Feral pigeons

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: Feral pigeons

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Overhead in the park

- ooh look granny, a mouse!

- no love, that was a rat
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote:Hmmmm..... seems to me, I'd do better to leave the starting of threads in Tea Shop to those* who are well versed in the art of launching a rip-roaring debate. And as for avoiding politics....

I'll merely say, attributing 'outrage' and 'shock' to Yours truly might be putting it a wee bit strong....

Thats me told off, heavens to murgatroyd :shock: .

But when I see later comments like below I realise that clearly some are most definitely not playing with a full deck :roll: .

mercalia wrote: One question most birds sing a song? do pigeons? cant say I have ever heard them mutter a single note:maybe if they did then they wouldnt be so hated?

mercalia wrote:next on the list I hope - send all the foxes packing and the grey squirrels :idea:
then the tourists then the labour supporters :wink:
ambodach

Post by ambodach »

Strange Old Windbag. I guess I live a few hundred miles north of yourself. The Collared Doves seem to have largely vanished from my part of Argyll. We do have a few of some variety of pigeon but certainly not woodpigeon. Some sort of hybrid due to interbreeding a bit like the crow family where there are all sorts of mixtures.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

ambodach wrote: The Collared Doves seem to have largely vanished from my part of Argyll.

I had to bury a decapitated, half eaten one yesterday, the result of a domestic cat kill. Cats actually do form part of the predator system here, most definitely where small mammals are concerned. But I have several other collared doves regularly visiting as well as nesting during the year. They actually are a new species to the UK having taken hold post war.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Here in Sussex we've also noticed the virtual disappearance of collared doves - though we see plenty in France. Have they developed a taste for warmer climes, I wonder? Of course - being an introduced species - their disappearance might be welcomed by some. But they're relatively harmless - although as a competing species, they have been held responsible for the near extinction in Britain of the native turtle dove :( .
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).