Rememberance Day - Remembrance Sunday ?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
NATURAL ANKLING

Rememberance Day - Remembrance Sunday ?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Why do we have both :?:
Seems more expense than necessary.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Remembrance_Day
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
landsurfer

Re: Rememberance Day - Remembrance Sunday ?

Post by landsurfer »

Worth every penny.
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Today is Armistice Day.
Eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. Anniversary (to the hour) when the Armistice was signed in 1918 putting an end to the First World War.

Remembrance Day is the nearest Sunday to Armistice Day and is when we remember the casualties of all conflicts.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
landsurfer wrote:Worth every penny.

OK, I (niggle) wonder what going on, curious.
It appears that it fell out of favour with joe public (armistice day) in 95 as it was nearest sunday (rememberance Sunday) so now its got its own day.
The queen (balcony) will like politicians turn out on the sunday.

It was of course from 1921 on the Monday of the week where 11th fell.......................

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Armistice_Day
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

No it's no fallen out of favour.
There were ceremonies in Callington at 11am today and also in Tavistock. I also understand there was one in Plymouth too. It the same every year and will no doubt continue. If it's fallen out of favour in your part of the world, I cannot comment.

Mick F wrote:Today is Armistice Day.
Eleventh hour of the eleventh day of the eleventh month. Anniversary (to the hour) when the Armistice was signed in 1918 putting an end to the First World War.

Remembrance Day is the nearest Sunday to Armistice Day and is when we remember the casualties of all conflicts.
Mick F. Cornwall
meic

Post by meic »

They do two different things. On Remembrance day you observe the remembrance of those who fell, fought etc at 11 minutes past 11 on the eleventh.
On Remembrance Sunday you get dressed up in your uniform or Sunday Best, close roads and parade at the monuments across the land(s).
The only time I have ever been to the parade on the eleventh, is when it was also a Sunday.
Yma o Hyd
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Lets get the terms correct please.
This is taken from page 5 of the Poppy Appeal booklet for this year.
IMG_0291.JPG
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:No it's no fallen out of favour.
There were ceremonies in Callington at 11am today and also in Tavistock. I also understand there was one in Plymouth too. It the same every year and will no doubt continue. If it's fallen out of favour in your part of the world, I cannot comment.

Mick F wrote:Today is Armistice Day.

You have misquoted me :!:
I said that (I quote from spoken media on BBC) the public had fallen out of favour with armistice day.

Remember my father was a sergeant major in WW2.........................
And I did MOD work too...No I never served.

I was just interested in why Armistice day had split from Remembrance Sunday.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I was just interested in why Armistice day had split from Remembrance Sunday.
Sorry if I misquoted you.

They are - and have always been - two different things. Nothing has split.
Mick F. Cornwall
NATURAL ANKLING

Hi,
Mick F wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:I was just interested in why Armistice day had split from Remembrance Sunday.
Sorry if I misquoted you.

They are - and have always been - two different things. Nothing has split.

OK.
BBC correspondent mentioned that in 95 they split to separate days (some countries make just Sunday just remembrance day nothing else) Can't find a site which gives full history at the mo.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

I don't know what he's talking about.
Remembrance Day is always on a Sunday and has been ever since I was a kid, and no doubt before.

Armistice Day has been the anniversary of the 11/11/11 since 1919 I would think.
Mick F. Cornwall
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

It's my impression that the commemorations on the anniversary of the Armistice ceremony are quite recent.

I was born in 1944 and Remembrance Sunday was all recall from my childhood. When I started work in France (1963) we had a couple of days off - the equivalent of bank hols - which everybody else obviously took for granted, to the extent that they didn't tell me and I was caught napping. One was Toussaint - All Saints - and the next the 11 November. (OTOH, they hadn't heard about November 5 :wink: )

I presume that Remembrance Sunday was originally chosen because it was a Sunday: the day of worship and one which the workforce would generally have off as well.

During my working life, I was on the organising end of several open air events / parades in this connection and I don't remember any on 11 November.

Nineteen ninety-five has been suggested as the time when this may have changed and I can believe that. Sunday, after all, is now a day like any other for much of the population, but with shorter shop-opening hours.

This isn't a comment on the importance of these ceremonies, just an observation about changes in society.
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

All I can say, is that things must be different in different places.

We have always had ceremonies at the towns' memorials 11/11/11 and we have always had civic/religious ceremonies on the nearest Sunday. Ours up the road is at 0930 today, complete with march-past. I will be laying a RN wreath.
We share Callington Town Band, so they go off to Callington for later.

Going back to my childhood, and as an adult. Nothing changed circa 1995. Not to my knowledge and not in my experience.
Mick F. Cornwall
pete75

Post by pete75 »

thirdcrank wrote:It's my impression that the commemorations on the anniversary of the Armistice ceremony are quite recent.

I was born in 1944 and Remembrance Sunday was all recall from my childhood. When I started work in France (1963) we had a couple of days off - the equivalent of bank hols - which everybody else obviously took for granted, to the extent that they didn't tell me and I was caught napping. One was Toussaint - All Saints - and the next the 11 November. (OTOH, they hadn't heard about November 5 :wink: )

I presume that Remembrance Sunday was originally chosen because it was a Sunday: the day of worship and one which the workforce would generally have off as well.

According to my 95 year old father in law Remembrance Sunday only started after WW2. Prior to the that the two minutes silence was at 11 o'clock on the 11th November.

According to Wikipedia
"In Britain, beginning in 1939, the two-minute silence was moved to the Sunday nearest to 11 November in order not to interfere with wartime production should 11 November fall on a weekday.

After the end of World War II, most member states of the Commonwealth of Nations, like United Kingdom and (as Canada in 1931), moved most Armistice Day events to the nearest Sunday and officially began to commemorate both World Wars. They adopted the name Remembrance Day or Remembrance Sunday."
'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
Mick F
Spambuster

Post by Mick F »

Yep.
That sounds right.

Armistice Day and Remembrace Sunday - two different things, and both are still extant and have always been in my memory.
Small ceremonies 11/11/11 and bigger ones on RS.

Circa 1995 is a red herring.
Mick F. Cornwall