What English do you read, write, speak?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
Cyril Haearn

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Post by Cyril Haearn »

fausto copy wrote:
Cyril Haearn wrote:The EU wants people to be trilingual, fluent in two foreign languages, +1

Is that realistic? Does a standard brain have room for three languages?

I've always understood that the Dutch generally speak up to six languages.
Or is that another untruth?

Since retiring I've mostly reverted to just my one: English

How many did you speak before?
Cymraeg am byth!
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon, PoB, 30120
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we hate bullies
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Cyril Haearn wrote:The EU wants people to be trilingual, fluent in two foreign languages, +1

The brain has room for as many languages as get used regularly, although the vocabulary in one or more of them may suffer somewhat.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
― Nelson Mandela, Long Walk to Freedom
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

fausto copy wrote:

I've always understood that the Dutch generally speak up to six languages.
Or is that another untruth?

This is one of many things that the EU gather statistics on. According to the last report (2012) 77% of people in the Netherlands speak 2 or more languages in addition to their mother tongue, and 37% speak at least 3. English, German, and French are the most common. Although the Dutch seem to learn languages at higher rates than other European countries, it seems an exaggeration to say that they generally speak up to six languages.

http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/pub ... 386_en.pdf

p.s. the Dutch people I work with speak 4 or 5 languages, Dutch, Norwegian, English, and German. One of them also speaks Italian.
“In some ways, it is easier to be a dissident, for then one is without responsibility.”
pwa

Post by pwa »

In UK schools foreign languages are in massive decline. The schools just can't get the kids interested in taking a foreign language to GCSE or above. And as the numbers opting to take the languages decline, so does the numbers employed to teach them. Which means fewer jobs for those who study languages at uni.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

pwa wrote:In UK schools foreign languages are in massive decline. The schools just can't get the kids interested in taking a foreign language to GCSE or above. And as the numbers opting to take the languages decline, so does the numbers employed to teach them. Which means fewer jobs for those who study languages at uni.

Except in Wales :wink: (not a foreign language mind)
What can they get the children interested in?

Minus One, a downward spiral, has to do with This Madness too

I did French at school, German later, others did Russian, Latin, Chinese, +5
pwa

Post by pwa »

Cyril Haearn wrote:
pwa wrote:In UK schools foreign languages are in massive decline. The schools just can't get the kids interested in taking a foreign language to GCSE or above. And as the numbers opting to take the languages decline, so does the numbers employed to teach them. Which means fewer jobs for those who study languages at uni.

Except in Wales :wink: (not a foreign language mind)
What can they get the children interested in?

Minus One, a downward spiral, has to do with This Madness too

I did French at school, German later, others did Russian, Latin, Chinese, +5

The study of foreign languages in Welsh schools has been in steep decline for twenty years. We have reached a point where secondary schools are looking at whether they can continue to offer the option of A Level foreign languages with only one or two pupils opting for that each year. Even GCSE is under threat. This was going on long before the UK leaving the EU was seen as a serious possibility, so it has nothing to do with that.

One particular problem in Wales is that kids who are doing both English and Welsh at GCSE are reluctant to have yet another language as an option that would restrict the breadth of their overall options list.
Vorpal

Post by Vorpal »

Learning foreign languages is on the increase in Ireland. They have a government funded scheme to exchange teachers with other countries in order to speak & teach other languages. Because education is already in Irish and English, German, French, or Spanish become a third language to those who study them.

Many other European countries have such schemes, and most require languages as part of education from an early age. My children are taught in two languages at school, and introduced to others. In some parts of Norway, Sami and/or Kven are included in education from early years. Schools across the northern bits of Norway, Sweden, and Finland (I imigine it is the same in the neighboring bits of Russia) have to cope with between 3 and 5 mother tongues, and provide instruction in most, if not all of them.

Similarly in South America, Asia, and Africa , there are many local or indigenous languages, in addition to the main business language(s).

p.s. foreign languages used to be required on GCSEs, but that ended in 2004. That contributes hugely to the decline.
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

German joke about learning languages

-Sorry little Fritz, but your German is the worst of all my pupils, you get the lowest mark

-Je suis desolee, quel dommage! - said Fritz :?
Last edited by Cyril Haearn on 7 Dec 2018, 10:05pm, edited 1 time in total.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

what English is the male commentator speaking here in this British Transport Film? Dont seem to hear it these days?
Is the species now extinct? I would assume the home counties, but which part? "Rugby, who wants to go to Rugby?"
[youtube]QPkT0paGEnQ[/youtube]
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

In UK schools foreign languages are in massive decline

Includes grammatical English, too. When teachers say "I have went....." you know there are problems.
John
kylecycler

Post by kylecycler »

I once asked a young lad from Drongan, Ayrshire (Drungun, Ershur) if he could name The Beatles. It was around the time that Jenson Button, the racing driver, had been asked to name The Beatles and he couldn't (to be fair he was just young at the time, and The Beatles had only been 'current' before he was born)...

"Dae ah ken The Beatles? Aw aye, ah ken The Beatles, aye... Wan o' rum's cried Paul, an' 'e yissed tae be mairiet tae a Welsh burd wi' wan an' a hawf legs... Twae o' rum's deid... An' ah 'hink th' ither yin yissed tae be Thomas the Tank Engine."

Fame is but the blink of an eye... :wink:
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

What effect might b****t have on language teaching? Even fewer students learning foreign languages, or who knows, maybe more Chinese :wink:
NATURAL ANKLING

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
English might not be the most spoken worldly but it is regarded as most useful IIRC.
Probably because its the most comprehensive language I think, please correct me on that.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
Oldjohnw

Post by Oldjohnw »

The English language is like most of us: made up of bits of every other.
John
Cyril Haearn

Post by Cyril Haearn »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
English might not be the most spoken worldly but it is regarded as most useful IIRC.
Probably because its the most comprehensive language I think, please correct me on that.

Most comprehensive? No-one knows, there are so many diverse languages, no-one could know them all
Could have been quite different if the US had adopted German or Welsh or Spanish

Just heard Lisa Stansfield on the radio, she has a lovely Lancashire accent, +1