What English do you SPEAK?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
User avatar
NATURAL ANKLING
Posts: 10168
Joined: 24 Oct 2012, 10:43pm
Location: English Riviera

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby NATURAL ANKLING » 1 Jan 2019, 12:56am

Hi,
brynpoeth wrote:
NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
English might not be the most spoken worldly but it is regarded as most useful IIRC.
Probably because its the most comprehensive language I think, please correct me on that.

Most comprehensive? No-one knows, there are so many diverse languages, no-one could know them all
Could have been quite different if the US had adopted German or Welsh or Spanish

Just heard Lisa Stansfield on the radio, she has a lovely Lancashire accent, +1

English language has the largest vocabulary. Historically shares with german and dutch.
If You Don't Try You Don't Do.....Don't Do You Don't Get...I'm Still Trying....Well Very..
You'll Find Me At The Top Of A Hill...............Somewhere...After Dark..

ambodach
Posts: 789
Joined: 15 Mar 2011, 6:45pm

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby ambodach » 1 Jan 2019, 4:01pm

What language do they speak in England? I have had the misfortune to be phoning call centres in England recently. I have to ask them to repeat often until I get the gist of their information. They do sound like native English by the way and not imported. How can I get sub-titles on the phone? :(

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 1 Jan 2019, 5:00pm

ambodach wrote:What language do they speak in England? I have had the misfortune to be phoning call centres in England recently. I have to ask them to repeat often until I get the gist of their information. They do sound like native English by the way and not imported. How can I get sub-titles on the phone? :(

Some of the call centres are in India, some people there speak perfect English but have never visited, they are taught about British 'culture' too :wink:

Actually there is a lot of Estuary English down in England, plus Australian influence :?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
kylecycler
Posts: 617
Joined: 12 Aug 2013, 4:09pm
Location: Kyle, Ayrshire

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby kylecycler » 1 Jan 2019, 6:51pm

brynpoeth wrote:
ambodach wrote:What language do they speak in England? I have had the misfortune to be phoning call centres in England recently. I have to ask them to repeat often until I get the gist of their information. They do sound like native English by the way and not imported. How can I get sub-titles on the phone? :(

Some of the call centres are in India, some people there speak perfect English but have never visited, they are taught about British 'culture' too :wink:

Actually there is a lot of Estuary English down in England, plus Australian influence :?

"Look, ..."

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 1 Jan 2019, 6:54pm

Apparently call centres like people with regional accents, not too strong, the customers like them too, I do
Might be cheaper to run a call centre in Hartlepool than in Hemel Hempstead too, mind :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 275
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby Patrickpioneer » 18 Jan 2019, 9:00am

Wenglish
Pat

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 20 Jan 2019, 9:20am

Patrickpioneer wrote:Wenglish
Pat

North Wenglish, I bet people in Newport Gwent speak differently
Another chance to recommend a favourite book, Spoken Here by Mark Abley, about small languages
Abley was brought up in Canada, his parents told him they had emigrated from England but he got suspicious when he learnt to sing to the tunes of Hyfrydol and Rhosymedre
Turned out he was half-welsh, like me :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

User avatar
Patrickpioneer
Posts: 275
Joined: 25 Sep 2017, 11:18am
Location: Brynteg

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby Patrickpioneer » 20 Jan 2019, 3:59pm

brynpoeth wrote:
Patrickpioneer wrote:Wenglish
Pat

North Wenglish, I bet people in Newport Gwent speak differently
Another chance to recommend a favourite book, Spoken Here by Mark Abley, about small languages
Abley was brought up in Canada, his parents told him they had emigrated from England but he got suspicious when he learnt to sing to the tunes of Hyfrydol and Rhosymedre
Turned out he was half-welsh, like me :wink:


Oh dear me Bryn its dangerous telling me about books, i have just been and bought a used copy of the above (ebay) less money for chain oil again.
Pat

ps,, who's jacket is this coat then.

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 27 Jan 2019, 8:12am

Patrickpioneer wrote:Wenglish
Pat

More books about Wales, out of my head
Short stories by Kate Roberts (one may visit he home at Cae'r gors near Caernarvon)
I bought a mountain by Thomas Firbank, read that a few times
Austerlitz by W G Sebald
Another book that goes in several categories, history, novel, imagination
Sebald writes lovely long sentences in German, good in the English translation too and not too difficult I thought
Some of the action takes place at the train station in Antwerp, at Andromeda Lodge above Abermawddach and near Bala

His other books are good too
Rings of Saturn (travel, history, ramblings :wink:)
The Emigrants

Unfortunately Sebald died at 57, else he should have surely won the nobel prize for literature
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 29 Jan 2019, 4:48am

Positive thread alert, Plus One
People from little countries often speak good English
Just heard a couple of Danish people talking about the plan to erect a fence along the German border
One spoke almost perfect English, the other spoke almost perfect German :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 30 Jan 2019, 5:51am

What English do you write?
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Jun 2019, 8:20am

The Grauniad reports from Yorkshire, people should be proud of their Yorkshire accent, Plus One!
Should I be proud of my Oxford accent? :?

Mind, one of the linked articles about learning new languages gave economic growth as a reason for doing so, Minus One
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life

Hobbs1951
Posts: 338
Joined: 15 Apr 2014, 10:48am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby Hobbs1951 » 10 Jun 2019, 8:36am

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:Hi,
English might not be the most spoken worldly but it is regarded as most useful IIRC.
Probably because its the most comprehensive language I think, please correct me on that.


Consider this - English is spoken in more countries than any other.

I have a little French (lived there for five years) and Spanish, my daughter speaks fluent Chinese, German & Russian and lives in Berlin.

John.

merseymouth
Posts: 845
Joined: 23 Jan 2011, 11:16am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby merseymouth » 10 Jun 2019, 8:56am

Hi Guys, According to a few posters on this Forum I only speak "Rubbish" :oops: :oops: :oops: , with a little Scouse thrown in. IGICB MM

brynpoeth
Posts: 10108
Joined: 30 Nov 2013, 11:26am

Re: What English do you SPEAK?

Postby brynpoeth » 10 Jun 2019, 9:12am

Objection! I bet you have a gr8 accent MM Maybe you mean people disagree with your views + opinions :wink:
Entertainer, juvenile, curmudgeon
Cycling-of course, but it is far better on a Gillott
We love safety cameras, we love life