Mozilla Firefox v 57.0

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Mozilla Firefox v 57.0

Post by mercalia »

hmm not sure I like it as all the addins no longer work eg noscript
seems like it is a radical rewrite
so beware about updating if you have addins that you really need
Last edited by mercalia on 15 Nov 2017, 11:24am, edited 1 time in total.
661-Pete

Re: Mozilla v 57.0

Post by 661-Pete »

I take it you're referring to Firefox. My PC has just auto-updated, but only to version 52.5.0 (32-bit version - perhaps yours is the 64-bit). No problems at the moment.
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

yes 64 bit version but I would think the 32 bit version will be the same just note that version 57 negates most if not all plugins as it is a rewrite of Firefox and wont support previous ones any more
meic

Post by meic »

Mine is trying to download the update as I type, making my internet even worse than usual.
I think that only Add-ons that are labelled with a big "Legacy" box will be lost, which for me is only the Google Image Search. This has been expected and compatible Add-ons have been available for some time now.
Yma o Hyd
meic

Post by meic »

I am back on the new Firefox Quantum as v57 calls itself.
The border has gone black and Google Image search has gone (but you can see a list of what has gone).
The other three Add-Ons are still there and working.
Rather annoyingly lots of things have changed position, why cant they just leave things alone. :x
Yma o Hyd
gaz

Post by gaz »

Win 10 64bit Firefox 56.0,2. It's got a message "Restart to update" but having done that twice no update has occured.

Oh well, something to look forward to :| .

Edit: Restatring the PC rather than just Firefox seems to have achieved the Quantum Leap.

We’ve rebuilt Firefox from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web today

Straight from the phrasebook of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Might as well have said "Share and Enjoy!"
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

gaz wrote:Straight from the phrasebook of the Sirius Cybernetics Corporation. Might as well have said "Share and Enjoy!"
"Here I am, brain the size of a peanut...."
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
Erudin

Post by Erudin »

Looks good so far, have had trouble with Firefox using to much CPU and freezing up on my old Win7 PC (mainly when running YouTube and Facebook concurrently) and this update seems to have fixed it.
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Just had the upgrade and was a little concerned from seeing the post here. Anyway all add-ons seem to be intact, bookmarks had to be brought back onto toolbar as icon to restore my original menu. Also as meic says they moved icons/buttons around such as home, reload etc. Arrrgh but something to get used to and perhaps to make it easier to transition from other browsers and get more market share.

But the standout for me at present is........ it's very fast, pages are accessed and loaded way faster than my previous version. That really stands from first impressions.

What you’ll notice first is that the new Firefox( government ) is blazing fast. In fact, you’ll enjoy speeds( decisions ) up to twice as fast as a year ago. It’s also more powerful. We’ve rebuilt Firefox( the UK ) from the ground up to focus on how you use the Web( the services ) today to watch, listen, create and play without limits. We’re excited to deliver a browser( UK ) that feels completely different — modern, quick and efficient. We think you’ll agree: It’s a quantum leap forward in how you’ll experience the Internet( UK ).

If only Ms May could use the firefox mission statement as her own.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

well I must be one of the few who (used to)use NOSCRIPT plugin as a way to stop web pages loading what ever thet want and doing what ever they want? That dont work now :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

mercalia wrote:well I must be one of the few who (used to)use NOSCRIPT plugin as a way to stop web pages loading what ever thet want and doing what ever they want? That dont work now :(

When I used to use Firefox I used to use the NOSCRIPT plug-in (as well as loads of others. These days I don't normally use Firefox and when do it's as a "vanilla" browser with no blocking (e.g. to check why something isn't working properly). Only Firefox plug-in I have now is the "Live HTTP Headers" - which can be really useful (and some "Safe Browsing temporary plug-in I don't remember ever installing).

Ian
gaz

Post by gaz »

meic wrote:The border has gone black ...

Fixed that in settings. Menu>Customise>Themes>Light.
High on a cocktail of flossy teacakes and marmalade
meic

Re: Mozilla Firefox v 57.0

Post by meic »

Me too, it is just the added hassle that somebody has imposed on you.
Though I will agree that I think it had started to grind down in speed over the years and this Quantum has noticeably revived that somewhat.
Yma o Hyd
mjr

Post by mjr »

https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/ claims noscript will be back this week. I think throwing all old extensions on the bonfire caused many people lots of work.
MJR, mostly pedalling 3-speed roadsters. KL+West Norfolk BUG incl social easy rides http://www.klwnbug.co.uk
All the above is CC-By-SA and no other implied copyright license to Cycle magazine.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

mjr wrote:https://hackademix.net/2017/11/14/double-noscript/ claims noscript will be back this week. I think throwing all old extensions on the bonfire caused many people lots of work.

well I am glad for that -I have been using a suggested alternative called UMatrix and it is too fiddly to get it to work eg by default Ebay Watch Lists doesnt show nor the suggested searchs until you enable certain things in the list and as you know all these things that web pages load are so cryptic dont tell you what they are so just suck it and see what happens when you enable them