Mugabe the survivor?

Use this board for general non-cycling-related chat, or to introduce yourself to the forum.
mercalia

Mugabe the survivor?

Post by mercalia »

so he didnt resign :roll:
Is he just a senile old fool or just an obstinate man who wont led go?

Atleast he wont end up the way of Gaddafi, which is a shame?

I feel sorry for the ordinary people in Rhodesia who are celibrating his demise as it seems to me they will be disapointed what they get? just a change of name at the top but business as usual :cry:
NATURAL ANKLING

Re: Mugabe the survivor?

Post by NATURAL ANKLING »

Hi,
Yeh, not really a change that will bring a better life for the people.

And the world has watched for decades doing zilch.
NA Thinks Just End 2 End Return + Bivvy - Some day Soon I hope
You'll Still Find Me At The Top Of A Hill
Please forgive the poor Grammar I blame it on my mobile and phat thinkers.
meic

Post by meic »

I feel sorry for the ordinary people in Rhodesia

Of course when it was Rhodesia they were not even allowed to vote and the repression was just as violent.
Yma o Hyd
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

I think it has to be a step in the right direction. It's now when, not if, and the new leadership is lined up. Delicate, but not unmanageable.
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:
I feel sorry for the ordinary people in Rhodesia

Of course when it was Rhodesia they were not even allowed to vote and the repression was just as violent.

BBC reports he has agreed to resign as as long as --

"The source reportedly says Mr Mugabe and his wife will be given full immunity and protection for their private properties."

I cant see he has any cards to play to insist on that? He would be lucky to escape with his life rather than be taken out back and end up ina gutter?

oh so there wont be any reclaiming/redistributing his property that he and his have stolen from his fellow zimbabweans ( compare what he did to the white rhodesians)?
meic

Post by meic »

A quick Google shows Mugabe's net worth to be 10 million US dollars, compared to Tony Blair's £60 million.
Yma o Hyd
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

NATURAL ANKLING wrote:....
And the world has watched for decades doing zilch.

Except our (UK) Royal Family/politicians did decide to honour him with a knighthood in the 90's.

And it was not that long ago that our future king (Charles) was shaking hands with him at the Pope's funeral.

Ian
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

International diplomacy's seldom very clear-cut. There's no doubt he got worse as he got older :(
Psamathe

Post by Psamathe »

meic wrote:A quick Google shows Mugabe's net worth to be 10 million US dollars, compared to Tony Blair's £60 million.

I'm surprised it's that low. On TV last/the other night they were going on abut his many properties, incl. "residences" in S. Africa, house in the exclusive area in Singapore, etc. Properties alone must way exceed $10m.

Ian
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

Meic,Psamathe.
Spot on,
Mugabe is just like so many other "leaders" around the world, completely corrupt.
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
rjb

Post by rjb »

What do you expect - he's a Yorkshire lad in disguise. E Ba Gum!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But his replacement is deemed to be more brutal than the existing regime. :(
So it could very well be a case of out of the frying pan and into the fire!
At the last count:- Peugeot 531 pro, Dawes Discovery Tandem, Dawes Kingpin X3, Raleigh 20 stowaway X2, 1965 Moulton deluxe, Falcon K2 MTB dropped bar tourer, Rudge Bi frame folder, Longstaff trike conversion on a Giant XTC 840 :D
mercalia

Post by mercalia »

meic wrote:A quick Google shows Mugabe's net worth to be 10 million US dollars, compared to Tony Blair's £60 million.

you can bet he has various offshore accnts and also suitcases of $100 bills some where. One thin I have noticed about all? the African rulers/autocrats/despots is how FAT in the face ( and elsewhere ) they seem to be: clearly living the good life while their "subjects" starve or go short?
reohn2

Post by reohn2 »

mercalia wrote:

you can bet he has various offshore accnts and also suitcases of $100 bills some where. One thin I have noticed about all? the African rulers/autocrats/despots is how FAT in the face ( and elsewhere ) they seem to be: clearly living the good life while their "subjects" starve or go short?

Not just the Africans either .......
-----------------------------------------------------------
"All we are not stares back at what we are"
W H Auden
Bonefishblues

Post by Bonefishblues »

Indeed, isn't it just the case that in some societies one is able to be rather prouder of one's corruption than others?
djnotts

Post by djnotts »

Two aspects seemingly glossed over in most reporting. Did Mugabe "get worse"? No - "In fact, the signs of his attitude to opposition were there from the early 1980s, when members of the North-Korea trained Fifth Brigade of the army were sent to Matabeleland, home to his then rival, Joshua Nkomo. Thousands of civilians were killed..." His true colours always clear. Is his(likely) replacement "better"? No. All the evidence and past actions strongly suggest that quite as brutal and equally corrupt. Nickname the "crocodile" not apparently from his political attributes, rather his brutality.

All those celebrating the presumed change will see nothing new....