Feral pigeons

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
661-Pete

Feral pigeons

Post by 661-Pete »

A distraction, maybe, from all the politricking on this forum, but not a happy development in our garden.

We've been feeding, and watching, the birds visiting our garden for many years now. This autumn, for the first time, feral (street) pigeons have chosen to invade our back garden. There have been woodpigeons all along, ever since we've been living here - and as a native species they have always been quite welcome - albeit they do tend to take more than their fair share! But street pigeons are another thing altogether. I don't suppose they are much loved by anyone - aside from those kind-hearted but misguided souls who insist on dropping food for them in Trafalgar Square and the like. Certainly they are dirty, carry disease and cause damage - the designation 'flying rats' is not inappropriate!

Why have they suddenly appeared at our place after all these years? Not hard to guess - the developers have been busy 'filling in the gaps' with new high-density housing, so that is now virtually continuous built-up area between where we live and the Town Centre. A few years ago this was not the case, there were buffers of green belt which town pigeons are less likely to cross.

I don't suppose there's anything we can do other than bemoan the state of things. I was watching a confrontation, this morning on our lawn, between a woodpigeon and a street pigeon. I was expecting the woodpigeon, being a much larger and stronger bird, to see off the interloper. Alas! The street pigeon won the argument and chased off the woodpigeon. They're canny, those creatures!

So what next? This remedy? (OK OK a step too far perhaps...)
[youtube]yhuMLpdnOjY[/youtube]
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
old_windbag

Re: Feral pigeons

Post by old_windbag »

661-Pete wrote: Certainly they are dirty, carry disease and cause damage

Yes 661-pete, enough about humans it's the pigeons you don't like.

Lots of people live like this below, even though they are supposedly the most intelligent animal on the planet..... your feral pigeons don't live as such.

The tone of your outrage and shock that an outsider should come and share the food you put out for the birds brings home the attitude I often saw exhibited at a wildlife trust reserve. There were many animal fascists who attended there. Live and let live is a phrase I hear banded about wrt humans, how about applying it to wildlife too. Nature finds it's balance. Your pigeons are probably only looking to live in the suburbs for a better life away from the overcrowding of the trafalgar square pigeons, but we humans would never do such would we.
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

For long enough it was Collared Doves which I didn't welcome to my feeders. I wasn't bothered by them as such, but they were very partial to the rather pricey Niger Seed I put out to attract Gold Finches. I can't help thinking that all this bird feeding has some effect on nature. There was something recently suggesting that in some areas Blue Tits' beaks are getting longer, possibly to cope with bird feeders. In my garden at least, it means that the Sparrow Hawks have an easy time, with loads of small birds concentrated in one area.

I also can't help thinking that the RSPB's view on this is coloured by sales of bird food being a nice little earner.

It's dawned on me that I can't remember the last time I saw a Collared Dove. Perhaps somebody else is putting out Niger Seed. :? Anyway, "my" Gold Finches seem to be OK with peanuts and sunflower seeds.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well the London Flying Rats had to go some where since it is illegal to feed them in central London now and most spots where they could roost have those spikey things to stop them :lol: Glad to know they have found a new home :wink:
kwackers

Post by kwackers »

thirdcrank wrote:Niger Seed I put out to attract Gold Finches.

I've put niger seed out several times and nothing will touch it.
Sunflower hearts seem to be most birds favourite and coconut halves with the mush in seem to attract woodpeckers (and starlings).
sjs

Post by sjs »

old_windbag wrote:
661-Pete wrote: Certainly they are dirty, carry disease and cause damage

Yes 661-pete, enough about humans it's the pigeons you don't like.

Lots of people live like this below, even though they are supposedly the most intelligent animal on the planet..... your feral pigeons don't live as such.

The tone of your outrage and shock that an outsider should come and share the food you put out for the birds brings home the attitude I often saw exhibited at a wildlife trust reserve. There were many animal fascists who attended there. Live and let live is a phrase I hear banded about wrt humans, how about applying it to wildlife too. Nature finds it's balance. Your pigeons are probably only looking to live in the suburbs for a better life away from the overcrowding of the trafalgar square pigeons, but we humans would never do such would we.

