What do the Germans get instead of leaves on track

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

What do the Germans get instead of leaves on track

Post by mercalia »

we all know why UK trains run late at this time of year seems like in Germany its a bit different

https://www.thelocal.de/20171115/high-speed-train-from-munich-to-berlin-abandoned-after-it-hits-wild-boar
Cyril Haearn

Re: What do the Germans get instead of leaves on track

Post by Cyril Haearn »

There are plenty of leaves on the line and branches on the catenary in Germany too, and many wild wolves, they are spreading all over and they do like killing and eating sheep. Lucky they can't swim the channel
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
661-Pete

Post by 661-Pete »

You weren't to know, of course, but this incident awakens sad memories for me.

Back in 1984, a friend of mine was on board an Edinburgh-Glasgow train which struck a stray cow on the line, at Polmont, near Falkirk. He was one of 13 passengers killed. :(
Suppose that this room is a lift. The support breaks and down we go with ever-increasing velocity.
Let us pass the time by performing physical experiments...
--- Arthur Eddington (creator of the Eddington Number).
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Rubbish ... the UK train operators spend millions of £'s on traction control systems to stop lack of adhesion being an issue .... but the press love a leaves on the line story ... accuracy or truth have no part in it ....
Me, Alex and Graham designed a fully variable sand based traction control system, currently fitted to 6 major fleets, that stops trains sliding under any circumstances.
Imput from WSP, TMS and the driver prevent slides caused by leaves, low adhesion, ice ...etc .....
But the press ..... just want a negative "leaves on the track' story......... :roll:
“Quiet, calm deliberation disentangles every knot.”
Be more Mike.
The road goes on forever.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

Just saw the newspaper, the lead story:
Entgleisung [derailment] in Elmshorn, it is some way from here and there is no convenient alternative, not like along the Rhein for example
I guess it is a story because it happens so seldom

Mind, the engine drivers sometimes forget to stop at Wolfsburg

At Colwyn Bay station (up platform) I saw a sign for the drivers: *are you stopping at Abergele*? Can anyone explain? :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
PDQ Mobile

Post by PDQ Mobile »

Cyril Haearn wrote:Just saw the newspaper, the lead story:
Entgleisung [derailment] in Elmshorn, it is some way from here and there is no convenient alternative, not like along the Rhein for example
I guess it is a story because it happens so seldom

Mind, the engine drivers sometimes forget to stop at Wolfsburg

At Colwyn Bay station (up platform) I saw a sign for the drivers: *are you stopping at Abergele*? Can anyone explain? :wink:

It's a bit like saying, "you have reached the end of the world"!

Only joking, I love dearly, really!
softlips

Post by softlips »

landsurfer wrote:Rubbish ... the UK train operators spend millions of £'s on traction control systems to stop lack of adhesion being an issue .... but the press love a leaves on the line story ... accuracy or truth have no part in it ....
Me, Alex and Graham designed a fully variable sand based traction control system, currently fitted to 6 major fleets, that stops trains sliding under any circumstances.
Imput from WSP, TMS and the driver prevent slides caused by leaves, low adhesion, ice ...etc .....
But the press ..... just want a negative "leaves on the track' story......... :roll:

Can't blame the press when the operators give it as a reason for delays.
[XAP]Bob

Post by [XAP]Bob »

softlips wrote:
landsurfer wrote:Rubbish ... the UK train operators spend millions of £'s on traction control systems to stop lack of adhesion being an issue .... but the press love a leaves on the line story ... accuracy or truth have no part in it ....

And it is a genuine issue - traction between hard steel rails and hard steel wheels is minimal, which also means that rolling resistance is minimal (a good thing), but means they can't climb hills well...

Add a layer of leaf mush and we all know what happens even with rubber and tarmac
A shortcut has to be a challenge, otherwise it would just be the way. No situation is so dire that panic cannot make it worse.
There are two kinds of people in this world: those can extrapolate from incomplete data.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
And it is a genuine issue - traction between hard steel rails and hard steel wheels is minimal, which also means that rolling resistance is minimal (a good thing), but means they can't climb hills well...

Add a layer of leaf mush and we all know what happens even with rubber and tarmac

Which is why sander systems spray the sand between the railhead and the tyre of the train wheel. On auto systems like ours the driver can manually select sand deployment as he starts to climb a hill and maintain traction all the way up. The auto function can be linked to a GPS system automatically starting the sand stream before the train arrives at a climb or known area of slippage. The Wheel Slip Protection system on the train automatically deploys sand if wheel slip is detected for more that 1 second.
Be more Mike.
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

Although leaves are a relatively small problem ....
I did a project for Swedish rail some years ago in Linkoping .... the fronts of the trains where inflatable, rather like having a RIB or similar type of boat bolted on to the train ....
Why ? says I ...ELK ! was the answer. You don't want to hit an elk at 60 mph .....
The inflatable front would still kill the Elk, but the carcase did not wipe out the driver as well .....
And yes, it would sometimes burst on impact, but with excellent shock absorbing properties
Be more Mike.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

[XAP]Bob wrote:
softlips wrote:

I am surprised some enterprising yobos havent greased the tracks some where for some fun :wink:
landsurfer

Post by landsurfer »

mercalia wrote:
I am surprised some enterprising yobos havent greased the tracks some where for some fun :wink:

Fun is regional..
Usually its shopping trolleys down south .... they glow white hot and melt as they lay across the third rail as the train approaches, then rip off all the brake hoses under the train !
Up north the preferred weapon of choice is the car battery in the 4 foot ..... It bounces down the underside wiping out hydraulics, brakes ... My Sander !!!, ... the axles and lots of other stuff ....
Strangely for Scotrail its the weather .... it loosens the ballast and creates carnage under the train .... and the occasional brick thrown from bridges as well, of course ...
In some parts of the Midlands they actually make the rails slippy with water, to stop the horrendous screeching as the train goes around tight curves.
They had to take the Class 14x fleet out of the West Country as they kept getting stuck in corners ..... no bogies ...DOH ! :roll:
Be more Mike.
meic

Post by meic »

Things have moved on from small stones and coins on the track to see them pulverised.
I guess that is a sign of progress and growth in the yobo industry.
Yma o Hyd
pete75

Post by pete75 »

landsurfer wrote:Although leaves are a relatively small problem ....
I did a project for Swedish rail some years ago in Linkoping .... the fronts of the trains where inflatable, rather like having a RIB or similar type of boat bolted on to the train ....
Why ? says I ...ELK ! was the answer. You don't want to hit an elk at 60 mph .....
The inflatable front would still kill the Elk, but the carcase did not wipe out the driver as well .....
And yes, it would sometimes burst on impact, but with excellent shock absorbing properties

Oh the fragility of modern trains. Doubt very much if an elk would trouble this.

'Give me my bike, a bit of sunshine - and a stop-off for a lunchtime pint - and I'm a happy man.' - Reg Baker
old_windbag

Post by old_windbag »

Theres a nice little picture of the above loco from 1968 on the last day of BR steam.

http://www.semaphoresandsteam.com/p407312067/h172F785#h172f785

And you can buy models of it too.