and if necessary keep an eye out upwind. If you are not aware ... good luck.

Difficulty is complaining to the gliding club is a complete waste of time and council wont have anything to do with it claiming it's a CAA (or some government body) responsibility.

Ian

I think the CAA would take it very seriously in the climate of the moment.

I drove past this a few minutes after the pilot had parked it...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article ... -hour.html
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Norman H wrote:I had another encounter some years later when I was cycling south down Glen Falloch on the A82 between Crianlarich and Ardlui. It's not the most cycle friendly road in Scotland so I was expecting the usual encounters with cars and coaches but I was totally unprepared for jet aircraft. It flew directly over me at what seemed like head height. The noise has to be experienced to be believed.

I used to fish on the Middle Severn and they used to come tearing down the valley not much over tree height. Absolutely terrifying for a then 8-9 year old.
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

[XAP]Bob wrote:

Ian

But the CAA will take it VERY seriously.

I don't know if people have gone through whatever process are necessary. I know that it has been raised with the Gliding Club and as all complaints they completely ignore them.

I've not personally experienced it happen though I was talking to a pony trap owner who was nearly "taken out a couple of years ago".

I'm just very careful when I ride along that road (by the end of the runway).

Ian