I agree. I was quite shocked at the hostile reaction (as far as one can tell from the local facebook page) of many of the people in our village to the arrival on the duckpond of a pair of Canada geese. Oh, the mess, the danger to local children, etc etc et bloody cetera. Apparently the only valid rural idyll is one that looks like a golf course. Rant over.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

sjs wrote:I agree. I was quite shocked at the hostile reaction (as far as one can tell from the local facebook page) of many of the people in our village to the arrival on the duckpond of a pair of Canada geese. Oh, the mess, the danger to local children, etc etc et bloody cetera. Apparently the only valid rural idyll is one that looks like a golf course. Rant over.

:lol: , I like that "the danger to local children". Crikey they were delivered by a stork in the first place.... weren't they? :)

At present there have been flocks of around 500-1000 or so geese, predominantly canada and greylags feasting on the left over harvest grain in the stubble field. A nice sign that autumn is here with huge v-formations flying in depending on wind direction. Also bewick swans fly in but in much smaller number from russia I believe. The garden birds at this time of year comprise many migrants too, even though the species seen are those we see throughout the year. But to see redwings and fieldfares is another nice sign of autumn/winter together with orion popping up over the village in the evening, then it's time for mulled wine and christmas carols and another year over and another to begin :) . It's a nice life following the cycle of nature, seasons and the related path of the constellations but our ancestors would have literally lived by all of those signs.

I was a wildlife trust member for quite a few years but the attitude I encountered from so called "nature lovers" left me disillusioned and I thought best to save my money and invest it elsewhere. Rather than look out at and observe a generally self managing ecosystem, they wanted control and to exterminate those species seen as destructive or offensive in their world view. All rather quite sad and missing the point of being a naturalist I felt.
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

Hmmmm..... seems to me, I'd do better to leave the starting of threads in Tea Shop to those* who are well versed in the art of launching a rip-roaring debate. And as for avoiding politics....

I'll merely say, attributing 'outrage' and 'shock' to Yours truly might be putting it a wee bit strong....

*You know who? ....
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:well the London Flying Rats had to go some where since it is illegal to feed them in central London now and most spots where they could roost have those spikey things to stop them :lol: Glad to know they have found a new home :wink:

What will take their place if they have *upgraded* to the suburbs/country?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

IME, Canada geese are an example of what I meant about the effects of garden bird feeders, but without the sparrow hawks.

We have quite a large population of these birds nearby on the balancing reservoir built in the 1970's to control the flooding of Farnley Beck. The habitat must be ideal: landscaped grass banks, carefully planted trees and above all, no predators. Lots of people seem to feed them and there are various fast food outlets around there, where the only other scavengers are the foxes.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
mercalia wrote:well the London Flying Rats had to go some where since it is illegal to feed them in central London now and most spots where they could roost have those spikey things to stop them :lol: Glad to know they have found a new home :wink:

nothing. :D the few I see in Trafalgar Sqr there are chased by little kids or dogs. In speakers corner Hyde park last week end a few were being fed by some tourists. no more mess - can sit in a seat in one of the many London sqrs and no longer have to look up to the trees over head to see if you are likely to be pooped on. One question most birds sing a song? do pigeons? cant say I have ever heard them mutter a single note:maybe if they did then they wouldnt be so hated?

next on the list I hope - send all the foxes packing and the grey squirrels :idea:
then the tourists then the labour supporters :wink:
Last edited by mercalia on 12 Nov 2017, 6:41pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

mercalia wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:

nothing. :D the few I see in Trafalgar Sqr there are chased by little kids or dogs. In speakers corner Hyde park last week end a few were being fed by some tourists. no more mess - can sit in a seat in one of the many London sqrs and no longer have to look up to the trees over head to see if you are likely to be pooped on

+1
I just hope the librarians rule does not apply (nothing before something)
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
gaz

Post by gaz »

Feed the birds, tuppence a bag ...
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

gaz wrote:Feed the birds, tuppence a bag ...

wont work these days I think
thirdcrank

Post by thirdcrank »

gaz wrote:Feed the birds, tuppence a bag ...

Somebody above described pigeons as rats with wings and I've heard grey squirrels described as rats with bushy tails and better publicity. The only place I've seen red squirrels recently was in a rural part of Northumberland. If any came into our garden, they'd not need fancy dress to get fed.